Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helomech

Catfish dying?

140 posts in this topic

Thank you so much. I am going to stick with tilapia, even though I have never tasted them, I hear they are great. I put a small air pump in that I got from walmart last night (the rain kind of caught me off guard yesterday). Going to order a better one soon.

I have had both good luck with Catfish, and a couple of bad experiences too.......

I have some 3ft+, 5 to 6lb catfish in the Greenhouse tank, that i got from Overtons, that i got at the same time as the tilapia, and they spawned last year, and their are quite a few 1ft catfish in there now...

I bought some more 6" to 8" catfish from Overtons, and they were growing real good in the outside system, until the electricity went out during the night for a few minuets, and then the sump pump did not come back on when the electricity did, so the next morning all the catfish were dead. If i had air stones going in the tank at that time, i think they would have made it. The 3rd batch of 6" to 8" catfish from Overtons, i put in the outside system, all died over night for no good reason that i could tell, as the pump was running.... they just may have been too stressed out because the water PH may have been to different from the water they had been in, or something like that. I was real bummed about that. And will have to get a new batch some time soon.......

I have had both good luck with Catfish, and a couple of bad experiences too.......

I have some 3ft+, 5 to 6lb catfish in the Greenhouse tank, that i got from Overtons, that i got at the same time as the tilapia, and they spawned last year, and their are quite a few 1ft catfish in there now...

I bought some more 6" to 8" catfish from Overtons, and they were growing real good in the outside system, until the electricity went out during the night for a few minuets, and then the sump pump did not come back on when the electricity did, so the next morning all the catfish were dead. If i had air stones going in the tank at that time, i think they would have made it. The 3rd batch of 6" to 8" catfish from Overtons, i put in the outside system, all died over night for no good reason that i could tell, as the pump was running.... they just may have been too stressed out because the water PH may have been to different from the water they had been in, or something like that. I was real bummed about that. And will have to get a new batch some time soon.......

Thanks, so the catfish are spawning in your tank?

Yes, Last year about this time, they Spawned, and there were a bunch of little 2" to 3" in the tank about June when we noticed them

Year before last, We had made a 55g blue barrel spawning cave for them, with about a gal of hydroton in the bottom. And 2" PVC pipes filled with play sand, zip tied to each side of the barrel to hold it on the tank bottom.....

I am not sure what happend. This thread was closed, and managed to open it. Still not sure how I did it, or why it was closed.

My wife made the drive to Tyler today and found me a master test kit. 4 hour round trip drive.

Okay my wife got back with the test kit and here are my readings. Could not find a absorbed oxygen meter, but will buy one soon.

Nitrite 0

PH 8.1

Nitrate 5.0

Ammonia 0.5

I know the PH is high and I am trying to lower that very very slowly, but how does everything else look?

Cool thanks. I am getting it lower, but I am doing it very slowly. I have at least 2 catfish alive, but the water is not clear enough to see very deep. So far the tilapia are doing great, haven't found any dead ones yet.

i think that at Ammonia = 0.5 and PH = 8.1 is bordering on toxic for the catfish and tilapia. Stop feeding until your ammonia goes back to 0, and see if you can lower the ph some before you start feeding again....., there is a chart for this Ammonia vs PH toxic some where.... your bacteria need to catch up to your fish load

i think that at Ammonia = 0.5 and PH = 8.1 is bordering on toxic for the catfish and tilapia. Stop feeding until your ammonia goes back to 0, and see if you can lower the ph some before you start feeding again....., there is a chart for this Ammonia vs PH toxic some where.... your bacteria need to catch up to your fish load

Okay will do thanks. Will do a test in the morning to see if my PH is any lower. I need more grow beds, but can't make any more for a little while.

I buried a lot of fish when I first started my AP last summer. What I discovered was my IBC fish tank had trapped really toxic water at the bottom. After nearly all my fish had died, I realized my tank was getting NOT getting good circulation at the bottom. When I would take my water sample from the top 12" my ammonia numbers were 0. One day I took a 36" long piece of 1/2" PVC and burped a water sample from the bottom of the tank and yikes.....my ammonia could was over 5 ppm.

My wife has a saying for stupid oversights...."snatching complexity from the jaws of simplicy"

My tank is a brand new tank from tractor supply, and 6 feet deep. But I could get a sample from the water coming from the pump. It pumps from the very bottom.

Thanks

Had 3 dead tilapia this morning and one dead catfish. My water results seem good. We have not feed them much in a week could they be starving?

Ph 7.4-7.6 it falls between the high and low test.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite. Close to zero

Nitrate 20

Temp is 68F

Hi

I have read right through this thread and there seems to be quite a bit going on and the fish are still dieing.

You mentioned your source water is coming from a well. Is this water Aerated in a tank before use?

