keith_r

my basement setup

we've already had our first snow...ugh.. so my system has been running since april/may 2010, when i started it outdoors.. that fall i brought it indoors and reconfigured, but it was too small.. so i found an 8' kiddie pool and filled it with water (next to the current ap system) and couldn't stand looking at all that water not being used.. i put in 50 rosy red minnows and 3 dozen crayfish, and hooked up a barrel filter... finally found some ibc's and got to work cutting them up last week (still recovering from shoulder surgery)

i saw a pair of crayfish mating so left them be for a couple hours.. finally pulled them out and put them in a 55 gallon tank.. after the female started tucking her tail, i put the male back in the pool and found another female in berry.. so here are some pic's;

post-3725-13795789009181_thumb.jpg

post-3725-1379578900799_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789008596_thumb.jpg

Hi Keith,

What are your outside temperature relative to your basement air temperature?

The duckweed is impressive.....one of the reasons I'm keen to know what temperature it's growing at.

A species of duckweed that grows quickly in a temperate climate would be a valuable means of cleaning the water for an adjacent aquaponics system. It's a very easy way of practising aquaponics (and getting the benefits) without the need to grow vegetables.

Gary

winter is closing in,, temps in the 40's, outside but we've already had our first snow (it didn't stick).. temp in the basement is 66- 68f

in the winter the basement is usually in the mid to low 60's.. i didn't do the duckweed last winter, so i'm interested to see how it does when it gets cooler, i just put some daphnia in the55 gal tank, and will be putting some in the duckweed tank as well..they are supposed to do well in colder water, i have a heater in the tank to keep it at 68-70f or so, but no heat in the duckweed pond thing

water lettuce and duckweed are doing well in the glass tank

been an interesting week.. one of the berried cray's died, when i pulled it out of the tank, the eggs were gone, and the other female released her berries.. i've seen a couple very small crayfish, but i haven't seen daphnia in a couple days now,after i had what appeared to be a poplution increase..i think the water needs to be more turbid for the daphnia..

from what i've read, it's fairly easy to culture daphnia in 5 gallon buckets, you can feed them activated dry yeast or green water (algae).. i should be able to raise enough to feed a minnow culture that will be used to supplement the grow out fish's diet - right now that's yellow perch and bluegill, but i'll be trying trout at some point.

i'm off work for a few days, so i'm setting up my growbed drains and supply lines, once i get the big system going, i'll have a total of 5 55gal glass fish tanks for my culture setups, daphnia, minnows, crays, and green water

slow progress, right now i've got a bunch of pvc cut, drains partially set up, supply laid out.. had lots of rain that's supposed to be turning to snow tonight or tomorrow, and had some minor flooding..no problems though, just wet in the "low spots"..

so i was puttering around this morning.. and i saw some rosy reds in the pool using one of the clay pots i put in.. exhibiting spawning behaviour.. i've seen this several times, but when checking the pots, there hasn't been anything there.. anyways, today there was! i put the pot back in the same spot, and the pair went back at it.. from what i read, the female won't lay all her eggs at once, and after she does, the male may try to get another female to lay more eggs (the male is a beauty, almost black and orange vertical bars)..

so tonight i'll move the pot to the breeding tank that already has a few baby crayfish in it,, and no sign of daphnia since the last "plant".. couple of grass shrimp in the tank that may take out a few fry, but right now i just don't have the resources to get everything the way i want it, so my tests are a little crowded..

i'll try to take some pics when i move the pot

I need some ideas

i just scored 4 doors.. .these are interior office doors, 8'4" x 3'x 1-3/4" (2.54m x .9m x 4.5cm) solid wood.. they were $5 each, and as soon as i looked at them i thought ft...(got a nice sturdy table for 5 bucks too)

i've got the 8' (2.4m) dia pool that a diy tank would replace, and be a better use of space..

