Sign in to follow this  
helomech

My chicken coupe and rabbit cages.

Doesn't look like you will be in need of eggs or meat for the table..:) Looking good.

Thanks, with the wild hogs and wild deer we don't buy any meat. Just processed our first rabbits this week. They where almost 3 months old and weighed 3 lbs dressed out.

I miss eating rabbit. Here in Taiwan they think they are some kind pet. Like dogs and cats.. But they eat frogs, turtles, snails etc etc. But in China if it moves it is food so they cook it..LOL If I could find the room I would keep them. But space is limited. I would really like to keep quail but I know this would make my neighbors crazy.

I never heard of rabbit farming before. I eat a fair amount of wild rabbit and I have family that bottle rabbit to preserve it.

They are great for farming. Take up very little room, are easy to deal with, provide lots of meat. I have always eaten wild rabbit till this week and I think I rather these.

Hi Helomech,

Farmed rabbits are great food - congratulations on your new arrivals.

Snakes are good food, too......for those who are allowed to trap and eat them.

Gary

Not much meat on these snakes, they are long, about 5 feet, but very skinny. Rattlesnake is good though.

We keep a rabbit. It's a pet, not for eating. Lately it has started getting quite aggressive. This surprised us but it has bitten me on one occasion and now we need to be very cautious when handling it as it will snap. A few days ago I wanted to clean the cage and so offered it some lettuce leaves so I could catch it. As son as the lettuce was in the cage, the bunny lunged at the leaves and tore them to pieces. Sounds strange but this is one defensive rabbit. I am thinking we may need to get it a mate as it is a female rabbit. Just that we don't really want more than one bunny. It has had a traumatic life, attacked and nearly killed a couple of times by tree ants that nearly blinded it and on one occasion a black cobra was inside its cage.

Dave

Hi Helomech,

Avoid handling the kittens, too much, Your scent will confuse the mother and she might get anxious and injure or kill them.

Gary

So far we have not seen our scent effect them. She just lays there while we look at her babies. But thanks for the advice, we will keep that in mind and try not to mess with them much.