Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Organic Fish Pellets

Does anyone know of an organic based fish pellet on the market?

We purchase almost everything organic and would like to feed the fish an organic based diet so that we are not consuming fish contaminated with synthetic based nutrients from non-organic fish pellets. Or pellets that are created from non-organically grown ingredients.

Fussy I know, but in the whole scheme of aquaponics I think this is quite an important facet of the project. Even my worm farm receives only organic materials.! :D

Look into spent distiller's grain. The start is pure seed. Once malted what is left over is a high protien feed that tests free of any sort of peticide or anything else. The process of malting involves boiling and rinsing and this ends up being a very good low cost feed of about 30% protien, some carbs, and a little fat. Mixed with soy flour it makes a nice complete feed for tilapia.

I feed my worms this too and they love it.

Hi Nick.

Thanks a stack for the link.

After some searching I found Michael's email address and details as below

"Please email me on michael@appliednutrition.com.au is you are interested or ring me on 07 3206 2568 or 0418 659 423."

From what I read the mix is for Silver Perch so I am not sure if this would be suitable for Trout. I hope so. I have sent him an email so will await to see.

Now all I need to work out is how much I would feed I need.. :confused:

Thanks again.

Cheers

Tony

Hey Jack.

With a number of breweries at my doorstep, spent distillers grain may be an option. I have no idea how I would get hold of some or who to speak with, but it certainly is an idea to keep in mind..!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Gary.

You're absolutely correct with the demand for spelt distillers grain from the piggeries and hen farms.. I made a few enquiries and they were all geared up for bulk supplies only, and are not interested in smaller quantities. I haven't checked any feed stores yet though.

I am told trout do not like it anyway, but it is excellent for tilapia and perch.

I still have not had a reply from Michael yet about his organic pellet stock and will call him shortly.

Cheers

T

I Managed to get hold of the Organic Fish Food guy yesterday. He was in NZ

He will be back here in Brissie sometime today or tomorrow.

He has not responded to any of my emails that I have sent him over the last several months, I suspect the published email address is not correct.

I hit the smaller brewpubs in the city. Not so many farms to compete with. I engage the brewer in conversation and tell them about tilapia. They are more than willing to let me take a 5 gallon bucket ahead of the farmers. Once you find their brewing schedule, it is very easy. They are also interested in buying fillet when I have some. They seem to like the idea of their grain feeding the fish that feed their customers.

My Red Wigglers love the grain too.

If you want to feed the grain directly you need to feed no more than the fish can eat in 15 minutes, and turn off the filtration while they feed, otherwise it gums up the works.

If you can make pellets, mix about 15% by weight soy flour. This will provide complete nutrition for tilapia.

I am looking into converting corn to ethanol for fuel and using the grain left over as feed. Here is how the economics works here in the USA. Buy corn for $5 a bushel (55 pounds). Make 2.5 gallons of ethanol worth $2 a gallon, which pays for the corn. You end up with about 20# of 30% protein feed, and a load of yeast. Tilapia love both. Figure 25 cents a pound for 30# of feed and you end up ahead.

Nice! I like economics like that! And fuel will go way up! Cost of fuel has flatlined at the moment - but that will change as peak oil hits. As long as corn does not skyrocket too you will be well ahead.

I have been looking into the Microfueler http://www.efuel100.com/

I realise it is just a repackaged and automated still - but I like the turn key aproach.

We have plenty of sugar growing in Australia so feed stock should not be an issue. Just have to smart about how the cooling water is used.

They run it to waste - I suggest it may be better to recirculate through a large water tank so water is not wasted - atleast for those of us in drought areas.

It's most likely a reverse osmosis system so cooling water is not an issue. It only uses sugar for the "mash" so there's no fish feed by-product. As such, the cost of the fuel is at the mercy of world sugar prices. Even though it's not a conventional still, it still falls under the "Australian Distillation Act. 1901." and would require licensing, registration and an import permit. I'd also wonder about the lifespan of the separation membranes and replacement costs. Interesting idea, but.......

Yes, it does use reverse osmosis. Turnkey is nice, but the cost isn't. Not affordable and you'll never pay it off. I'm looking into fairly conventional distilation using wood heat from a modified rocket stove. The waste heat would be used to heat the tilapia tanks and greenhouse. Wood is free for the cutting around here.

Yes, I spoke to him today

I will have it organised in a few days.

Only two sizes crumble and 4mm pellets

Attached is a PDF file that is interesting reading. Spec sheet and feeding schedule.

Minimum buy is 40 bags so I have a bit of work to do.

If it helps Murray, I have about 10 bags of the pellets here in Geelong. I have fed my silvers on it exclusively since last summer. They love it. It is a sinking pellet, which they prefer. I overwintered late season fingerlings on the crumble. My water temps got down to 8-9C but I never lost a single silver perch. They are now on the 4mm pellet and eating their heads off.

If I can help make the connection b/n Brisbane and Tassie easier just gimme a hoy.

That's excellent Murray..

Just the thing I was after. I have no doubt there will be plenty of people on this forum that would be keen to order. I know Hamish was.

I am still waiting on my approval from IFS here, so I still don't know if I can go ahead with the entire project yet. Fingers crossed though.

T