Walter

Greetings from Panama

11 posts in this topic

Greetings from Panama.

In Panama we are Persian Lime and Humus producers. For some of you which may not know there are two Panama's. Our location is not in Panama, Florida, it's in the Republic of Panama (Central America). This is a spanish speaking country with a population of about 3.2 Mill. people. Ah yes, then we have the famous Canal which connects the Atlantic and the Pacific. There are some huge ships navigating through here....

At one of the farms we started construction of our first Aquaponics system. The first Aquaponics System we are making is based on "Barrel Ponics from Travis W. Hughey". Hopefully the water will be running through the system this week.

Am glad to have signed up as lots of useful and very valuable information is being provided here.

Saludos desde Panama!

post-5069-13795788649323_thumb.jpg

post-5069-13795788649954_thumb.jpg

Welcome to Aquaponics HQ! Hola :) Congrats, on your new system, post some pictures. Curious whats with the building in the picture?

Hello Pugo,

Thanks for the welcome!

This is an "earth dome". It measures over 20 feet in diamter and has 2 stories. This type of buildings are also known as "earthbag buildings". You can find a lot of information on the internet. Here is a weblink you come to when you give in "earthbag buildings":

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=earthbag+building&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

We want to try integrate "Aquaponics" into these type of buildings or mode of living. I think Aquaponics can fit perfectly well into such type of home.

Welcome to APHQ Walter:)

Love the pic of the Earth Dome.

Now that is a cool idea, as I have to build a new house in the Philippines anyway.. This maybe the ticket thanks for sharing..

actually.. i think there ARE earthdomes in Philippines ... they were poorly built, so now they are decaying faster than they can be repaired :P ...

http://murphysmagiccommunity.com/profiles/blogs/my-dome-house-in-the

http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/projects/clinic.htm

this one however, looks promising....

http://tinyhouseblog.com/pre-fab/international-dome-houses/

Thank you all for the welcome greetings.

Pugo/Vihalvor: you can contact me on my e-mail for more information about dome housing. You already found what could be the shortcomings of such buildings if not the right materials or the right process of construction is used. For us to use as natural material "earth" its because it is available in abundance". Its also a matter of being "energy efficient and to co-exist with our environment". A further example: Our agriculture division is operated 100% organic (we use no chemicals). We produce our own humus (natural fertilizer from californian worms) and our own natural repellent that we produce. The repellent here is called "vinagre de madera" which translates into english as "wood vinager".

We are now hooked on AQUAPONICS and we hope that we can learn a lot from your experiences in this field. Thank you again for the warm receipt to your forum!

hey walter.. your concept sounds really great .. you should give us a thurough introduction of your farm and its workings here.. pictures and all :D ..

We are all here to learn from eachother, and it seems as you could surely offer us some deeper insights into organic farming :)

Hi Walter,

Welcome aboard.....glad to see that you've become a member.

I love the little dome structure, too.

Gary

Aloha!!! Walter..

I'm Norm808 and I'm new here. My wife and I live in the Republic De Panama. We've been here about 1 1/2 years. We want to set up a aquponics system but have been having a hard time finding tilapia fingerlings. Are you still living in Panama?

Thanks

Norm808