i set up 3 ibc tote halves for growbeds for the pool, was just going to use a third half tote as a sump off the pool.. at the fill line the pool hold around 700 gallons (2650 liters)

i scored the doors today, so i'm just starting to think about how i'll use them to build a tank.. my vacation starts tomorrow so when i get going, it's going to happen fast, and i'm not sure how it will turn out.. i'm looking for some ideas. the more my brain has to think about the better (at last i think so)

i've got flood levels set on the 3 growbeds- the ibc closest to the doorway was the planned sump with the pool ft.. but if i build a bigger ft, i'll probably turn that into a gb since i already have the fittings.. but then how do i move the water... external pump? i don't like that idea.. there is room behind the door for another half ibc, but i don't know if that would be a big enough sump for 4 half ibc gb's.. or constant flood with no sump, but still.. where to put the pump? build a "box" in the ft?

how about some input? wwyd?

new system/new thread time?

i better get a camera

Edited by keith_r (see edit history)

Hi Keith,

i just scored 4 doors.. .these are interior office doors, 8'4" x 3'x 1-3/4" (2.54m x .9m x 4.5cm) solid wood.. they were $5 each, and as soon as i looked at them i thought ft...(got a nice sturdy table for 5 bucks too)

If you have the space, I'd use the doors in an 8' square configuration. A square tank is better than a rectangular one when it comes to removing solids.

A tank of that size would hold over 5,000 litres (over 1300 US gallons) if filled right up. That puppy is going to weigh in at around 5 tonnes.....so you would want to have it well-supported with some steelwork or heavy duty timber framing.

You could use formply as a base......and use a liner.....or fibreglass it.....or seal it with a suitable epoxy-style paint.

i've got the 8' (2.4m) dia pool that a diy tank would replace, and be a better use of space..

i set up 3 ibc tote halves for growbeds for the pool, was just going to use a third half tote as a sump off the pool.. at the fill line the pool hold around 700 gallons (2650 liters)

Depending on its height, you could use the round tank as a sump tank. If you were to flood and drain your IBC grow beds, you could even have the sump tank double as a tidal grow tank - with pots of water plants (like Kangkong, water chestnuts, duckweed, etc) lined up around the edge. Depending on the depth of the tank you could have them alternate between being flooded and drained as your IBC grow beds flood and drain.

I'd go with the sump idea.....it will give you more options about the placement of your grow beds (assuming that your round tank is lower than the 3' that your square fish tank if going to be.

Another option, subject to how strong you make the fish tank, might be to put your grow beds on top of the fish tank. That way, you could gravity feed directly back into the fish tank.

You might need more grow beds....unless you are only planning to very lightly stock the fish tank.....otherwise you'll have insufficient bio-filtration.

Of course, it wouldn't be me if I didn't suggest that you add some supplementary mechanical and biological filtration (MBBR or trickling bio-filter). That way, you can do with less grow beds while still stocking more fish.

I just realised that your mention of "behind the door" suggests that this system is to be built inside....right?

That might impact the design significantly. Can you confirm.......inside or outside?

Gary

it's an inside build (in my basement)

i got a good size pond liner (either 15' sq, or 18' sq)..

i like the idea of a square tank, and was thinking of cutting it down to 6' square (about 2m)

but for now, i have 3 growbeds filled with gravel, (on vacation this week) and i'm hoping to remove the filter from the pool, so that i can plumb up the growbeds..

i do plan on adding filtration.. i want to stock a little more densely than the plant centric model..

but for now, i want to move my bigger fish into the pool, so it will be lightly stocked with 3 growbeds, each around 200gal (760 liter)

here's about how it's layed out now.. the 3 ibc totes that form the corner are cut down, and placed on milk crates, the tote to the right is cut down and on the floor for the sump;

file.php?id=40124

the glass tank on the left side is now between the columns, where the 3 glass tanks on the floor and half barrel growbeds are, is going to be a single ibc system

oh, and this is an old house, the basement ceiling is 6'2 (about 2m) at it's tallest, in the area where the 3 totes are against the wall.. here's a pic looking at the corner;

file.php?id=40846

the 3 totes got filled with gravel this weekend

here's from the other side;

file.php?id=40847

and here's the sump, and existing filter, the pool is to the right;

file.php?id=40848

when i get to building a filter, i'll probably use 3 blue barrels, the only real spot i have to put them will be in the area on the left where the model shows a 55 gallon tank

