Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dufflight

Dufflights larger system

172 posts in this topic

That would be a good idea but for the fact that UV lights remove certain nutrients and trace elements from the water.

That would be a good idea but for the fact that UV lights remove certain nutrients and trace elements from the water.

So once removed there may be no safe way of returning it to the system without making it not worth the effort. Might have to look at processing it in-system and then removing any solids that can't be processed fast enough. I think increasing the worms activity using a gravel or clay filter and then you can still filter out fine solids after the GB before water is returned to the fish tank.

Hi Dufflight,

I think that anything that optimises water quality is worth a go. Keep us posted.

Gary

I've had the swirl filter running for 15min per hr and a small drain to the ABF. It half empties the swirl filter through the ABF before the next cycle starts. So it acts like a header tank. When I hook up the sequence valve I may use one of the outlets to fill a header tank as a backup and have it drain through the ABF back into the tank.

DSC02058.jpg

Added a little acid today(half a litre) to see how much it would bring down the PH. I've allways had a high PH(7.6 to 7.8). I get good plant growth but have always wondered what it would be like if I moved the ph into the area that does not lock out a lot of the nutrients. From the tests half a litre moved the ph by .1ish. Will give it a day before I try any more.:D

PS don't add the same amounts as me. My water volume is large. Most of the time its a cap full at a time in a standard size system.

Hi Duffflight,

You'll notice the biggest difference if you drop to between pH 6.0 and 6.5. While nitrifying bacteria prefer it a bit higher, plants definitely prefer this range......and the bacteria still cope well at this level, too.

Gary

Another ltr. Its funny how the plants have responded so quickly. Maybe should of done this a year ago. Will leave the PH for a while so as not to stress the fish too much.

Hi Dan,

Are you logged in properly? Is it only with Dufflight's photos or is it all images on the forum?

I have a similar problem with the photos in some other forums.

Let me know if you continue to experience the problem and I'll investigate from my end.

Gary

Keen to see your setup DL but none of your pics are showing up... at all. Anyone know why?

i think its your computer settings everyone else i talk to can see them

ya, logged in and I can see everyone else's pics. Still not working. there isn't even one of those boxes or urls? like you seee when you're not logged in.

White fly. :mad: You leave plants growing without checking on them for a month or so and the little buggers move in. My continous flow GB is getting to be a solids filter and not in the good way. So I put the bell back in. I don't have a problem if I use a raised section under the inlet. But without it the clay blocks and the worms don't seem to become active in the one area. And dam, the 1000ltr swirl filter collects a lot of stuff. :shock: Moved some duckweed and could see the solids on the bottom. I still don't know if collecting solids is such a good idea. If I didn't use the swirl filter then the gb's would of got this lot and the worms would of mineralized it. I do have 500+ fish and it does make a nice duckweed tank. But on a smaller system I think it would be just creating another task. Why play with **** if you don't have to. The fish are going well and will eat anything I throw at them. Silvers are really big. And the catfish are everywhere. Going to introduce some smaller tanks so I can harvest fish. I could probably get the larger silvers but I don't think stressing the other fish are worth it.

Hi Duff,

I still don't know if collecting solids is such a good idea.

If you were a fish you'd be in no doubt.

Effective solids removal certainly requires some design consideration. It's one thing to trap them but something entirely different to get them out of the system easily......which is why clarifiers and swirl filters have conical bottoms and dump valves.

Gary

Filled one of the gb's today. 2 buckets and 1.5hrs. Hope to get the second one filled in the morning. Think I will go with the slow drain. I have a spare 10000lpr pump I can put on a timer to fill them once per hr. Will run them 24/7 for a few days to season the gravel a bit.

2 new gb's are going well. The arrowroot likes its new home and all of the garlic is coming up. The second year tomatoes are producing a lot. They didn't do much the first year and I was too lazy to help the flowers set. Been slowly dropping the water level. Hope to get a few of the larger fish out. New system will be online in a week or so.

My 200 litre barrel filter works pretty well and keeps the water clear. When it comes to dumping though the flat bottom of the barrel does not facilitate removing all the sludge. So what I am thinking is to mix up some cement, rig up a conical "form" for the bottom of the barrel and pour the cement into the drain hole.

I plugged the ends of a 200mm stormwater pipe with cement to make a 15 foot long growbed and it worked well. I think the cement even has a buffer effect on the water as some of the lime leaches out. there are even nice little stalactites that have formed where drops of water escape at each end of the big pipe.

PS. The mint that was growing so well in the pipe came to an inglorious end as some bugs took over. I pulled most of it out and now the mint is regenerating again. Roots have still not clogged the pipe. I disconnected from the FT while the old roots and mint "rotted down" and flushed plenty of fresh water through to remove any built up bacteria.

Hi Duff,

If you were a fish you'd be in no doubt.

Effective solids removal certainly requires some design consideration. It's one thing to trap them but something entirely different to get them out of the system easily......which is why clarifiers and swirl filters have conical bottoms and dump valves.

Gary

Was thinking of cement to form the cone at the bottom of the drums also. Then apply a FG coating to make it smooth and stop the water from eating the concrete away.