Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ColinW

Water Chestnuts in Aquaponics

9 posts in this topic

Today we harvested our Water Chestnuts... and a Silver Perch. Both ended up on our dinner plates... in a Stir Fry...

post-975-13795790094788_thumb.jpg

post-975-13795790095374_thumb.jpg

post-975-13795790095958_thumb.jpg

post-975-13795790096544_thumb.jpg

post-975-13795790097131_thumb.jpg

post-975-13795790097715_thumb.jpg

post-975-13795790098386_thumb.jpg

Hi Colin,

That's a great result.

Anything much involved in growing water chestnuts?

Gary

Hi Gary - simple to grow. I think our weather is not that good... but he... you never know if you don't give it a go. I'll see if I can get instructions up...

Shane - Yes... Silver Perch and Stir Fried Water Chestnuts unbelievably "Noice"!!!

post-975-13795790098972_thumb.jpg

Now that is a result. I'm still gathering a list of all the things I'd like to grow and WC's are going on the list...

Very nice Colin,

Water Chestnuts are the next thing to go in.

I wanted to add some about 5-6months ago but the seed corms were not in season, but they are now.

How many corms in how much area did you plant to get that harvest ? Ive got about 8m/sq area I would like to fill with them.

Cheers

Joe

Hi Colin,

Hi Gary - simple to grow. I think our weather is not that good... but he... you never know if you don't give it a go. I'll see if I can get instructions up...

Thanks for that. Your weather hasn't stopped you obviously.......nice little harvest.

I'm told that home-grown water chestnuts are much better than the canned variety. Was that your experience?

Gary

Hi All - started with 2 plants from CERES in Brunswick. First year not much growth - no harvesting until this year. Probably should have put more distance between the new plants that came up (allow about 100mm) - they were very crowded when harvesting. I think if they were further apart - they may have grown bigger. Regards - Colin

Colin,

I've only ever eaten canned water chestnuts (as far as I'm aware). Do the fresh ones taste a lot different?

Gary