Sign in to follow this  
Greebe

Fish for shorter seasons? (cooler climates)

Ravnis--

Cool thanks for the info. It sounds like I would need to be down a ways, but seems like a neat idea. I had looked at doing a home installation of a geothermal heat set up for my shop but realized it would be more work than I would like to do. If you are interested here is a very long post (116 pages) about making a system like this. This guy even made his own heat pump. Pretty cool stuff.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothermal/484-homemade-heat-pump-manifesto.html

Greebe

Thanks for that link. I had been looking at geoheatpumps which is how I came across the maps originally.

Just a thought, have you considered growing Freshwater shrimp? You could buy the juveniles and grow them to eating size in 2-4 months, Just run your system during the summer and not worry about the winter. An aquarium indoors to have bacteria going to seed the system when you put it together and you would be set.

Thanks for that link. I had been looking at geoheatpumps which is how I came across the maps originally.

Just a thought, have you considered growing Freshwater shrimp? You could buy the juveniles and grow them to eating size in 2-4 months, Just run your system during the summer and not worry about the winter. An aquarium indoors to have bacteria going to seed the system when you put it together and you would be set.

I did not consider shrimp. In fact I did not realize there was a freshwater shrimp. Man I really like shrimp, but can't eat them right now. I bet I could sell them though. Where would you find freshwater shrimp and where could I find more info about using them in a aquaponics system? I wonder if you could raise them in con junction with fish?

Thanks

Greebe

Here is a place to start, but I believe there are closer hatcheries to your area.

Aquaculture of Texas here

They are marine prawns that can be converted to freshwater. They require saltwater for hatching, so breeding them is not really for a beginner. If you had two tanks connected , fish could be put in one and the shrimp in another, provided they had compatible temperature range. You would not want to combine shrimp and trout for instance.

I think I will stick with fish the first time around. I was wondering if I could do a mix of the Israeli Carp and Channel Catfish. Apparently both are good for the colder climates and I really do not know which I would like the taste of better until I were to try them out.

Any thoughts about raising these two fish together?

Thanks,

Greebe

Hi,

No experience on Israeli Carp. But people raise koi and catfish together all the time. They are usually well fed though. I did see a guys pond that was raising a bunch of channel cats with some large koi, and it had seemed like the cats got hungry and pulled some pectoral fins off some of the koi. As long as your carp are larger than your catfish, i would guess you would be ok.

Greenfish

I have Carp AP system.

And ,like you, cold winter ( this winter temp go to - 27 C). It's indoor system, well, it's a brick garage with windows and Lexan roof. No heating at all.

I'm new in AP , I started my system in September last year. Tank is 3000 L and lowest temp of water in this winter was 0 C.

About fish ( carp)

My thinking is that Carp hibernate (not active, no feeding) below 12-15 C, and also my plants, and also N bacteria. All AP system is hibernating.

I plant at autumn some cabbage,chives,winter lettuce,spinach,parsley.They are ok (slow grow, but grow) during a winter, and now in March they go full throttle.

6 months without feeding fish my nitrates goes from 80 (October) to 40 (April). Low producing ammonia from fish gills, low amount of N bacteria (air temp indoor -5 to 5 C), low nitrate consuming of plants. Water is running to GB only once 1 F&D in 2 hours , at night water pump is turn off.

I hope that I help you with this information. There is more but....

Good luck.

Lots of people grow tilapia out to harvest size in USDA zone 5. They treat them as an "annual crop" basically. You stock when water temps are safe in the Spring and harvest in the Fall when temps start to decline to the point of risking a kill. Many people take it a step further by holding back some of the fish to use as breeders over the Winter months inside, providing the stock for next year's growing season. You'll be hard pressed to find a fish that you can grow from "egg to plate" inside of 6 months, but tilapia is one of them.

Lots of people grow tilapia out to harvest size in USDA zone 5. They treat them as an "annual crop" basically. You stock when water temps are safe in the Spring and harvest in the Fall when temps start to decline to the point of risking a kill. Many people take it a step further by holding back some of the fish to use as breeders over the Winter months inside, providing the stock for next year's growing season. You'll be hard pressed to find a fish that you can grow from "egg to plate" inside of 6 months, but tilapia is one of them.

I had considered that, but they guy that ran a commercial tilaipa system around here was unable to get them to stay alive without providing heat at night I guess. He recommend not raising them if I couldn't heat part of the season. I was thinking like you though and thought that I could raise them to size in the spring, summer, and fall. I might have to try to find another person raising fish in this area and see what there take is.

Thanks,

Greebe

I too am keenly interested in your findings for types and flavor of different fish species... same as you , zone 5... though mine ( unstarted as of yet ) would be on a much smaller scale. please keep this thread going with any results you may come up with. thanks.