Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Erik C

Hello from deep in the Heart of Texas

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm Erik from San Angelo, TX. I can't wait to soak up as much knowledge as I can. And hopefully I'll start building my system within the month.

So here's where I'm at in the design stage. I've got a 50 gallon tub to build my system around. I live in an apartment with a pretty big balcony space (7x8 ft.). I haven't really found any good plastic bins for my grow bed. The best I've found would be a 36"x24"x8" bin used for mixing concrete. My concerns are 8" might not be deep enough, and also I couldn't find any label on the bin to say what kind of plastic it is (I've heard not all plastics are safe for aquaponics). So I might be building by grow bed out of lumber and use pond liner or something in it. I was wondering what kind of dimensions I should go with on my grow bed if I was to build my own. I've heard I want at least a 1:1 ratio grow bed to fish tank ratio. Is there any advantages/disadvantages of 2:1 grow bed to fish tank ratio?

Welcome to Aquaponics HQ..

Depending on the system design you come up with your eight inch grow-bed could be deep enough. As a fact I only have a six inch deep grow-beds. Even ratios are called in to question when you add mechanical filtration to the system. If you are going the very limited route of using you grow-bed as your bio filter then the ratio really has to start at 2:1 or higher. But cleaning growbeds every 3 to 6 months is not my idea of a fun time.

Hi Erik,

I suggest that you take a look at Pugo's system thread and scale it down to suit your situation.

If you include solids removal and supplementary bio-filtration (and you should), then the matter of grow bed depth and component ratios becomes irrelevant.......and your fish will thank you for it.

Gary

Welcome to the forum!

Those mixing tubs are polyethelyne and uv stabilized. I have been using them for over a year now. They will work. I use red lava rock for media, but expanded shale is a lightweight option too. Good luck with your system.

Hi Erik,

I second Keith's warning about the weight on your balcony. If you set your little system up with some modest filtration you can use nutrient film technique (NFT) as your growing system. That's nice and light.

Gary