Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GaryD

World Aquaponics Association

110 posts in this topic

Wow, it's a shame that some of these retailers aren't managing their quality (read as: future customers) better. I've heard it a million times - "if you want to ruin something you love, try to do it for a living." I wonder if they built their systems like poop when they were still hobbiests??

Anyway, I've previous given my thoughts on the "Association" and who it might best serve. The comment about selling a system AND fish on the same day just kills me. It's just wrong.

As I think about it, I couldn't imagine having someone coming in to build and setup a system for me. AP is sort of my mental health therapy - all the tinkering and trial and error and research and sourcing supplies, etc. I realize not everyone enjoys or is interested in building things, but to me, it's the best part of this hobby. Sure clears my head of all the poop from the "day job."

For a beginner, finding the right information really can be confusing. Fortunately, I have been breeding/raising fish for years, I just wanted to add GB's and grow nice veggies. So, when I was advised (on another site) that "I didn't need any filtration - just plant my GB's and don't worry about it" I was a little shocked. My main tank is 1500 liters and densely stocked. I'd have to knock down my house to build enough GB's to support all the fish. Even then, my experience told me I needed to keep the existing filtration in place for now. I've since received some great ideas on alternative filtration methods and I'm having fun building the "perfect" filter system. Just need to get it plumbed in and see if the fish like it!

Sorry, digressing....my main point there was that a person can stumble onto many paths in this hobby, all of which contain knowledgeable people with great pics of systems and healthy plants and fish on their forums. Without past experience, there is no way to know what is right without killing a bunch of fish and plants if you choose the wrong path first. In addition, those of us not living in Oz or the US don't have retail shops to walk into and pick up supplies (or order complete systems). It's a challenge just to find the thing that most closely resembles the thing you really need, then try to make it work. Or, deal with the rediculous taxes and duties if you order outside (then wait several weeks and hope your stuff gets there in one piece). Anyway, I guess that's why I love the DIY approach. The added bonus is that the "snake oil" salesman aren't here and if they were, they'd have nothing to offer. Honestly, if new folks just invest some time in the forums and general articles, including Aquaculture, Hydroponics and of course, AP, a newbie can sort their way through it and get something built.

I appreciate all the help and discussion. I need to get some pictures posted - I'd really like some input/critique on what I'm doing.

Thanks guys,

Chip

Hello everyone. I have been viewing the forums for a long while and after reading the comments here about the Association I just had to make a comment of my own. I hope that is fine by everyone.

Fishfood2 must have been somewhere else. The Conference held in Orlando was nothing short of inspirational. There were several workshops run by very experienced people who have many years of experience. There were speakers from several countries as well as from here.

There were over 250 people, maybe more all having a good time and enjoying themselves.

The food was fantastic. Particularly the dinner on Saturday night.

Once again, Fishfood2 must have been somewhere else.

Hello everyone. I have been viewing the forums for a long while and after reading the comments here about the Association I just had to make a comment of my own. I hope that is fine by everyone.

Fishfood2 must have been somewhere else. The Conference held in Orlando was nothing short of inspirational. There were several workshops run by very experienced people who have many years of experience. There were speakers from several countries as well as from here.

There were over 250 people, maybe more all having a good time and enjoying themselves.

The food was fantastic. Particularly the dinner on Saturday night.

Once again, Fishfood2 must have been somewhere else.

Hello and Wellcome to APHQ

I asked some Q adressed to ff2, maybe you could answer them? I'll refrase here

Can you provide some info on the launch meeting sceduled on the Sunday?

How many joined?

US or international?

Hom got ellected?........................

A deafening silence, on this ? Did it happen or flop?

cheers

Hello Ande, everyone who attended the formation meeting were deemed to be members in order to have an initial vote. Their membership was one dollar from their conference attendance fee. The meeting was conducted according to US law governing the formation of a 501c 3G and 6C. . A 6C style non profit is able to lobby Government.

The attendees are deemed to be paid up members until December 30. This will allow time for the legal filing of the new entity under US law. January 1 regular dues will be payable by members. I am not sure of the names of the governing committee but I can get that for you in an hour or two. Not sure of the name spelling.

Here it is

Chairperson is Gina Cavelero from Florida, Vise chair Kobus Jooste from South Africa, Secretary is Wayne Hall, treasurer, Mark Rhyne from Arazona.

Chapter at large is Charlie Price from the UK. Murray Hallam for the Australian chapter

Sorry, the number at the meeting was over 250. An interesting thing that happened. There was a fund raising auction of a donated greenhouse and Aquaponic system. When bidding slowed it was knocked down for 900.00 The auctioneer ( Murray Hallam) said it was not really enough, someone suggested that everyone contribute 5.00. It was just amazing, people came up the front with cash donations. The spontaneous donations totaled over 2,000.00

OMG MR. By Gosh and By Golly. Well that just set aquaponics back fifty years. With his refusal to accept things that are as plain as the nose on his face and his nose is something you couldn't miss. This is totally disheartening form common sense point of view. But he is a great self promoter maybe he can promote aquaponics, but once anyone really understands this subject his value becomes greatly diminished so it is a flip of a coin to his value to aquaponics.

