Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Josh

What is this medium?

8 posts in this topic

I've seen a few videos that had a similar medium. Could some one fill me in on what they think they're using in this

? Thanks!

Josh

Those appear to be Rockwool they have long been among the most popular growing medium on earth. Originally used as insulation it was called "Mineral Insulation" and was later developed for gardening in Denmark. It is used primarily for drip hydroponic systems. But this is for hydroponics and not Aquapoincs. It is not as easy as it looks to mix these to styles.

I could see how it may not be ideal for aquaponics due to the fine texture. I'm trying to think through what I have available for free/cheap. This looked like something that we may have laying around.

How about no media go for a floating raft setup.. I will be doing that in the spring. Although you will need to build filtration but that is easy to do. hope this helped.

I was planning on a swirl and brush filter so that shouldn't be an issue. My thought was that the seedling would need something to support it though.

I didn't build a swirl filter, I only have a brush filter, seems to do the trick for me, but a swirl filter can't hurt. seedling don't require a lot of support but once they get bigger they will need it.. that was my thinking in the beginning too. But I am moving away from it, As I need to build a mini green house over my grow beds to keep the bugs out. They are my biggest problem. My system seems to be bullet proof just have to fight the insects and they seem to be winning :(

Josh

Those appear to be Rockwool they have long been among the most popular growing medium on earth. Originally used as insulation it was called "Mineral Insulation".

Yep, my homes entire roof is chock a block full of rockwool for insulation.

Edited by Shane
spelling !! (see edit history)