Sign in to follow this  
cerignola

My 20gal indoor system

I've had this for a few months now and I really jumped in way too deep at first so there's been a lot of back tracking. I was just so excited to start. I think I'm finally starting to see a healthier system. I just tested the water and I got:

pH-6.0

Ammonia 1.0ppm

Nitrite 5.0

Nitrate 100ppm is that too high?

I'm not sure where these levels are supposed to be. I know I want the pH higher, like 6.8-7.2 but the others I'm not so sure about.

It's a 20 gallon fish tank that I have underneath the grow bed which is a 63 liter plastic tote that was not a good choice. I don't think it's deep enough and it's getting all bulgy on the bottom. So there's a 396 gal/hour pump which is way over-kill and I couldn't get my siphon to kick off so I lowered the flow rate by piping the water into a 5 gallon tote with net pots in it. the water fills up the tote like a flood and drain and slows the filling of the main grow bed enough so that the siphon stops properly and I have more plant spaces.

409244_10150536028551411_651076410_11345142_151911175_n.jpg

407200_10150536028941411_651076410_11345144_2080784450_n.jpg

397930_10150536029051411_651076410_11345145_1426016871_n.jpg

406475_10150536028711411_651076410_11345143_1381626771_n.jpg

the nitrates are not a bad thing but your ammonia and nitrite are high,, don't feed until these drop.. fish can last for weeks with no food

a partial water change should bring levels down but could interfere with cycling..

salt to 3ppt to help the fish deal with the stress

OK. No food. Last time I fed I noticed they eat as much as they can and then if I sit and watch them they'll burp out 5-8 pellets of food and then they all start trying to eat them again. I only feed lightly, once a day.

I've been adding reverse osmosis water from whole foods because of current inconveniences. I've seen some articles that I think are discussing RO water being acidic. My pH is 6.0 and I got a D in chemistry. Thoughts on water? Distilled, Deionized, RO, bubbled tap water, rain water? I've been having to top off 3 gallons a week.

I'm not familiar with salting. It's an aquarium product? thanks

I don't have a way of testing water hardness right now or a way to tell I've got 3ppm of salt in there. I did test the water hardness a while ago but that was when I was using tap water with some of the dechlorinator from the pet store. I've just been using RO water from Whole foods.

I bought some 5 in 1 test strips from API and my water is very hard. 180ppm. I realized I have something called Hi-Cal Ag Lime that I bought for my soil last season. Is this the right thing to add? I also bought some aquarium salt but I'm worried about salt build-up hurting the plants. I looked at a product called Proper pH 7.0. It's sodium thiosulfate. I decided not to risk that. I appreciate the help and I'm having a really hard time with the search. I either come up with nothing or results that seem to have little to no relevance.

Proper ph says on the back for us of ornamental fish....so human consumption is not a good idea. You can drop the ph by adding lemon juice to the water. Try to think all natural. And i'd be careful on the lime, look on the internet to see if it's safe for fish...or call the manufacturer they will be able to tell you. I know it's a lot of work, but it'll safe you in the long run.

I got my levels to a much better place. I added about 6 gallons of water (3 from the hose and 3 deionized). 6 teaspoons of aquarium salt and a maybe an 1/8 teaspoon of hi cal lime. I added about 3 mL of aqueon water conditioner. It says not for human consumption on it. I have goldfish so I'm not eating them and hopefully it won't hurt the plants. I've been using it since I got the tank. It's got that sodium thiosulfate I mentioned earlier. So... My levels are now:

pH-6.4

ammonia-.25ppm

nitrite-0

nitrate-60ppm

The fish look happy, I guess. I think they're swimming around a bit more.

I'm not sure how much of this change is due to the water conditioner and how much is due to adding 6 gallons of water

I left town for a week and I think the system really kicked in. My plants got huge. One of my goldfish disappeared, I think he must have died and the other 2 ate him. Right? I combed the tank looking for ol' #3 but to no avail. I found another dead fish this morning. My water is testing clean though, pH-7, ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, Nitrates are about 60ppm. I've got tons of oxygen, the water temp stays around 70. I did use feeder fish from Petsmart, at ¢0.26 a fish, so maybe they're just sickly. anyway I was excited to see all the growth and have some opinions about dead fish.IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

that radish was delicious. i've got some that are growing all funny because of the hydroton.

i've got some that are growing all funny because of the hydroton.

Common problem with root vegies in AP....some things just grow better in dirt.

Nice growth in your system BTW:)