Pauly

Pekins!!!

14 posts in this topic

Hi all, much excitement at our house at the moment, especially from the kids - we have just picked up 3 Pekin (not to be confused with 'peking' ;) ) ducklings, our first ducks.

We chose this breed as they are apparently a good all-rounder, for meat and some eggs (though not heaps, we're told). Mainly flightless, and grow to a decent size fairly quickly.

Does anyone know any tips for telling baby drakes from females? Thanks!

Hello Pauly, and congrats on your newest additions! As I haven't raised ducks(yet) I have no firsthand information for you, however I found this information about pekins on wikipedia and copied it for ya verbatim...

Sexing

It can be difficult to determine the sex of the young ducklings due to the lack of external genitalia or other differences. Venting is one common method. This entails gently squeezing the duckling to cause feces to be expelled, which forces the cloaca to open slightly, permitting the sexer to view the sexual organs. However, these are almost undifferentiated in hatchlings.

As a male duck matures it acquires a curled tail feather called a drake feather, and their vocalisations become much weaker. Conversely, the female develops a loud quack. Venting is also easier when the ducks' genitals are fully mature but is not necessary because of the readily apparent external differences between males and females.

A female may be missing feathers on the back of her neck. This is due to the male grabbing and holding the back of the female's neck during mating.

Hi Pauly,

Pekins (which actually becomes Peking duck eventually in most parts of China) are good meat ducks. In the past, they were crossed with the Aylesbury.....a British breed......for a good meat cross.

While I prefer Muscovies as backyard ducks (they make less noise and graze more), Pekins are good, too.

Gary

Yes, I would have been happy with either Pekins or Muscovies, at the end of the day it just came down to what was available at the time!

I'm not worried so much about the noise that they'll make, with no close neighbours and a couple of rowdy roosters here anyways!!! But, we'll see...

I'm interested to see how they interact with our chooks, and how the bossy rooster goes with them too. He's a big sook, all red feathers and bluff (Rhode Island Red).

We do have a dam a bit further down from the house, but I was thinking of yarding them off in about 1/2 an acre, and giving them a bathtub to swim in just to keep them away from the wood ducks which frequent the dam (wasn't sure whether they might 'mix' and I'd end up with wood duck/pekin crosses??!).

Progress has slowed right up on the A/P project, like everyone at the mo I'm very busy at work. They say you either have time or money but I dunno cos I don't have either!!!? Lol:D

Hi Pauly,

Yep.....both of them pull up pretty well on the dinner table.

We do have a dam a bit further down from the house, but I was thinking of yarding them off in about 1/2 an acre, and giving them a bathtub to swim in just to keep them away from the wood ducks which frequent the dam (wasn't sure whether they might 'mix' and I'd end up with wood duck/pekin crosses??!).

Best of luck with keeping the pekins around a bathtub if they get wind that there's a dam around.

Since both wood ducks and pekins are derived of the mallard (if I recall correctly), there's probably no biological reason why they couldn't mate. My guess is that the wood ducks probably wouldn't stick around long enough for the foreplay to commence.

Bill Mollison's Permaculture books contain some good duck housing ideas. I particularly like one that has the duck house right on the edge of the dam.....with the fences on either side of the little shed extending into the water......so that the ducks can swim out of a protected area on land and return to their housing in safety.

Gary

Hi, thanks for that ellistattoo. Gary, that does sound like a great idea!!! The particular dam we are talking about is only about 10m across, so I think it would get dirty and rancid pretty quickly. I'll post some photos' of the new additions shortly if I can work out how to....

Hi

So 3 peking's relocated to my pond to day, 2 years old, 1 drake, got them from a friends wife for free :)post-968-0-61012900-1461798839_thumb.jpgpost-968-0-99371900-1461799027_thumb.jpg

The cat had a go at them, but gave up :D

post-968-0-68174800-1461799315_thumb.jpg post-968-0-73188800-1461799465_thumb.jpg

Then we had a hawk attack, I scared it of but I doubt it has given up, bet it's back tomorrow :growl:

The ducks loved the pond, they have been in a shed all winter so this was their first real bath of the year

cheers

We are interested in purchasing mix flock of pekin moscovery and aylesbury . Hope spelled breeds right. We would like if possible 4 pekins females 2 female and 1 male moscovery and 3 female 2 male aylesbury. We don't care what age but prefer 6 weeks to 8 months old.

Hi AK

I never kept pekins before, I'w had muscovy/rouen/mallard & a few different goose species.

I have a flock of muscovys (7 including a drake) on hand, but haven't decided on those yet.

However checking on the pekins this morning, a bit worried about yesterdays hawk atacks, I found a egg  :rock:

Never ever have any new arrivales prduced a egg within the first 12houers :bow:

So I'm really starting to like these pekins, my problem with muskovy is that they don't warn each other when under attack, because they can't make loud noises, so I have lost a lot to birds of prey fox badgers & dogs.

post-968-0-77233100-1461838137_thumb.jpg

cheers

We had hawk problems but for years never did because hawks or some kinds must be scared of peacocks. After our last peacock died hawks in years time took out over 400 chickens and 3 dozen ducks. Hawks and owls will pluck chicks right in front of you. Hawks will eat only the breast of the larger poultry and both with break into pens and pull bird from them fast. When dealing with group chicken hawks like dealing with pack of raptors. Extremely fast and smart.

Hi

yeah, I'w had my fair share of predators here, hawk being amongst the worst (wild), stray dogs actually "the worst" by fare, and seagulls when it comes to snitcing ducklings.

Anyhow two eggs this morning :rock:  they really went straight in to production modus it seems :)

post-968-0-25656800-1461967861_thumb.jpg

They just lay them out in the open field

post-968-0-04533900-1461968035_thumb.jpg

and in the midle of the road/bridge

post-968-0-60284900-1461968200_thumb.jpg

wery unlike other dukcs/geese I'w kept before, they would allways sort of establish a safe hidden nest, then start the egg laying.

I'w had a wild mallard nesting in the pond, never been able to find the nest, only see her in flight, and when the ducklings are hatched, last year 7 and the year befor 9.

But this evening I saw her from distance, grasing with the pekins, and when I aproaced them she just vanished, cool to get it confirmed that she is at it again this year.

I 'd love to have a peacock, but it would need to big winter housing here.

cheers

Wow lots want to eat your ducks they must be super tasty lol. I noticed flocks raise away from large natural water are preyed upon less. Larger animals like dogs ginea or peacocks could help warn and protect ducks and other flocks herds ect .

We are interested in purchasing mix flock of pekin moscovery and aylesbury . Hope spelled breeds right. We would like if possible 4 pekins females 2 female and 1 male moscovery and 3 female 2 male aylesbury. We don't care what age but prefer 6 weeks to 8 months old.

A little late on the reply here.

I live in the city, and I've raised Pekins, Muscovies and Khaki Campbells.  I raised the Pekins for meat, just to get some experience with them.  They sure do like to eat!  I purchased 10 from Metzer Farms, pre sexed as males so I paid a premium, but I was ok with it.

Muscovies are decent too.  Some others on the forum have raised them as well.  They are really good at raising their young.  People say the Khaki Campbells don't go broody, but mine sure do.  I've already hatched two clutches and sold the chicks, keeping a few to add to the flock.

Right now I have 1 muscovy male to be butchered for meat, and a flock of 5 Khaki Campbells for eggs.  2 males, 3 females.  This way I can get fertilized eggs If I want.  Not bad for a small city lot.