Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dufflight

Dufflights larger system

172 posts in this topic

I've got some of those filter funnels for oil. If they were on the bottom of a drum of water they would work better because of the added pressure.:)

The in water filter has shifted the Am and Ni that I got after slowing down the GB's f&d. Should be interesting to see how it performs when the bacteria covers all of the bio balls(some came from storage).

I like Jims fish!!

I must say that I have not had any problems with needing extra filtration the water, especially once my system passed 6 months of age.

Got some bits for the siphon on the new gb's.

DSC00989.jpgDSC00990.jpg

Think the pipe is an extension for a pop up sprinkler. It is threaded both ends and comes in a few different sizes. 25mm inside and you can cut it in half and end up with 2.

Yeah the fitting make it very easy and quick. Think they cost me $7 and there is a **** load of fittings that you can play with. I even set up the new gb so it drains into an existing GB thats on the floor. Used the same pipe to run it over to the gb. One fill of the top gb siphons to the bottom that fills & drains twice inside of 15 min.DSC00992.jpg

And then there was 2. Still haven't planted any thing in them yet. Was thinking of dwarf beans and radish. The cucmbers in the SFG are doing great. With the light rain we have been having I don't even water the guys. The soil was a little too rich for the tomatoes or the heat gave them hell. Might try cherry next, they grow like weeds.

Picked up a Sweet potato today and will see if it shoots. Until then I filled one GB with bean and radish seeds. Planting radish in clay is easy, you just throw them over the top and they disapear.:D The second gb I just planted with radish and will add a few more plants to the out side.

Now to start thinking about gb 3 & 4.muwahaha.gif

Hydroton requires 0 washing :D

I buy an inferior kind of clay pellet but much cheaper than the Hydroton product I saw when I was in Aust. last. It's made in China (isn't everything) and costs about $ 1 a kilogram.

Believe me it does need washing because there is a lot of red dust in each bag.

The better quality product is available in the supermarket here for about $ 15 a kilogram. I'm sure it has very little dust in the bag.

PS. I have used BBQ charcoal ( cheap and not the briquette type but the burned wood type ) now for nearly two years in a 250 litre growbed - half charcoal and half clay balls. With excellent results.

Charcoal here is about $ 4 for a 10 kilogram bag.

Dave

Number 3 is online and siphoning into a 380ltr that was close by. I emptied one 380ltr of gravel into the 4 new gb's to help seed them. And the empty 380ltr is next to the last gb and will have yabbies and duckweed. Interested in how the flow will affect the growth.

So far 2 of the new ones are under shadecloth and one is under tin and the other is in full sun.

Bugger. I'm sold on clay. Everything seems to come up.:eek: Might regret planting 3 packets of radishs at the same time. And I finished planting out the remaining gbs. Will now look at toping a few of the older gb's with the spare clay. The yabbies seem to like there new home and have started to eat the duckweed.