Sorry, the number at the meeting was over 250. An interesting thing that happened. There was a fund raising auction of a donated greenhouse and Aquaponic system. When bidding slowed it was knocked down for 900.00 The auctioneer ( Murray Hallam) said it was not really enough, someone suggested that everyone contribute 5.00. It was just amazing, people came up the front with cash donations. The spontaneous donations totaled over 2,000.00

wait wait wait... there was an announced auction of a donated gh and ap system .. but .. when it ddidnt reach what they WANTED.. they aasked for more? .. lol ... kind of defeats the purpose of auction.. hehehehehhehe...

OMG MR. By Gosh and By Golly. Well that just set aquaponics back fifty years. With his refusal to accept things that are as plain as the nose on his face and his nose is something you couldn't miss. This is totally disheartening form common sense point of view. But he is a great self promoter maybe he can promote aquaponics, but once anyone really understands this subject his value becomes greatly diminished so it is a flip of a coin to his value to aquaponics.

what's that mean?

Keith-r, it means that Pugo can't think of anything worthwhile to say.

Vihalvor, the idea is to raise funds, and it was very successful.

Go to the Facebook page to see the reactions of those that actually attended. It was a highly successful event by any measure.

Sorry, further information see www.Facebook.com/AquaponicsAssociation

Thank you for the detailed answer, I have no reasons to be negative, towards the AP ASS or the persons elected to serve in the differente roles.

I made some statements in this thread, regarding the first draft proposed, but those were shared by others, and got sorted out fine, it seems?

I don’t have a Facebook acount nor will I get one, there will be a home page established I asume?

I can’t see any reasons for me personaly to join the apass, at the current time, but that might change in the future?

So I intend/plan to keep my selfe updated, and see how it evolves.

There was a person from Denmark atending? Can you confirm that? He or she would be fairly close to me here in s Norway, that might be interesting?

Also did you get a sense on the number of hobbyists or backyarders atending?

Thanks again for the update much apprichiated.

cheers

hey gazza.. i'm sure you are right, but i imagine that someone with as much experience running ap (i think he started this april) would have some facts to back up claims, but when i ask him for something specific he never replies..

Hello Ande, there was a man from Germany who presented on solar. Very interesting. Some new technology he spoke about. I am hoping to get some video of his talk. There was a video crew there and they taped the entire event and segments will be made available I understand.

I am not sure if there was anyone from Norway. There certianly was a very strong overseas presence. Many countries were represented.

You asked about the make up of the attendees. Most were home owners, but there was a good number interested in larger systems that would yield an income. It was a very inspiring event.

Hi,

This was of intense interest to many among the aquaponics community for a brief period of time......and then it died very quickly.

The (predictable) outcome of the conference proceedings (as they related to the Aquaponics Association) was that Gina Cavallero was elected World President, Sylvia Bernstein was appointed to the position of the President US chapter (the jewel in the crown) and Murray Hallam was appointed President of the Australian chapter.

Most of the more important concerns of those asked to comment were ignored.

Several people had asked about membership benefits for backyard aquaponicists. Prior to the conference, the interim management of the association had promised to articulate the benefits - but that didn't happen.

After the conference, Murray Hallam interviewed Sylvia and asked her about the benefits of membership for backyard aquaponicists. Nothing much happened there either.

The failure of these two "internationally-recognised experts" to be able to articulate membership benefits is disconcerting....but not surprising.

In years to come, historians will be able to report that the World Aquaponics Association had "inglorious" beginnings.

Gary

Having read most of the threads my 2 pennies worth:

Reading the threads I see some positive input, then lots criticism, lots of trashing about. But I see little to no alternatives or suggestions on ideas. At the end, one should keep in mind: Together and organized is better then standing alone. Or are Backyard AP's loners and stand-a-lone fighters....? If you want to develop further and go to commercial levels one must think of what is coming in the future and this could be lot of red tapes by government organizations which will tell you what you can do or not do..... So we need all the help we can get.

What are the suggestions to get organized in a proper association, an association which can represent the Aquaponians backyard AP's, private and commercial setups? Who is going to put weight on government to cut existing and future red tapes to AP.... to represent AP on government level with some weight, some authority?

