Sign in to follow this  
Guahan

Water readings in a hydroponic system

In a haste to get my AQ system running I lost several fish and decided to switch one of my grow beds over to HP. I know that 6.8-7 is good for the ph but what about all of the other readings. Nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity?

All input will be appreciated.

In a haste to get my AQ system running I lost several fish and decided to switch one of my grow beds over to HP. I know that 6.8-7 is good for the ph but what about all of the other readings. Nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity?

All input will be appreciated.

What are the readings to be concerned with? I'm guessing Ph and TDS.

You want ammonia and nitrite to be zero after cycling. Nitrate levels are up for more debate. My system runs at zero without problems, but some people run at 80ppm or more. I think a measurable level is desirable, maybe a bit higher for leafy greens than fruiting plants.

TDS is going to depend are your source water and whether you salt or not. There is no ideal level, but you don't want it too high.

You want ammonia and nitrite to be zero after cycling. Nitrate levels are up for more debate. My system runs at zero without problems, but some people run at 80ppm or more. I think a measurable level is desirable, maybe a bit higher for leafy greens than fruiting plants.

TDS is going to depend are your source water and whether you salt or not. There is no ideal level, but you don't want it too high.

What would be considered high? What does salt do?

High level of salts will inhibit plant growth. Strawberries are one of the first garden plants that will see the effects. Some people salt their AP systems to 3ppt for the fish, but don't go any higher than that.

EDIT - For a pure hydroponic system ammonia and nitrite are okay.