Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GaryD

Rats

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

Rats are another prospective form of micro-livestock.

You can breed and rear them for sale as pets, laboratory stock or as food for reptiles or raptors.....and you can even eat them yourself.

People from many cultures eat rats. In my view, if they are fed clean rations, there should be no reason why they ought not appear on the menu.

Anybody tried them?

Gary

PS......It should be pointed out that Jan (my partner) has a completely contrary view. She believes that, if I was to eat a rat, it would be an act of cannibalism.

Hi,

Rats are another prospective form of micro-livestock.

You can breed and rear them for sale as pets, laboratory stock or as food for reptiles or raptors.....and you can even eat them yourself.

People from many cultures eat rats. In my view, if they are fed clean rations, there should be no reason why they ought not appear on the menu.

Anybody tried them?

Gary

Nope,

Never tied breeding, rearing....or eating them !

Have feed them pretty well in the past though....the wild little bu#ger$ in my area have torn through a heap of my Tommies on several occasions in the past couple of years....until the traps & baits took control of them.

PS......It should be pointed out that Jan (my partner) has a completely contrary view. She believes that, if I was to eat a rat, it would be an act of cannibalism.

hahaha....Jan's gotten in with a good whack there !:tongue:

I don't think I have eaten them to date but one never knows living in Asia..:)

Hi,

Muslims and Jews know that I'm going to hell for my consumption of pork, crustaceans, shellfish, rabbits and a host of other foods.

Even my own friends and family regard my consumption of offal (like hearts, kidney and livers from a variety of birds and animals) as one step too far when it comes to food taboos.

What we eat, for the most part, seems to be driven by social conventions rather than nutritional value. Much of the social convention seems to be premised on traditional availability.....and also historical religious direction.

People eat all manner of things for all sorts of reasons. Look at the currently darling of the stuffed fish lips brigade - coffee from beans that have been through a civet cat before roasting.

For my money, if the food is grown and processed in hygienic conditions.....and it tastes good.....eat it! Rat's included.

Gary

Amen to that.

Im more interested in reduced the grocery bill myself....go to the store come out with 3-4 bags and its $100...Ridiculus

If the thought of what it is, is the hold up Ill cut it into smaller pieces :P

Just as a point of order. Here in the US to offer an animal for laboratory testing you have to be certified by USDA and FDA if the tests are intended for human results. Probably not a proposition worth perusing for the small operator.

OK John.

I guess that means you'll have to eat your rats yourself then.

Gary

I used to breed and show fancy rats and mice many years ago. Never even thought about eating them. Although my husband has mentioned that he would try eating a Guinea Pig.

Hi QR,

It's strange twist that we both live in a state where it's legal to keep and breed rats.......but not farm rabbits.

Anyway, I probably struggle a bit with the idea of eating rats. Like your husband, however, I'd probably be willing to try eating guinea pigs......when Her Serene Highness is looking the other way.

Gary

Guinea pig is yum tucker. It's a staple in Peru. Can't see there'd be a lot of difference in eating home-reared rat. Nothing like rabbit, it has a flavour and texture of its own I think. Maybe wild rabbit would be similar because it doesn't have the blandness of farmed rabbit.

I doubt there'd be much market in lab rats - wouldn't they be like the mice and need to be VERY carefully bred to ensure minimum genetic diversity? Maybe only breed the smart ones and then you sell them to psychology depts for that kind of testing.

Or breed the pretty ones as marriage partners for lawyers and politicians... :D Could be a good market there. :wink:

know a guy who had a Mole-Rat problem in his garden, took out his revenge and ate one, enjoyed it. He now considers himself fortunate to have them around as a source of protein, of coarse the Mole-Rats don't agree!

craig1267 likes this

Hi,

Maybe wild rabbit would be similar because it doesn't have the blandness of farmed rabbit.

Farmed rabbit is a meat of choice for people who can really cook......nothing like their dry stringy wild cousins.

I know there are ways to cook wild rabbit......but farmed rabbit starts where wild rabbit leaves off.

I like the idea of using rats as marriage partners for lawyers and politicians....... although they'd both have to come to terms with the fact that there are some things that not even a rat will do.

Gary

I like the idea of using rats as marriage partners for lawyers and politicians....... although they'd both have to come to terms with the fact that there are some things that not even a rat will do.

this is beautiful, tears to my eyes.

p.s you do realize that i am going to use the bubble thingy ad nauseum now!

this is beautiful, tears to my eyes.

Those who know me well understand that I'm a sick ol' puppy.

p.s you do realize that i am going to use the bubble thingy ad nauseum now!

Practice makes perfect. Now that you've got a handle on quotes, I suggest you open your camera instruction book. No more sideways pictures!

Gary

Gary,

I use to breed rats for my snakes. Finding live pinkies for small snakes was a task, so i started to breed my own. I did some research on kingsnake.com under the ball python forum on how to breed rats. The name of the game is maintaining breeding temps, a low stress environment, a separate container for the male when babies are born, a high protein diet, reducing waste of rat food and its always a challenge to keep the rat urine smell down (cedar is poisonous to snakes). Basically I used a large surface area plastic container but with no more than the height of a large rat standing upright. The containers require strong latches on the lid to keep the rats in. The food and water trough was made of galvanized mesh with large enough holds for the food to hang through and the rats to get. I then spit it and put a water bottle on the other side. I used many different beddings, but found recycled newspaper in a pellet form to hold the most waste and a good material for the rats to chew on. I could go on and on about rats, food, breeding rates, stress, temps and so on. If you have any questions just let me know, I might know if not im sure someone on kingsnake will.

NJC,

Rats and mice could well play a role in an integrated food production system. Even if they were not a primary food source for people, there's no reason why they couldn't become a protein source for something else.....like chickens, quail, ducks, turkeys and pigs.

Luke,

After reading your post, I googled "mole rats" - intriguing. One thing's for sure......if you decided to eat the ugly little buggers, you wouldn't be competing with Muslims and Jews for them as a food source. They practice copraphagy - they eat faeces.

How big do they get?

Gary

Gary,

I would think the time to prep the rat for the chickens, quail, duck, turkey would out weigh the benefit. Hair would be an issue. Yet there are hairless rats. Pigs Im sure would eat anything. Below is a pic of the cages I was suggesting in my earlier post. This has cage limited surface area which isn't ideal. I've found the more surface area the less stress on the rat. Low amounts of stress allows more breeding, less fighting and limited cannibalism of the offspring.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVEfWcnvztnvCSU47JuVC_FOSj8eu2zJir65AFQ5G0X51nlSfY

Gary,

This thread is priceless... In light of some of the things I've eaten while traveling the world... Rats sound pretty good. Pretty much managed to get my feet on the ground just about everywhere except where you are... Its on my list... :)

Hi Robert,

This thread is priceless... In light of some of the things I've eaten while traveling the world... Rats sound pretty good. smile.gif
I read about some people eating mole rats (handsome creatures that they are) just the other day.
Pretty much managed to get my feet on the ground just about everywhere except where you are... Its on my list...
Let us know and we'll chuck another shrimp (referred to as a prawn in Oz) on the barbie for you (assumes Paul Hogan/Crocodile Dundee drawl).

Gary