The Americans always think big..... this is nothing new, and Murray, he must have had his reasons to attend and get involved on with the AU Chapter. He was the Star at the conference, well accepted and he entertained everyone. He stood answers to any questions that where asked. He was a big asset at the conference. He (Murray) maybe is thinking of expanding his business knowhow also to the USA...., what is wrong with that? So, the USA organizers instead of naming this "US Aquaponics Association" (which in my personal opinion would be a more proper and correct name to this start-up) they name it "World Aquaponics Association" and through Murray link AU into the basket.....What about all other countries? An AP Association with only two Chapters, USA and AU? Maybe a wrong start with the left foot? But then again, what is the right start-up, and how do we start getting organized?

I was there in Florida. The conference was well organized. I think it was a first step in the right direction (as I understand it was the first such AP conference ever held at least in USA). I personally would not hesitate going to Conference no. 2. You where able to attend lots of different workshops and if you missed one, there where ways to catch up on the information. One of the most interesting ones in my opinion was the innovative solar system presented by the German inventor.

Then they had well organized Tours to Aquaponic setups within Orlando, visit to the Aquaponic System at Disney (Epcot). The organization was well prepared and managed. It was up to each individual how much he wanted to make out of it and/or profit from it.

I personally do not know what is going to become of this first intention and/or start up with this WAPAssociation., time will tell. It seems Walt Disney and/or Epcot might be joining up, I don't know.

My question: Any suggestions on how we need to go about to get this properly started and rolling, a good worldwide recognizable Aquaponics Association?

I got this in an email recently. Did anyone else?

Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

A message to all members of Aquaponic Gardening

Hi All,

I wanted to send out a quick update about the new Aquaponics Association, and solicit your feedback on the U.S. Branch structure (assuming you are one of our U.S. community members).

The Aquaponics Association was unanimously formed at the Aquaponics Conference this past September. Everyone attending the conference was given temporary membership to the Association as part of their registration fees for the conference. Official membership registration for everyone should be open soon...first we needed to get the charter filed, which enables a bank account to be opened, which enables a PayPal account to be opened, etc.

I was fortunate enough to be elected to serve as the Chairman of the U.S. Chapter of the Association, along with Jesse Hull as Vice Chairman, Meg Stout as Secretary, and Tom Knoll as Treasurer. We have been working hard to get the US branch organized, and need to start by getting the Branch structure within the U.S. off to a running start.

We need your feedback whether you are currently an Aquaponics Association member (i.e. attended the Conference) or plan to join once membership registration becomes available to everyone. If this describes you please continue reading...

Branch Structure. We have spent quite a bit of time discussing how to best form the initial set of U.S. branches, and are honestly still not quite sure how to approach it. On the one hand we started with a very structured list of branches that encompassed the entire United States. From this list we started requesting volunteers to be officers...of which many of you applied and are waiting to hear from us regarding appointments. On the other hand, we have had several inquiries about forming more local branches. Since our goal is to harness as much of the enthusiasm that is out there in the U.S. for the promotion of aquaponics as possible we want to recognize these requests for more localized branches (i.e. Northern Pheonix vs a Desert States Branch). But we need to understand what you think would work best first.

To further this we have created three additional guidelines for forming a Branch.

1.Must have at least three Association members who are willing to act as officers – Chairman, Treasurer, and Secretary.

2.Not more than one person from anyone company or organization can serve as a Branch officer at the same time (e.g. we can’t have three folks from Duluth Acme Aquaponics running the Duluth Branch).

3.When a Branch is formed the founding members should be confident that they can grow to at least ten members by the next election in September, 2012. While Branches can exist and be active with less than ten members, they will only receive funding for projects if they have ten members or more.

4.Must only be engaged in legal activities.

Given these guidelines, can you see joining the Association and forming a local Branch in your area? Do we have a need for higher level, Regional Branches? Would you be interested in serving?

Please click on this link to take a quick survey and let us know what you think! If you are interested in forming a local branch please indicate your interest through this survey no later than Tuesday, November 1 at 6 pm EST.

Thank you!

Sylvia

Hi,

Yes......it seems that Sylvia is becoming active in building her empire.......but neither she, nor anyone else associated with the aquaponics association, seems capable of articulating the benefits for backyarders.

Most of the threats, that she and Hallam have spoken about, are actually straw men. For example, there's actually much more risk of quasi-government intervention in AP if people like them talk about prospective health issues, etc.

Another issue is that the aquaponics association is being run by equipment suppliers rather than producers. While this was raised prior to the conference, it was clearly ignored by the "working group."

For all of the appearance of a consultative process prior to the formation of the association, most of the more important suggestions were ignored......largely because they interfered with the marketing plans of the organisers.

We haven't heard a peep from the President of the Australian chapter.

Gary

If that is true, it seems weird to me that suppliers would want more involvement from their prospective governments.

Hi Walter,

Please let me quote you:

"At the end, one should keep in mind: Together and organized is better then standing alone. Or are Backyard AP's loners and stand-a-lone fighters....? If you want to develop further and go to commercial levels one must think of what is coming in the future and this could be lot of red tapes by government organizations which will tell you what you can do or not do..... So we need all the help we can get."

