GaryD

Frogs

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

One of the other really nice things about our NFT system is that it attracts frogs. I can only assume that its the sound of running water and the verdant flush of the plants. When ever we set the unit up, green tree frogs move in shortly after.

We're always happy to see them......they're an indicator that the immediate environment (at least) is OK.

I spotted the larger frog on the ground last night. It was quiet and friendly enough but its little mate in the NFT trough was proclaiming his presence rather more loudly.

Gary

post-2-13795788814424_thumb.jpg

post-2-13795788815176_thumb.jpg

neighbor likes this

Cute, little hydroponic frogs, how long does it take before you can harvest them ..:) Just kidding. Nice picture Gary

neighbor likes this

Hi,

During the past few days, I've been rearing this tadpole in my make up water tank. It just showed up in the tank one day.....about 3mm (1/8"). Since then it's grown to the point where it now has back legs.

This is the only frog that I've ever reared.......and the probability is that it's a cane toad.

Gary

post-2-13795789242616_thumb.jpg

Awww Baby picture from the proud father:) great job. Now if you could only eat it.. Frogs are a normal fair here in Taiwan. I do enjoy eating them.

Frogs are a normal fair here in Taiwan. I do enjoy eating them.

I've never tried eating frogs,

I want to see pics of Pugo cooking frogs on his BBQ;)

Hi Pugo,

You are welcome to eat all of the cane toads you want......but the poison sacs on their backs makes them unattractive/deadly to most creatures who would attempt to eat them.

As this article suggests, however, there those (like Andrew Zimmern of "Bizarre Foods") who will attempt to eat anything.

Gary

Do know anything about cane toads, I have heard of them but that is about it.. I will try to do something in the spring on frogs here in Taiwan, they stir fry them with Thai basil, comes out great.

Frogs taste good . I raise bullfrog leopard frog and clawd frogs. Albino clawd frogs can be packed alive in jars and served fresh in Asian dishes but in America sold as pet. Tadpoles are neat with clawd frogs way different than most kinds. Occasionally trees frogs and cane toads will lay eggs in my grow pools. Bullfrogs are raced as yearly event near me. Anyone else grow frogs in AP systems?

Frogs taste good . I raise bullfrog leopard frog and clawd frogs. Albino clawd frogs can be packed alive in jars and served fresh in Asian dishes but in America sold as pet. Tadpoles are neat with clawd frogs way different than most kinds. Occasionally trees frogs and cane toads will lay eggs in my grow pools. Bullfrogs are raced as yearly event near me. Anyone else grow frogs in AP systems?

I am thinking of opening a home for legless bullfrogs!

In the wild when we harvest frog legs we only cut one back leg off this is more humane bc the frog lives and can still breed a new generation.

In the wild when we harvest frog legs we only cut one back leg off this is more humane bc the frog lives and can still breed a new generation.

In Australia, it would probably get you 90 days up the river for animal cruelty.  While leaving a heap of one-legged frogs in your wake might be practical, it's hardly humane.

Hi

In Australia, it would probably get you 90 days up the river for animal cruelty.

post-968-0-11182100-1459418977_thumb.jpg

Yeah around here, you would get a huge fine $$$ for doing that :judge:

cheers

My grandfather was the last generation to hunt frogs for food in my family. Today my family hunts frog on the occasion. Normally we go out with a light at night but we normally never eat them. We hunt frogs for hobby or sport. Honestly been looking for that trophy bullfrog to inter into race one year. My grandfather introduced us to road frogging. This easier way to spot frogs and fill up by the buckets. Rainy weather at night causes frogs to go onto highways for warmth .as younger kids we would see would could catch the most then release them to a safer location. 😀