wetauser

My pond and first AP system

19 posts in this topic

Thought I would post some pictures of my set up as it is now just starting.although from the plant to the left of the grow bed you can see that I am already using the nitrates the growth rate on this plant is huge and has to be given frequent hair cuts.the blue tub contains brushes and the water enters at the top and flows down to remove solids mainly algae before it enters the gravel, the outlet pipe is purposely high to cause splashing and provide a cooler environment by evaporation or so I hope,as it is my first try I am experimenting.post-5284-13795788889324_thumb.jpg

post-5284-13795788888098_thumb.jpg

post-5284-13795788888696_thumb.jpg

Looking at your pictures, Kind of miss Thailand. But then I remember the heat and I am okay... LOL

Yes I have to work for about 15 minutes then go for a cool down,some times I even get in with the Koi they don,t seem to mind or have never said anything to me yet.

But cool season coming soon! best time of year,

Just now I pump the water from the chamber that the three bottom pond drains flow to,but after reading about the nitrogen cycle would I be better to pump from the final chamber after all the filtering has taken place and maximum ammonia converted to nitrates ,or is there a further stage in which bacteria convert nitrate to nitrogen and rob me of the nutrient?

Edited by wetauser (see edit history)

wow, you're doing a great job, nice pictures! I'm also planning to have my own pond in our backyard.

these pictures kinda inspire me more. thanks for sharing!

post-5284-13795789016577_thumb.jpg

Well one month further on veg has started to grow, at first very slow,not what I had been expecting after watching the Youtube video,s! these give a false expectations of growth rates,so I planted up a raised bed as a direct comparison, at first the raised bed plants raced ahead but now the grow bed plants have caught up and overtaken them as the bed matured,so much so that I am planning three more grow beds fed by my smaller pond, tilapia already installed but hiding I hope, not seen them since putting them in,

new systems can take a little while before they start "producing" in the plant department.... but after the system matures a bit, you should notice the difference..

make sure you use a good quality food for your koi, because that is the fertilizer for your plants..

I have found if my plants are growing slow it is because I have done something wrong.. as long as I can get things all working the way they are suppose to they do grow faster than in the dirt.. And Keith_r is right also has to do with growbed maturity

Great koi pond, more than enough fish waste to fill the fence line with grow beds in my opinion.

The initial mistake I made was planting before the grow bed had matured,in my case, using an establish pond that has a population of well grown fish I did not want to add any booster to the system to help with early plant growth,knowing this my next beds will be left empty for a month before I plant anything.

But this morning found first flowers on the Okra so now awaiting for the fruit (or Veg) of my labours

Hi a great Koi pond and I agree with Toga this is a great opportunity to add more grow beds if you have the room.

Hi Joey,

Thanks for the reply,I am also trying to grow lettuce in the filter channel using a polystyrene raft which cannot be seen,but too early to say if this will work ,the temperature here is around 30 plus all the time,and the sun is extra fierce just now.

So I am going to try the next step, 3 grow beds filled with gravel using my smaller pond as the water source,this pond is in a more shady cooler area and is full of mosquito fish plus 25 tilapia fingerings ,I have already put in a swirl filter and bio filter to provide the clean water for this project,but need to source the grow beds and install them next, keeping down the cost is part of the fun .

post-5284-13795789086297_thumb.jpg

Well another two weeks have passed and the grow bed is now really going well ,picked a few okra and lettuce, the okra a sun loving plant is providing shade for the lettuce which is now is growing well, I will use this method of plant sun shade on the new beds it seems to work so well.

Changed my mind on the siting of the extra grow beds because of issues with falling leaves near the small pond,so trying three cheap plastic tubs all piped up with syphons working just waiting for the gravel,these will be left until after christmas to mature before planting takes place, water is coming from a Velda clear control 50 unit that I had spare.

post-5284-13795789085039_thumb.jpg

post-5284-13795789085709_thumb.jpg

Hi Wetauser,

Today was my first glimpse of your early photos......and particularly your pond.

That pond would be an asset to any aspiring backyard farmer. What size is it?

Gary

Hi Gary,

The pond is 12 meters long by 3.5 meters wide and 2 meters deep and there is also a filter channel hidden under the deck below the grow beds, approx. all together about 100 cubic meters volume .

There are thirty koi in there all grown from fingerlings its a bit green with all the strong sun but I think this protects the fish from being burnt,any thoughts? I want to build a small roof over it but my wife is not in agreement

This pond is built from reinforced concrete and was built because the other garden pond became too small for the original 12 koi I started out with.I will put some Tilapia in there once they have had a quarantine period in my small pond

Hi,

I think it's great.

There are thirty koi in there all grown from fingerlings its a bit green with all the strong sun but I think this protects the fish from being burnt,any thoughts?

I don't know if fish suffer from sunburn or not. The likely advantage in having green water is that it would discourage the kingfishers, cormorants and other predators from being able to spot the fish.

I want to build a small roof over it but my wife is not in agreement

You might be able to convince her to put a small shade house over one end of it.

In any case, with a capacity of around 90,000 litres, it's a great facility.

Gary

Its 3 month since I started with my first grow bed,and here is the latest picture

[ATTACH]3730[/ATTACH]

The Okra has nearly reached the top of the frame and provides about three pickings a week.

The chillies have just started to flower as have the tomatoes .

The first lettuce bolted and have been cleared ,next batch sown directly into the bed still waiting for them to appear

What have I learnt in three month.

Plants directly in the gravel ,do better than those in pots even with the open slitted sides.

The smallest water valve you can start the syphon with is the easiest to control,with a large bore valve, flows vary greatly.

Companion planting works very well,sun lovers providing shade for more tender plants.

post-5284-13795789160514_thumb.jpg

My aquaponics system has been going now for three years, and the results are mixed, plants like Okra grow like weeds with no problems, but my attempts with tomatoes have ended in failure the plants grow fine apart from pests like leaf miner,and the cock chaffer lava which cuts the stem of smaller plants,but the flowers very rarely produce tomatoes,

My latest venture is Chinese water chestnuts which appear to be doing very well, planted in a bog like bed the water flowing in and out on the surface, no harvest yet waiting for the tops to start dying back

post-1598-0-04608100-1381306769_thumb.jp

Hi wetauser

Good to see you are still running the system and that it is still running well.

Cheers

Joey

Well it been ages since I updated this page,I gave up on trying to grow vegetables and greens,just too many bugs and the high humidity,but latest venture coming along nicely,I have Bananas in my grow beds and they have just started to fruit, so fingers crossed, 

I also have fresh water Crayfish living in the filters that I hope will breed, but catching them is another matter maybe something like a crab pot would work.

Mike

IMG_1234.jpgIMG_1233.jpg

bigdaddy, bcotton and ande like this