Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fat_Dogue

Aussie in Manila going to give it a go

13 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Well i currently call Manila in the Phillipines home. So climate is warm and my family all eat Tilapa. Started by getting some Autopot equipment(brought up from Melbourne by a mate) before finding about all this.

So going to have a go at building a system to include all. Will be going down the line of filtering so I can stock a good number of fish.

Also thinking that I will try Yabbies as I can get some here, will probably have them on a off shoot that feed the autopot vege's(open system), so if they do their normal thing and chomp each other. The water going out to the Autopots will make the water level change and keep new water coming in(hopefully going to catch the rain water in a tank for this, Manila water will have a high Ph level) should keep levels ok when death and destruction happens and ammonia levels would normally raise.

It is now time to take it all out of my head and put it into practise. Fun bit will be seeing what is available for building supplies and what I can come up with.

Stay tuned, it won't happen overnight but it will happen...

Matt

welcome! man with a plan! i think their are a few members of this forum in the phillipines. looking forward to hearing what you come up with, and helping out if i can.. yabbies (redclaw) are fun, difficult, as they like to munch each other, but very fertile, and produce lots of young, so i think worthwhile if you breed them! have fun round here! regards

'Day Dogue,

Welcome to APHQ.

How does a nice Australian boy come to be living in the Phillipines?

Gary

Dogue

Welcom to APHQ.... I envy you, you their all ready.

J

HI FD

Adding an autopot to your aquaponics system is a good idea because it will increase the water turn over of your system. However there is a lot of information on this site about wicking beds and like an auto pot these can be watered by your fish water. The benefit is wicking beds can be filled with good compost and fertiliser. They are also cheaper to build than an autopot system. Have a look at these.

Cheers

Joey

Thanks for the welcome from you all,

Gary- My beautiful wife is from Manila, we had enough of Singapore before this so it was time to try somewhere else.

Joey- thanks for the info will see how i go when it put things together and it will be about how much room i have for the system.

Welcome to the forum, mate.. where in manila are you ? .. im located in makati, madodel and erwin in pasig i think... theres one in ortigas and one in manila city as well ...

If youre in makati, theres a few feedstores near Jupiter street where you can buy poultry feed for your tilapia... it works like a charm .. or if youre in manila, theres always CARTIMAR ... the big fish/pet market ... they have anything and everything you can think of :D

if youre near manila, let me know, and we can meet up... you can do a show and tell, and i can drool over your system :D

-vidar-

Hi all,

Well have set up the autopot system today in the front area. It is a cross between Aussie product and Philippines nutrients mix. So will see how it goes. Won't need the nutrients of course once I get the aquaponics setup going.

Although it is the suppose to be the dry season(ok maybe some what dry in the tropics) here, once I was finished it decided to rain.

So will be thinking more about a rain cover for things to add to the system as I go along.

Hopefully going to use a fellow forum member product as well for my tank and grow beds... Madodel

Take it easy all

It won't happen overnight but it will happen

The forecast for this year is a wet summer so expect showers during the afternoon. Some plastic roofing or fine mesh netting to cover your plants should do it.