Sign in to follow this  
GaryD

Agri-Cube - Car Park Gardening

Hi Abe,

just what the world needs, more energy intensive food production systems...

I agree......but farm-in-a-box systems can, through integration and the use of passive heating and lighting systems, be made much more efficient than the Agri-Cube model.

Remember, this is probably more about tickling a journalist's fancy than anything else.

Gary

gardening related things are selling so good right now that most people dont stop to think if it is a waste of time or money... if you make it they will buy it... gardening is "in" right now. whether the product is practical or not.

I don't know if it is a money making project - probably an R&D thing if you ask me. Look at the Lexus LFA for another Japanese engineer's wet dream.

Also there isn't enough space in Tokyo to really consider fresh veg from a totally off grid system. It literally takes about 80km to get out of the centre of the city and even then land prices are insane. You would have to weigh the petrol prices versus the electrical cost of the system and then it might start making sense. As a lot of the apartments out here are made from the combination of steel skeleton clad in wood, designed to flex in earthquakes, roof top aquaponics then sounds like a real dodge prospect.

A lot of the people in Tokyo would love the idea of being surrounded in nature - I know I would - but the development of this metropolis hasn't really factored that in. I do dream of one day being surrounded by off grid grows but it seems like it isn't really an option here (unless you're mega rich and own some land in the city).

However, I do agree that they could have made it more efficient.