Edit History

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Hi Benson and welcome to APN,

Tell us more about how you are thinking about applying this to your situation. Some questions off the top of my head

• Are you thinking about  just investing in a small home scale turbine and only applying it to your aquaponics or applying it to your home as well?
  • How will you get the water flow needed to run the turbine? Do you have a river or are you thinking about some sump arrangement with a pump to create a head and flow?
  • Do you have a suburban house or property in the country?

On a whole of house scale, I don't have a country property with flowing water running through it. About 9 or 10 years ago I did think about a property with the view of adding hydro so I could stay off grid. The conclusion I came up with regarding hydro is you really need to be an electrician to be able to maintain the electrical side of a hydro plant, plus by the time you invested in hydro and the extra effort you needed at the time to run it it was easier to run on grid, so I did not continue my research into the hydro side of it. Like solar and solar energy storage things may of changed now. Co incidentally, if you are interested in looking at another alternative energy you may like to look at my thread called bigdaddy's alternative energy. I have recently posted what I have been doing in that regard.

I'd be interested in what you do so please keep us posted.

Cheers.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Hi Benson and welcome to APN,

Tell us more about how you are thinking about applying this to your situation. Some questions off the top of my head

• Are you thinking about  just investing in a small home scale turbine and only applying it to your aquaponics?
  • Are you thinking about applying it to your home as well, or just for your aquaponics system?
  • How will you get the water flow needed to run the turbine? Do you have a river or are you thinking about some sump arrangement with a pump to create a head and flow?
  • Do you have a suburban house or property in the country?

On a whole of house scale, I don't have a country property with flowing water running through it. About 9 or 10 years ago I did think about a property with the view of adding hydro so I could stay off grid. The conclusion I came up with regarding hydro is you really need to be an electrician to be able to maintain the electrical side of a hydro plant, plus by the time you invested in hydro and the extra effort you needed at the time to run it it was easier to run on grid, so I did not continue my research into the hydro side of it. Like solar and solar energy storage things may of changed now. Co incidentally, if you are interested in looking at another alternative energy you may like to look at my thread called bigdaddy's alternative energy. I have recently posted what I have been doing in that regard.

I'd be interested in what you do so please keep us posted.

Cheers.