i've had a pretty productive last couple weeks.. got the beds filled with gravel, had to rinse well, i bought this as "rinsed river rocks" from a landscaping place.. i think they rinsed it in clay

post-3725-13795789894088_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789892504_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789893322_thumb.jpg

i picked up 120 yellow perch and 10 blue tilapia on friday, it was about a 4 hour trip one way.. the fish farm only sells tilapia by the lb, i bought 3 lbs, and picked out the "smaller" ones..growbed 1:

post-3725-13795789894842_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789895587_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789896284_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789896952_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789897538_thumb.jpg

fish, yellow perch went into the pool, lost a few during transport, and a few don't look to be eating, but they seem to get the idea with bloodworms and ground up pellets

the tilapia have been eating the plants in their tanks

post-3725-13795789948929_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789910462_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789911055_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789913844_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789944677_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789945572_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789946161_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789946746_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789947335_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795789947921_thumb.jpg

well, i learned the hard way that the milk crates won't cut it as growbed stands.. luckily, only one gb started to collapse before i was able to intercede, disaster was averted, and the rest of the crates will be replaced in due course..

i might be happy when i do something right, but i'll be the first to admit i screwed up, in the hopes that it helps someone else from making the same mistake

well done for admitting the mistake, the other approach is to say you will modify the stands to maximize their strength. Seriously though I would think that if you strengthened them by screwing through them into some timber or plywood so that the wood goes from floor to ibc base, then that should stop the crates collapsing in on themselves which i assume is the problem. In affect using timber to stiffen the edges of the crate and using the crates to stablise the timber,sort of a frame.The crates are strong but they need a little help,other wise its the concrete blocks

Scruff

i've been really busy..

i set up a single tote system to breed my blue tilapia, but after i had water flowing, i found 50 nile tilpia locally, and couldn't say no.. so the 1" fingerlings went into the tote..

the blue's have had at least 2 sets of babies.. a few made it to the sump... so i finally made time to get some stuff done

i got my 110 gallon tote, and siphoned water into it from the pool, then used the crowding net to harvest some yp, and catch the blue tilapia.. i caugh 5 blues, and put them in the tote.. one dropped a mouthful of eggs, and ignored them..

then i moved the (now 49 - 1 jumper died) nile tilapia to the pool.. later i moved the blues to the single tote, mom had left the eggs behind..

i caught 11 yellow perch for dinner, 2 or 3 are from 2010, the rest from 2011..

post-3725-13795790376233_thumb.jpg

post-3725-13795790376855_thumb.jpg

couldn't decide what to make for dinner, so we had yellow perch 3 ways..

fried with italian seasoned panko, cornmeal and romano cheese

post-3725-13795790377469_thumb.jpg

baked in a parchement pouch with white wine, butter, fresh dill from the basement, salt and pepper

post-3725-13795790378055_thumb.jpg

quick brine of salt and sugar, then hotsmoked with tea, oak and cherry chips

post-3725-13795790378643_thumb.jpg

found 3 egg sacs when cleaning the fish, i added a little butter to the pan the fish got fried in and sauteed.. they were really good!

post-3725-13795790379229_thumb.jpg

on a local fishing forum i read, someone asked for some "wild game fish", he wasn't having much luck, so i offered to help with, at least with the game fish part.. it turns out he's writing a book, he needed the fish to do some dissections for illustrations...

he wanted to document some parasites as well, unfortunatly for him, there weren't any...(good for me though!)

anyways,,, he sent me a link to the pictures of my fish he killed for science.. thought i'd share (i thought they were pretty good pictures)

Ohio Game Fishing Community - Wespastor's Album: Dissection Album

Hi Keith

Cool

The link dosen't woork I get this message :

Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here

I have to mail admin ................. give mail adress etc..................

How bout asking to repost the pic.s i'd like to see them.

What species ?

Trout ?

cheers

Hey Keith,

How are the bluegill doing in your setup? I am thinking heavily on raising bluegill in my AP setup (Onlly because they taste so delicious, YUM!) Are they hard to breed and grow in an AP environment? And finally, can you tell me your good and bad experiences raising them in your setup? Thanks