Sign in to follow this  
GaryD

The Green Wheel

Nice setup there in wheel shape and in a Volkswagen. I like your setup but here my question is that will it be more production worthy so that we also can try this kind of experiment.As you have mentioned it is more productive than the other systems.

Gary,

Clean... as in the water or the containers holding the plants? I agree with the water. I'm thinking maybe a enlarged reusable K-cup with a split sponge at the top for a sprout to grow out of, while keeping any grow media in. This would then be secured to the wheel and is dipped into the water. My concern is getting the bacteria to grow in the cup, ensuring the Nitrates were getting to the plants and that the water is being filtered. Maybe a delayed rotation of a few minutes allowing the plants to sit in the water and then it rotates to the next row of plants?

No.....I meant keeping the various pipes, hoses or drains clear. I've found that small diameter hoses (anything much less than 3/4") tend to clog up with biofilm when connected to a fish tank.

My concern is getting the bacteria to grow in the cup, ensuring the Nitrates were getting to the plants and that the water is being filtered. Maybe a delayed rotation of a few minutes allowing the plants to sit in the water and then it rotates to the next row of plants?
I'd be making sure that I had adequate dedicated filtration so that I didn't have to rely on the Green Wheel for nitrification. Nitrifying bacteria are not as localised as you appear to think.....they exist right throughout the system.....but they are to be found in the bio-filter (and all system surfaces) in greatest numbers.

Gary

These things definitely have the "cool looking" factor going for them, but I would think a better "wheel" type design would resemble more of a ferris wheel, where media filled trays would be rotated around the wheel and then skim the water of a reservoir at the bottom portion of the wheel. It would allow for a very precise "flood" level for the beds, with no channeling issues, and would also allow for very tight control over the flood intervals and duration by adjusting the rotation speed of the wheel.

Not that this would necessarily be a good idea either.... hehe.