Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tpilk

Are you familiar with this operation?

12 posts in this topic

Well it looks like a successful commercial Aquaponics farm to me. Nice find tpllk.

Interesting article trmikkola.

I may be totally off base here, but it would appear this operation is not operating on it's own, much like many we've seen.

I wonder what or how much participation by the University is involved, either financial or personnel?

I was hoping we might have found a stand alone, profitable operation at last...

Hi Tpilk,

The good thing is that some universities are undertaking research into these sorts of farming options.

Most of them are too busy strutting their stuff on Wall Street.....and, while they don't look much like hookers but they're in the same business.

Gary

I agree. My comment was to the point that University participation, be it financial, staffing or whatever, means that they could be receiving assistance. I think many of us would really like to finally see an operation running independently. Nothing wrong with partnering, I just thought maybe these guys were doing it on their own when I first ran across the link.

Hi Tpilk,

Like you, I'm interested in seeing someone provide information about a working aquaponics farm that derives its income from the sale of fish and plants.

As you've indicated, the university link suggests that they're getting support of some kind.....even if it's in-kind support like student labour. Any support at all is likely to skew the viability of the operation.

My positive response to the university's involvement went more to the potential availability of empirical data - something that AP needs much more of.....to replace the aquarium shop voodoo that often passes for true knowledge currently.

Gary

I went and visited these guys a few weeks ago. Their father started it with the two boys and have now turned it over to the boys. They lease the property from the University and they paid for everything themselves. The only involvement with the university that would effect their bottom line would be the fish. A professor at the university takes care of the fish. They do not produce fish for sale and in fact have had some of the same fish for over two years. Some biggins in the tank. They have about 3500 talapia. They grow basil only. I think it is 28,000 dozen per year. They are in 91 supermarkets. Have been doing this since 2006. I was told they had to make a decision in the beginning to either reduce the amount of fish or get a filter. They opted to a reduction in fish and it has worked.

David

Hi Tpilk,

Like you, I'm interested in seeing someone provide information about a working aquaponics farm that derives its income from the sale of fish and plants.

As you've indicated, the university link suggests that they're getting support of some kind.....even if it's in-kind support like student labour. Any support at all is likely to skew the viability of the operation.

My positive response to the university's involvement went more to the potential availability of empirical data - something that AP needs much more of.....to replace the aquarium shop voodoo that often passes for true knowledge currently.

Gary

Just found this one! They are teaching commercial AP. Greater Growth LLC

I just saw where Gary had already posted about this place sorry for the duplication, but sounds like a great place!