Sign in to follow this  
bushboy

non food plants in ap systems

I have another new system cycling and already have enough vegies growing (along with our soil beds as well)

I am looking for some ideas on plants that will suck up nitrate well - maybe provide some nice flowers.

there are 2 x 250l beds available

any suggestions appreciated

Hi Tom,

Here are few possibilities:

• duckweed
  • marigolds - some species are good for deterring insects
  • fodder plants for chickens.....amaranth, chou moellier, etc.
  • loofah - great for defoliating dry skin - may even be useful as a filter media
  • many species of flowers.

Gary

thanks Gary

I am thinking of trying some native desert flowers - desert rose/desert pea etc

the reasoning being that they come up after a wet season in the desert

and gravel growbeds are perfectly drained.

I have some seed packets from our trip last August

they'll either grow or rot! I have no idea how much nitrate they will use

up though

I'll let you know in a few months time

Tom,

After a recent visit to Tassie, I was very intererted in their production of this plant near Forth: they now are the second largest producers in the world. It would be a great non-food crop and may assist in your other areas.

Pyrethrum dasies could be an AP goer? Have a look at this site; http://www.botanicalra.com.au/

Cheers IanK

I've got amaranth seeds but have never had a lot of luck growing them. Mainly forgeting to water them.:D Will have to try them in AP. Hope they don't end up being the weed that I get in the back yard. It kind of looks like amaranth but not having grown it long enough I can't tell.

Hi Gary,

Yeah, I thought about that too, especially in a closed loop system.

But the active ingredients break down so quickly in sunlight that they wouldn't pose a threat, even though fish aren't really a warm blooded animal. When I saw them growing, I was fly fishing a section of a river that went through the middle of acres of the daisies and I know that it didn't affect the trout. The active ingredients are also non-accumulative and environmentally friendly. Apparently it takes a reasonably complex process to extract them out of the flowers as an oil, so I don't think they would be available as "free" agents in any sufficient quantity to be active.

Anyway, it was just a thought and at least you would have plenty Chrysanthemums for Mother's Day . . . ;)!

Cheers IanK.

This is going to be just a bit out there . . .

There's this guy in France (Patrick Blanc) who creates whole walls of hydroponically grown plants . . . and many of the base systems are aquaponic.

Here's a few of my favorite links of his stuff:

Article on what he does

Video interview prior to his Melbourne project (video link is down the page just a bit)

Article about the Melbourne project

If you do a google on him you will find the systems he's done which involve fish. One of the video interviews I watched shows a couple of his fish systems.

Nori

Hi Ian,

.....so I don't think they would be available as "free" agents in any sufficient quantity to be active.

Thanks for that......I didn't know what the effect of growing pyrethrum daisies might be. I know the final product will kill fish.

Gary

On 12/14/2008 at 7:31 PM, Jason Palenske said:

I have a Red hesitant, a Begonia (Sp) and a Philodendron that are very happy right now.

I just wanted to make sure Philodendron is safe in the same system with edibles. I have an existing koi pond (no koi at the moment) that has Philodendron in it. I've started tomatoes, cantaloupe, chives and marigold in containers. My Grandson and I are planning to build the system over the next few weeks as a way to make learning gardening fun for him.  If Philodendron doesn't mix with edibles, I can pull it out and drain the pond.