Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helomech

Helomechs system

299 posts in this topic

When done we should have at least 3k gallons of water, and over 100 grow beds. Also hoping to do some DWC tanks.

Compared to what are you doing, I'm like a kid playing in sandbox. :P

I can't wait to buy some land and turn my plans into reality.

giddyup

I have a good bit of land, 65 acres. Got all my animals and aquaponics on about 3 acres the rest I just use for hunting and growing pine trees.

Well almost done with the temporary greenhouse. Just have to pull it tight in a few spots. I am trying to not make any cuts in the covering because it is large enough to cover the entire structure when I get it finished.

It is a little further along than in this pic, I took care of all the extra covering laying on the ground.

485096_2511797650515_1725634414_n.jpg

It's looking good Helo.

I went back and read your entire thread. With all respect, I remember seeing some of those first pictures when you had just begun digging. I remember thinking, "This guy's a little crazy, or really ambitious." Now I realize you are both. Great work on the structure. It is very impressive. I am sure it will be more impressive once finished.

Prost

It's looking good Helo.

I went back and read your entire thread. With all respect, I remember seeing some of those first pictures when you had just begun digging. I remember thinking, "This guy's a little crazy, or really ambitious." Now I realize you are both. Great work on the structure. It is very impressive. I am sure it will be more impressive once finished.

Prost

LMAO, thanks. I figured we just as soon do it right the first time. I was hoping I would be finished with the building by now (11 months after I started) but it got more expensive and bigger as we started building.

Had the first cold spell since I put up my greenhouse. It got down to about 35 F/1.6C last night and my greenhouse never went below 53F/12C. Tonight it is supposed to get to about 27F/-2.7C we are going to add some supplemental heat by using a gas burner to heat 40 gallons of water. Looking forward to seeing how it does. Right now it is 83F/28C and 43F/6C outside. So it is doing great.

Hi helomech,

Your greenhouse & system is looking great.

Hope you get good night temps from all your efforts.

Well Done !

Cheers

Joe

Thanks, the lowest temp I have seen so far inside the green house was 48F, and it got down to the 20's that night.

Hi helomech

Your system along with your home food production is really looking good. I am envious of your ability to have Tilapea and the fact that you can breed your own fingerlings. Thanks for your video.

Cheers

Joey

We just moved another female with eggs to our 10 gallon tank, and moved the one with the live babies to our 55 gallon tank. So we have 1 female with over 100 babies, and 2 more females with eggs. After the babies stop going in the moms mouth we will move the mom back to the main 55 gallon tank where the breeding occurs. All the new babies will stay in the 55 gallon tank to grow for the winter.

Hi helomech,

It must be cool to be able to have fish that give birth..I'd particularly like to do tilapia but our tough environmental laws in the state of SA prohibit anyone running tilapia...Also we have cool water down here, I'm not sure how they'd survive anyway.

Cheers.

I think with my greenhouse I can keep the tilapia alive all winter. If not I have 25 adult tilapia inside and they are having babies so I can replenish for summer.

Thanks this green house is just temporary. Hopefully my permanent one will be finished before next winter.