I notice your Ph remains consistantly high and your water temperature is quite low.

Pretty common for well water to come up with high pH and along with that really high alkalinity (you have not tested for).

It might be your alkalinity is too high for catfish and you have a very high level of CO2.

It may be beneficial to aerate the water coming from the well before adding it to the system.

Regards

Paul

Hi

I have read right through this thread and there seems to be quite a bit going on and the fish are still dieing.

You mentioned your source water is coming from a well. Is this water Aerated in a tank before use?

I notice your Ph remains consistantly high and your water temperature is quite low.

Pretty common for well water to come up with high pH and along with that really high alkalinity (you have not tested for).

It might be your alkalinity is too high for catfish and you have a very high level of CO2.

It may be beneficial to aerate the water coming from the well before adding it to the system.

Regards

Paul

Thanks

Yes it is well water, but it has not been added to for about a week. I have two air stones in the tank with good bubbles coming up. I also have the two grow beds dumping into it about every 10 minutes, and each grow bed dumps about a 100 gallons of water. I am going to be adding a water pump just for aeration as I saw on youtube, by introducing air to the pump.

The PH has dropped from 8.1 to 7.4 in a week, so it is coming down. And from all I have gathered Tilapia can handle a ph up to 11.

Alkalinity is zero, last time I checked it, but it has been over a week. I only have about 60 small fish in 1550 gallons of water. With 2 water pumps running plus a air pump. I find it hard to believe that oxygen would be low.

Also when I do add the well water I let it fall about 4 feet before it hits the water in the tank. I am assuming this would aerate it also.

As far as the temp, my tank is completely bured with the bottom of the tank about 9 feet below ground level. The outside temp is going to have to get higher before my water goes above 70F. I am planning on adding a solar heater, but this temp even though not ideal should be okay for them.

Hi

It sounds a little odd that your alkalinity is zero. Is the test on the culture water and or the source water?

Regards

Paul

The water in the tank. The solution does not change the color of the sample water. I am offshore on a oil platform right now, but maybe I can get my wife to run the alkalinity test today.

Hi

It sounds a little odd that your alkalinity is zero. Is the test on the culture water and or the source water?

Regards

Paul

Sorry i was confusing it with the CL test. My wife just ran it and it is 170 ppm. Is that bad?

Sorry i was confusing it with the CL test. My wife just ran it and it is 170 ppm. Is that bad?

Not entirely no Helo. But it is what is keeping that pH up and the catfish are not particularly fond of high calcium waters.

Still, I am not convinced that is the issue.

Not entirely no Helo. But it is what is keeping that pH up and the catfish are not particularly fond of high calcium waters.

Still, I am not convinced that is the issue.

Any other ideas? I sure don't want to keep loosing fish. I am adding more temporary grow beds when I get home on Wednesday. Got some big tomato, and eggplants to put in them. Do you know how to lower the alkalinity safely?

Adding acid will lower it, but I don't believe alkalinity is the problem, I generally run 100 to 240 depending on how much I have to top up as I have 300 alkilinity from the tap. Your alkalinity will lower on its own as the nitrification process consumes it, it's a matter of getting it to the point that it consumes it faster than it is raised during top ups.

At this point, given your numbers, I would be looking at some form of contamination, the ammonia , ph, nitrite, nitrate and alkalinity levels are all at operable levels.

The water temps might be suspect if you have way low drops in the morning, but unless your dropping below 50f, I doubt that's it.

Are the fish moving about now? You might start lightly feeding and see if they attack the food.

It's kind of a long shot, but if your withholding feed and your water quality is good tilapia can get very aggressive and attack each other as well as other fish. It may just be the tilapia are causing the fish kills now.

Also when I do add the well water I let it fall about 4 feet before it hits the water in the tank. I am assuming this would aerate it also.

unless its forming a thin sheet around an 1/8th inch then that one drop will not areate much at all. The setup you have described sounds like it should have no problem with air, so as long as you are not doing a major water change, I would not worry about it too much. A 50 % or higher water change might give issues.

BTW, Are there any metallic components in your water? High copper and zinc levels can kill fish and many people had used galvanized tanks only to loose fish like crazy to poisoning.

Any other ideas? I sure don't want to keep loosing fish. I am adding more temporary grow beds when I get home on Wednesday. Got some big tomato, and eggplants to put in them. Do you know how to lower the alkalinity safely?

The only other thing that comes to mind is Iron from the well but you have grown fish in this set up before yes?

could be well water has lots of co2 in it? De gas water first? (run airstones through it?) also possible is fertilizers in well water if near agricultural land?

or other nasties like earthangroup said iron etc...

Maybe you want to add some activated carbon to filtration system, see if it helps..