This is exactly the silly horse sh_t Ms. Sylvia and her gang would have us believe. No one is standing alone and against what?? This forum IS both backyarders and professionals sharing and developing ideas. What more do we need? What are we missing by not joining her Association? To this day, nobody has effectively answered the question: What is in it for the backyard, DIY crowd? Yes there are several here and there that would possibly benefit increased kit sales and consulting fees. Excellent, the Association would be a great networking opportunity for them. Nobody is saying it's not a good thing...but it truly does not fit the comprehensive needs of the AP community. These forums offer much more, without the cliques and elections and by-laws garbage.

I've never slammed Murray or his site, in fact there are some pretty sharp folks that hang out there. Many of them have asked the exact same question I just did. There are extensive posts on this very subject on his site.

I understand folks like Sylvia stand to build their businesses and hopefully profit from the industry - more power to them. That's certainly no reason to follow her or join something that brings no real value to the majority. She's a successful businesswoman and Marketing Professional. Not sure what her actual AP resume looks like, but I guess it really doesn't matter - she's the Pied Piper and you know the rest of the story.

As Gary and others have alluded to - their actions (an Association) potentially puts the group under a microscope and invites gov't regulation. Then, along with Association dues, people may be subject to licensing fees, health inspections and who knows what else. Before the members can possibly be protected by an Association, as you mentioned, they would most likely first be subjected to some level of regulation, restriction, etc.

Actually Walter, according to our personal details, neither of us lives in either Oz or the US. Don't know about you, but this is exactly the kind of poop I was happy to leave when I jumped across the ocean. I guess now there are an additional two pennie's worth in the pot.

Cheers

Hi

From past experience I can tell you that if all the talk about health risks etc around aquaponics is raised in any local or state govt dept we will all have a very big problem.

Many years ago in South Australia we were approached by a group of Vietnamese doctors from the Royal Adelaide Hospital to incubate fertile chicken eggs for 18 days (they hatch at 21 days).

We set thousands of eggs all handled with care, and remembering that if everything is not right, or unhygienic, inside the cabinet, the eggs will go rotten or explode. Never ever had a problem.

One day an inspector from the local council walked through our front gate to check what we had done with a large order of pullets we had bought and subsequently sold. (good old days of the egg boards). He asked why we had such large incubators. I foolishly told him we bought fertile eggs from a registered breeder, incubated them for 18 days and sold them to the doctors.

He was adamant that the eggs qualified as food production. Couldn't come up with any regs that applied, but proceeded to throw his weight around and over a period of months while he tried to find a heavy hammer to hit us with, came up with a demand that we tile a 20x40x15ft high shed with white tiles floor to rooftop. We had to stop supplying the market.

The point of this story is, if these fools continue to talk about hygiene issues some gov wally out there, who has no understanding of the workings of an aquaponic system will go out to make a name for himself.

So folks for those of you who have never been visited by a council or state gov inspector and don't ever want the pleasure, I would suggest you contact these so called aquaponics association reps and tell them to shut the hell up and come up with another marketing strategy to encourage members to join their happy little band.

Jan

Hi Sylvia,

Interesting Aviator you have there, Is that done with a "fish eye" lens?

I'm neither for, equally, I'm not against such an association, I'm prepared to consider the benefits of such an association to me

I've asked Murray to post on his forum a list of benefits that he can see (that can be adjusted or added to as time goes bye) of such an association to a "backyarder".

Would you please post a list on this forum the benefits you can see for a backyard operator.

I'm curious to see the direction and vision of the World wide Aquaponics Association, I'm also interested to find out what the leadership can see as solid tangible benefits for backyard operators like myself.

I look forward to pursuing your list.

Cheers.

If that is true, it seems weird to me that suppliers would want more involvement from their prospective governments.

Gfunk1127

Not weird at all, the government is always throwing around grants for projects like this, it is like free money. As this is all about making a buck anyway. If it's successful then the government will move into Aquaponics with a truck load of regulations, that will be fun.

My apologies folks,

When I addressed the last post, I addressed it to Sylvia As Sylvia's name was on the bottom of the post that Gfunk posted, I thought Gfunk was her.

My previous post was actually meant to be a positive post and not sarcastic at all as it would appear.

My apologies for the confusion.

Hi BD,

Any word yet from the leadership of the World Aquaponics Association on the benefits of membership for backyarders?

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes I have spoken to Murray, and he has told me the list I seek will be released in the form of a mission statement when the leadership feel they are ready.

I look forward to perusing the mission statement and then I can make a decision if the association would be of benefit to me.

ATM, I remain neither for it equally, nor am I against it.

Cheers.