Sign in to follow this  
Shane

Pulled Pork.

OK, been a bit too busy to post much on the recipe front lately....but heres a cook up I did a few weekends ago now.

Got a tad tired of taking chicken sandwiches to work for lunch....so it was time to take some pull apart pork in sandwiches instead !:tongue:

First off,

Grabbed a 2.3 Kg slab of Pork Neck (also known as Pork Scotch)....then made up a rub to put on it the night before cooking.

th_P6010016.jpg

Smeared the entire pork neck with mild American mustard.

th_P6010017.jpg

Then applied the rub to the surface.

th_P6010018.jpg

Then wrapped the pork neck in glad wrap & popped it into the fridge for 24 hours.

The rub I used was made up of....

1 Tbsp chilli powder

1 Tbsp cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp sea salt

1 Tbsp ground black pepper

1 Tbsp sweet paprika

1 Tbsp ground cumin

1 Tbsp garlic powder

1 Tbsp onion powder

1/2 cup brown sugar.

:)

The idea is to finish up with a crunchy "Mr. Brown" crust on the exterior....and just "fall apart" pork on the inside when its time to shred it.

Wanting to cook this low & slow on the kettle BBQ outside....& knowing it weighed 2.3 Kg....I estimated I was in for anywhere from a 13-15 hour cook (before resting the meat)....so an overnight cook was the way to go.

Got the kettle BBQ ready, plonked in the slab of neck & inserted the digital thermometer.

An hour after the meat went in I had to close the top & bottom vents a tad to keep the internal temps of the kettle down low.

Then I jumped into bed for 7 hours shut eye:tongue:

Woke up & checked the temps hadn't risen too much after 7 hours of cooking....all was good.

Using a spray bottle I quickly opened the hood of the kettle & sprayed the neck with a good dose of 100% apple juice.

I continued to spray the surface with apple juice every hour after that.

After 14.5 hours of cooking the internal temp of the neck finally reached 190 Degrees Farenheit (as I set on the thermometer).

I removed the meat from the BBQ, gave it another spray with juice, then triple wrapped in aluminium foil, then wrapped the foiled meat in a towel & placed it in an esky to rest.

3 hours later I removed the rested meat from the esky & unwrapped.

Nice crunchy brown exterior....just as I wanted.

th_P6030022.jpg

Then shredded the neck with a couple of forks.

th_P6030023.jpg

Then it was time to make my sandwiches....YUM !:)

Shane I will have to try you dry rub. Mine does not have the cumin and onion powder.

I lived on apartments for a time and they frowned on grills. So I came up with this for a crock pot.

4lbs pork shoulder or butt.

For 24hrs in the frig, marinate the pork in apple cider.

Place pork and cider in crock pot with 1 chopped onion. Cook on low setting for at least 18hrs.

Remove from crock and shred. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste. Smother in BBQ sauce if desired.

No it won't have that lovely smoke ring that a properly done BBQd pork will have, but its a passable substitute when you have no other choice.

Looks good Shane.

Nice.. I'm gathering parts for a drum smoker, and will have to try this in it when it's done..

I'd love to see some pics of it when you begin the build Amph.

Just don't forget to take any washing off the clothesline before you fire the smoker up....unlike my first time !:tongue:

Shane I will have to try you dry rub. Mine does not have the cumin and onion powder.

Hi John,

I got the ingredients for that particular rub from an American meat website.

I love trying the different rubs (& accompaning sauces) that different regions of America have come up with.

That said though, I didn't make up the accompaning sauce for the above rub....I got lazy & just whipped up some instant gravy to pour over the pork in my sandwiches !:tongue:

IMO you guys Stateside, seem take your meat preparation & BBQ'ing far more seriously than the average Aussie does.

Shane, they have regional and national cookoffs here. Very serious competition wise. Three typical BBQing styles here -- Memphis, Kansas City and Texas. The rubs differ and whether the sauce is used in cooking or placed on the side.

Shane, they have regional and national cookoffs here. Very serious competition wise. Three typical BBQing styles here -- Memphis, Kansas City and Texas. The rubs differ and whether the sauce is used in cooking or placed on the side.

Yes, I've watched a program on pay TV that showcased one of those pretty big cookoff's,

IIRC the event was sponsored by a Bourbon company...might have been Jack Daniels ?

I was positively drooling over the resulting Ribs, Brisket etc that they produced on their various BBQ's.

The pride they took & displayed with the end presentation of their dishes was absolutely first class.

The results they showed were what I aspire to in BBQ cooking,

I'm no way near as good as them...but am happily taking small steps in the right direction.:P