Caca

My carp system

It's not finish, I arranged how supposed to be.

White arrows is gravity line from FT.

Red is return on winter month.

Black barrel it's gonna be heavy aerated.

Not on picture - Raft GB in middle , on top of ( I don't know the word - hole in floor ).Raft GB gonna be same hight as others GB, so under him it,s gonna be 3 x 50 L trickle filters.

Raft GB system : Sump (white barrel) => RGB => Trickle filters => Sump (white sump) That's how I call them = white and black sump .

I don't know is I explain right, so If is there a question, I will answer.

Picture of filtration

post-5185-13795789532811_thumb.jpg

It looks like things are happing for you now that spring has arrived. Are you carrying any fish yet?

I put 30 fish fingerlings ( 1 year old = 150 to 200 gr each) today Joey.

Cut gravel GB from 300 mm to 150 mm and instead 100 fish in 1000 L, now is 30 fish in 3000 L.:tongue: So, GB smaller by 1/2 capacity and fish/liter ration smaller by 90%, because fish/liter ratio is not essential and my plan is to grow each fish to 2-3 kg of weight x 30 = 60-90 kg total fish mass.

Maybe I can go higher with number of fish, but my plan is to feed them as much as they can eat. Goal is to have a lot of fish poop, not lot of fish as I earlier thinking.

And filtering,filtering,filtering. I'm ( little ) worrying about decision to go with 150 mm deep gravel GB with tomato,zucchini,eggplant,watermelon,sweet melon,cucumber...

I guess I will see...:wink:

Oh, and I'm gonna also put with carp in FT five brown bullhead. It's a pest here and plan is that catfish eat what carp leave uneaten and it's healthy for carp to have competition for food.

P.S. to adjust F&D with autosyphon at 150 mm deep GB is so hard to do. Pffff I'm so stressed out.

After cycling my system at fall last year , and Nitrobacter is gone in winter ( water temp 0 C) but Nitrosomonas are survive,.

I was waiting that water temp in FT get 15 C and add fish.

As I expected , after 3 days with fish in FT and 2 days of feeding , my NH4=0, NO2 is hit the roof, and NO3 is same as before adding fish. Ph nailed at 7,4.

Now water temp is 18-20 C, will see how long my semi-cycling system need to start lowering NO3. My guess it would be faster than first cycling, but I can be wrong.

This is how is gonna be every spring.:frown:

I'm gonna shoot a video " The First 6 Months 2012", and then 2013,2014,.....:tongue:

My guess it would be faster than first cycling, but I can be wrong.

well, my guess is right.

Yesterday NO2 was over 1 mg/l, and today is 0,2 mg/l. After only 5 days with fish, system is cycling.

That means IMHO my redesign of system work very well. Now I'm sure that my AP it's gonna work even after subzero temp if I do it this way.

I just can believe :

-after 6 month without fish,

-after water temp indoor 0 C

-and after replacing 90 % old water

-and washing all gravel and all GB

-with new filters ( incomplete )

only took 5 days (ok, a week to get NO2 to 0) . I even do test 3 times and 4th time I test with another kit. Unbelievable.

Sounds like your bacteria were hibernating in the winter like bears do and now they are awake and hungry.

I am pre growing my bacteria for my system by filtering the water from a 30 gallon aquarium through a large trickle wet/dry filter and will "seed" my AP filter system with filter media from that. this should cut my cycle time way down.

Good idea for growing. I like it.

My major problem is temp. When is 15 C, I must feed fish (Carp start to feed properly) and plant some plants.

Temp of 15 C not great for bacteria to grow. If I grow bac separately, like you, it must be in temp higher than 15 C, and there is a problem. To introduce bac in filter media with colder water then they grow ( that will reduce grow and I'm on start point again).

I can heat AP water but to heat 3600 L it's to expensive for me. This spring I was lucky to have few sunny days and raise temp of water to 20 C.

And I reduce GB from 300 mm to 150 so that will help less water/gravel/air temp exchange = more temp stability of water. I hope so.

Sounds like your bacteria were hibernating in the winter like bears do and now they are awake and hungry.

Nitrosomonas yes, but for Nitrobacter I'm not sure. I read they die below 0 C. If this is true there is no way they grow so fast in 5 days when Nitrite rise from 0 to over 1 mg/l.

I think that grow of Nitrobacter can be boost with extra heavy aeration what I do.

So, at the same temperature, let it be 15 C, there be different grow of Nitrobacteria depending of aeration ( low , medium, high).As we know, colder water= more oxygen.

It's only in my theory, I'm not scientist.

And I reduce GB from 300 mm to 150 so that will help less water/gravel/air temp exchange = more temp stability of water. I hope so.

Wrong. Shallow beds heat faster. That could be be problem when summer comes. Maybe this is good for tilapia, but for carp I don't think so.

Back to drawing board. ;)

In future, shallow beds I'm gonna use to heat water in early spring, as " heat collector & nitrification ", then out of the system.

Whatever happens this growing season, I'm gonna

Some pics

post-5185-13795789874294_thumb.jpg

1st GB Cucumber and what left of lettuce

2nd GB sweet-melon and lettuce too

3rd GB Tomato (3 types) , lettuce eaten, chives

P.S. funny you all lean your head to left. lol

Sorry , I had to do it . :P

1. GB peppers and on the left 3 water melon

2. GB Peppers and tomato (2 types) on the left

3. GB tomato (3 types), chives

Lettuce was in all 3 GB , now is eaten.

post-5185-13795789874882_thumb.jpg

Hit the wall again.

Water temp 30 C (air 38 C) and it's not summer yet. All fish dead. Balkan peninsula is hottest in Europe. I can't remember this kind of whether ever.

Maybe I change name from Caca to Sisyphus. Nothing I can do until I buy some land out of city. Now I know a lot, but it's impossible in these conditions. I meam, -20 C in winter, +35 in summer.

Well, it's cold beer time.

Cheers

Stop thinking, just do it

you should be sponsored by Nike  :D

Hi Caca.....good to hear from you again.

It sounds like it's time to get back in the saddle again, mate.

Gary

Thank you Gary

ohh its being very difficult few years for me , My wife lose job, layoff from work, year after me to, following year my father die from heart attack, my kids take lose of grandpa badly (depression),I'm trying to "glue it" all , everybody looking at me as a strong one in family , especially my mother.

Life goes on, is time to pull even harder, and do some gardening and AP to calm down and relax my mind.

Cheers 

Hi again Caca

Life sure is a bitch at times, being the strong one, that every one turns to, and rely on, is a tuff burden/task.

I'm glad to see you back on the forum, and wish you well in your strugles, remember to take care of your selfe as well, in your efforts to glue things togheter.

If I was sponsored by Nike I would say "Just do it" :biggrin:

take care cheers

Tnx ande for the kind words

As you know,well, I'v been to hell and back before, so second time it's like riding a bike.I know the drill.

Plan is to dedicate 80 % of time to veggie garden (eat healthy and save money) and less to AP for now.

Its gonna be a small raft setup to with big FT with low density fish, to use AP water for garden, so that I can anytime add more fish and beds.

Cheers and beers

Tank you Gary,

It means a lot because I learned a lot from you, not only about AP, but also as a person and I know about your fight with cancer.

I'm uncomfortable talking/writing online about personal matters and my feelings in details,especially coz I don't do that in real life. Reason for that is that people give me advise which I already know, try to motivate me, and I'm grateful for that but, I was born motivated. Never have a lack of motivation in my life so far, I never lose hope. Born positive,optimistic. Kind of person that others come for help,money and advise. Only thing that I really need in my life is love from my wife and kids, which I have. ;)