Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Murray

Underground pipe work to stabalise temp

29 posts in this topic

IanK,

That's a noble cause in which you engage. My 15 year old niece is a survivor of Leukemia and has been in remission for over ten years. Her hand prints made with finger paint have donned the Children's Leukemia Foundation fund raising Christmas cards for the same length of time. Now she's becoming an accomplished pianist and using her hands to entertain others.

My favorite old gardener, Mr. Baroso, was an Italian immigrant with most the abundant organic garden in the neighborhood when I was young and he had a beard similar to mine. I consider it to be part of my retirement/full-time gardener uniform, blue jeans, T-shirts and athletic shoes make up the remainder. I may expand it to include bib overalls and a straw hat.

PS. There's adequate information in the google book link I provided in my last post to help answer most of these questions. A hard copy of the book is expensive to purchase but one might be found at a good library.

Here's a little more information dealing with utilizing the thermal mass of the subsoil. It's a document put out by the Canadian government. You'll find that much of what it says jibes with the google book link I posted earlier. The principles applied here work in areas where there is little or no threat of frost also.

Happy reading!

Cracky! Here's another supporting document from 1994, Upper Marlboro, Maryland, USA.

From the US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development this time and all the supporting mathematical data needed. 54 pages.

This time I'll drop a tiny hint; insulate the lower ground from the air above and the inherent warmth of the earth_____________.

(choose an answer from below)

A. encourages termites to migrate northward.

B. causes disturbances in the space time continuum.

C. will give you a new lease on life.

D. rises closer to the surface.

E. None of the above.

Please at least peruse the document's foreword. And I'll reiterate, this doesn't involve pumping tank water through the ground. The subsoil acts as thermal mass assisted by the earth's subterranean heat. I conclude my final exercise in futility. Thank you.

Dean

During the 1970's The Mother Earth News Eco Village built "My Mother's House". It Had approximately 190 metre of pipe buried through which air was drawn before it entered the house. In winter it was a little warmer than outside air in summer a little cooler. They did have problems with water pooling in the pipe and rodents but overall it was an improvement.

I had wondered about using something like this in my long term "dream" system, but with water instead of air in a separate node to cool the water in order to raise rainbow trout. Water temps in a standing above ground swimming pool here can reach 27 degrees C with no heater in summer.