Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adriaanw

Hi from Taiwan

29 posts in this topic

I am a foreigner living in Taiwan and have been reading and researching Aquaponics for about a year. I have read many forums about the topic, but most liked the ideas and helpfulness seen in this forum.

I am planning on setting up an aquaponics system full time over the next two months of my summer vacation, and the guidance from this forum I am sure will be essential. During the last month with the help of many people we built a greenhouse to keep the harsh elements of Taiwan at bay. I am planning a raft system combined with grow beds. I look forward to posting my progress and getting much needed advice from everyone.

Cheers

Adriaan

Hi Adriaan,

Welcome to the addiction of AP:)

Thanks Shane, I can believe that totally.

I need some advice on size of FT and filter tanks. I have a good size greenhouse about 100 sq meters and eventually plan to fill it with raft and media beds. I was thinking about starting with a 2000-2500 liter fish tank What would be a good size for swirl filter, bio filter and other filters?

Hi Adriaan,

I'm also in Taiwan, I'm living in Taipei.

Welcom and good luck with your project.

BTW where are you in Taiwan ?

Hi Craig,

I am down here in Taichung. The project is progression well, all the tanks arrived and we started building growbeds. Now I am struggling to find good pond liner to cover the grow beds, what did you use for your growbeds?

The expanded clay medium gets here on Wednesday, so will start with the plumbing and filtration this week.

This is my first system, so learning as I progress, hope to get some good advice on this forum.

Ambitious & impressive project Adriaan....congrats.

What have your temps been like inside the greenhouse ?

Hi Shane,

It is midsummer here in Taiwan, daily temp varies between 26 and 35 degrees Celcius. I have not checked temp inside the greenhouse yet, it is well ventilated with mesh up to 3 meters on the sides. The roof PEP cover blocks UV, and I put up a black cover to keep the tanks in the shade. I plan to fill up the FT today and test the temp of the water.

Looks like you are well on your way to getting some going.. Congrats. I live here in Taiwan too.. wonderful place to live for sure.. if you need help let me know I will do my best to help you out.. just PM me.

Hi Pugo, I sent you a PM regarding the filtration setup, seems like endless possibilities.

My expanded clay media and pond liner arrived today, will start with some of the plumbing today.

Yes I got a message that my inbox was full.. So I had to spend some time deleting things in my inbox. I think you will have to send your PM once again. I am sorry about that. If you are building on the scale you are talking about. I would look in to a sieve that well save you a lot of headaches in the future. The using a moving bed filter would also be a great thing. There are many ideas out there for filtration you have to look for the ones that don't create a lot of maintenance and cost. Plan something that can be used over and over. Taiwan if a wonderful place to grow vegetables as in the winter we can grow western vegetables and in the summer we can grow asian vegetables. Just those bloody insects have got me to the point of shutting down. as I have no room to build a nice green house. Those mini green houses just slow the bugs down but it doesn't keep them out.

Hi Pugo,

I like your setup with swirl filter, brush filter and MBF, my tank inlets and outlets are modeled on your system. I am thinking of starting with a swirl filter, then sieve filter or some other type of fine filtration system, then onto a trickling bio filter with expanded clay. I have a lot of expanded clay, so will try that first before buying K1 media for a MBF. I remember you had to order that stuff from China. I found a relatively cheap supplier of expanded clay in the south.

Bio balls or oyster shells would give you a better trickle filter. Yeah I had to order K1 from china, but I have never had to shut down ever. it is self-cleaning which will not be the case with your idea. And trust me you don't want to go outside in clean things in the summer. it is just to hot and with the added humidity a real killer, as I am sure you already know. But good luck on the system mine is still ticking a way. but it is so hot now I can't really plant anything. I just have a few things growing in it. thinking about planting some flowers in it. so the insects go away, then put vegetables back in later on this year. Maybe fill the grow-beds with Marigolds get a little revenge :) Gary said herbs may be a good idea too!

Started the plumbing today and got the first growbed to siphon, after some adjustment with the levels and overflow. post-6971-13795790148378_thumb.jpg

post-6971-1379579014596_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790146521_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790147122_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790147709_thumb.jpg

Looking good ! But one thing your return lines look small, you have to worry about bio film buildup in the pipes..

I have 1" supply to the GB and the same size for the return, do you suggest a bigger diameter for the return?

I tested PH the first time today, the water supply is 7.3, but my sump is at 8.3 after adding the expanded clay media. I assumed the media is PH neutral, but something is adding to the PH. I did not was the media before adding to the growbeds, will do a water change tomorrow and wash the other media before adding to the other growbeds.

One inch is two small for sure it will get plugged. 100mm pipe for the return will be the best option for you in the long run.. you can leave the one inch in the growbeds but the main return lines should be much bigger as they are gravity feed and collect build up over time.. even my 100mm pipe plugs up once in a while but because of it size it is easy to clean out.

That was good advice, I had some 80mm pipe around, changed the outflow and the siphons are working a lot better. I started cycling the system yesterday by adding ammonia, will be testing nitrites and ammonia over the next week. We finished the growbeds and will start the raft beds tomorrow. post-6971-13795790166059_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790163525_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790164287_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790165138_thumb.jpg

Hi Adiaanw,

I am also new to this forum. I have been involved in AP for about 8 months now, actively researching and testing to build a greenhouse system. In the past I have worked on Ranches and farms where we used the ponds for fish, and then used the overflow to feed and water our produce crop and some flowers.

One island we lived on, in the San Juan Islands in Washington State US, we were a bit too close to the shore and the fish quickly became dinner to the otters.

I am looking forward to seeing your successes and how you overcome some of the challenges that are unique to your environment.

Enjoy your Journey, for me, that is one of the best rewards! New Friends and new skills

My Best

Chris Downs

Hi Chris, it has been an interesting experience, learning new things everyday, this is definitely a long term project.

We started with the deep water rafts today, the aim is to experiment with all the aquaponics systems out there. I planted the first seedlings today, the system is in its 3rd day of cycling, waiting for the first nitrites to appear. Next week we will go searching for some fish fingerling suppliers. Here are some photos of today's progress.post-6971-1379579016807_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790167386_thumb.jpg

Looks really really good. I saw that you build your growbeds with timber/wood and cover that with plastic, i intend do that on my aquaponic system but i have no shure that is "safety food".

Good luck

Bernardo

After a week of testing the first nitrites appeared. In the mean time we have finished the first raft bed and the styrofoam arrived today. We also built a seedling bed and planted some lettuce today. Here are some photos of the recent progress.post-6971-13795790200808_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790198486_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790199082_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790199667_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790200221_thumb.jpg

I have not done an update for awhile. The greenhouse survived its first Typhoon last in Taiwan last week, only little flooding on the sides. After about ten days the nitrites have started going down, it has been a long cycling process. The raft bed started showing mosquito and biting midge larvae, so we added a few mosquito fish, which cleaned that very quickly. I ordered a hundred red tilapia fry today, they should arrive on Friday. We planted a lot of seedlings in the past few weeks, those are almost ready for transplanting.

Another long time since my last update. The system has cycled and the fish are doing well. So far we have only had success with cucumbers and lettuce, it has been too hot and humid for lettuce and basil. Here are some photos of the progress during the last month. The first photo was taken about two weeks ago, now the plants are above head height. post-6971-1379579034808_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790346099_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790346742_thumb.jpg

post-6971-13795790347442_thumb.jpg