Toga

'Jaws' - Toga's Aquaponic System

Joe,

I just read through your thread for the first time and really enjoyed your posts. Lots of pics. Good descriptions of what you are doing and what a bounty you are producing. The pic of the smoked fish is making me want to get my system going. Keep up the great work!

Jens

Thanks Jens,

Life has been so busy these past couple of years, I seem to forget to take pics along the way.

I had a series of small f/d tables that I used for seedling propagation when I first setup the system. This worked very well but was extremely high maintenance. So I made the decision 2 seasons ago to utilize a portion of one of the grow beds... what a great decision that was !

post-1528-0-01319400-1432777764_thumb.jp

I also made a decision this season to increase production by attempting more of a 'line process' for basic greens. The thought being if I keep putting 250 in per week, one might expect to get 200 out per week. I then needed to rearrange the layout of the grow beds for the incoming 100's /week.

post-1528-0-42680500-1432777845_thumb.jppost-1528-0-76999800-1432777937_thumb.jp

By the time the seedlings are throwing roots out the bottom they are ready for transplanting into individual pots...

post-1528-0-28918900-1432778043_thumb.jppost-1528-0-32233900-1432778072_thumb.jppost-1528-0-45484400-1432778104_thumb.jppost-1528-0-88366900-1432778134_thumb.jppost-1528-0-76520700-1432778170_thumb.jp

The basil was transplanted into pots 10-12 days prior to the photo, and has exploded to the extent of now needing to be spaced further apart -

post-1528-0-63054900-1432778191_thumb.jp

The aquaponic "Golden Hawaiian" passion fruit also exploded this season, now almost completely covering the 30 square meter chicken enclosure... 100's of fruit have been shared by many -

post-1528-0-61090400-1432778323_thumb.jppost-1528-0-55819600-1432778295_thumb.jp

On another note of 'lets give it a go' ... my first aquaponic pineapple is coming along nicely -

post-1528-0-23060800-1432778266_thumb.jp

It has been a fun autumn and it is getting cool, it must be time to pull the rocket heater out of summer storage and reinstall it back into the shed :D

Cheers

Joe

Hi Joe,

Love the images…..lots of food there.  

I looked at the passionfruit vine with considerable interest.  I've wanted to trial some vine crops for a long time - and your efforts have inspired me to that end.  The pineapple is an interesting one, too.

Gary

Some great info, and inspiring pics.  With the silver perch smoking did you just gut, de-head and scale them?   I've got a load of silvers to harvest and have been putting it off as I'm not that keen on them cooked normally so was thinking of smoking them.  

I'm thinking of scaling them with the pressure washer - it tends to take a bit more skin off softening the skin as well, which I'm hoping will help the smoke to infuse deeper.

My passion fruit vine has lots of green growth, though very few flowers - its seems to be producing more after sprinkling some potash around it - though now the bloody rats are chewing the flowers!

Hi,

Thanks guys.

No Matt, I did not scale the silvers... just gutted & de-headed them. Several people commented that they enjoyed the smokey crunch of the scales... im not into scales or skin myself.

As I mentioned and Gary also noted, it is easy to over smoke the silvers. Next time will be at a higher temp and shorter time in the smoker.

Scaling with a pressure blaster ? ... sounds intriguing, not to mention messy lols

As for the passion fruit, I must say that I am very happy with my results... I dont go out of my way to add much of anything extra, beyond pH adjuster needs.

Cheers

Joe

Hi,

I thought that I should qualify this comment ;

I dont go out of my way to add much of anything extra, beyond pH adjuster needs.

By rephrasing it to ;

I dont go out of my way to add much more than a little Iron and BSF & Worm Juice, as well as pH adjusters.

Cheers

Joe

Hi Joe,

I really enjoy your updates.  Your system (and garden) illustrate what backyard food production is all about.

I found your seedling bench/grow bed particularly interesting.  Can you provide more information about how you built and operate that?

Gary