Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gfunk1127

Single Barrel System

106 posts in this topic

It is a nice looking system you have running right now.. congrats I like the look of it.

Thanks guys!

I like updating, it also gives me a good timeline to look back on!

Matt, good luck with your system. Can't wait to see your updates as well!

hello, gfunk1127,

If you need more siphon problem, you may take a visit to

http://twaquaponics.blogspot.com/2011/09/e.html

http://twaquaponics.blogspot.com/2011/09/d.html

http://twaquaponics.blogspot.com/2011/09/c.html

http://twaquaponics.blogspot.com/2011/09/b.html

http://twaquaponics.blogspot.com/2011/09/a.html

It includes the simple siphon, automatic siphon, balance, double automatic siphon, with siphon to erase the float trash, use siphon to cover the noise of pump, external siphon without making hole for your barrel, external siphon to cover more than 10 pcs of barrel together, etc.

If you still have any question, you may leave message there. They are "powerless Siphon lover"

Hey sunnyarky,

Thanks for the links. I have looked at several ways of doing the siphon including some you have linked to. While I don't have any problems with mine currently I'll keep your suggestions handy just in case. Who knows, I may even utilize some of those in the future. Thanks!

So I decided to plant 2 kernels of corn for giggles around the 20th or so. Well I went out of town on the 25th and when I got back on the 27th I saw this!

IMAG0111.jpg

Then I went to bed, woke up went to class, and when I came home I saw this! This is ONE days worth of growth. Grow corn grow!!

IMAG0113.jpg

My lettuce is doing well. The 3 remaining lettuce sprouts have a third piece of growth on them and this excites me. Hopefully I'll have lettuce in a couple of months or so.

IMAG0112.jpg

I have to now figure some way to make a mini greenhouse for the colder months.

Sorry for its sidewayness. I am in the process of editing the video so you don't have to crane your necks to watch it.

Until the next one!

Everything is looking great. Thanks for keep everyone updated. :)

Soon your growbed will look like mine..LOL just a jungle..:)

Well, I am hoping our cold weather doesn't halt my growth. Our temps are only reaching into the 60's currently and we are seeing lows in the upper 30s. It will only get cooler. I'm still thinking about either making a small greenhouse-type structure on top of the GB or just draping the entire screened in porch in clear plastic.

So, yeah. The cold weather did a doozie on the plants. I'll take a picture and place it up later. We had a cold snap and all the plants except the lettuce plants look like drippy wax. Very Sad. I will be more prepared next year.

FISH! I decided to purchase some fingerlings today. I am introducing 5 Redeye type of Bream and 5 Bluegill. Bought them from a local fish supplier. Foster Lake and Pond Management Even though I only bought 10 fish they treated me wonderfully.

They are currently being floated and in 15 minutes I'll release them into the system. This is very exciting for me as I am doing this for food! And transitioning into what I would classify as a fully working system. I will take some pictures of what their progress is every now and then.

I went strolling through my local big box store and found some really nifty LED strips. I am going to mount one under my GB to illuminate my FT at night. Maybe I can entice some bugs to fall into the water to feed my fish for free!

hmmm-.. broccoli is a good idea .. im tearing down my plants as they are at the end of their cycle ...

unfortunately my veranda, and thus my BG is on a totally sunless side of the building ...

Would brocoli still grow and form the broccoli flower ?

-vidar-

I started making my swirl filter today.

I picked up a 5 gallon water jug and some plumbing. Now I have to cut out the top of the jug because I want to place a raft there and utilize the space for a plant or two.

DSCN7329.JPG

I made a very crude stand with the free wood I had sitting at home.

DSCN7330.JPG

DSCN7331.JPG

I cut the hole in the top. I got to use the circular dremel tool that I have never used before! I was excited.

DSCN7332.JPG

From there I cut a hole in the side on the top where I will get the cleaner filtered water.

DSCN7333.JPG

I tested the ball valve out and I didn't see any leak and it flowed nicely! Next is to plum the input from the downspout grow bed I'm making for my strawberries. I am going to plant a couple of flowers that repel insects on a small raft in the top of the swirl filter.

DSCN7334.JPG

DSCN7335.JPG

Cute little swirl filter you have there. As the solids go into the swirl filter this isn't a good place for plants to be as solids may collect on the roots and kill the plants you place in there to grow as will as the floating raft may disrupt the swirl of the filter..

Why thank you! I have been reading up on those filters due to my system becoming pretty brackish since I introduced my new fish. In my reading I found one person who suggested a cone bottom to it to allow for easier collections of solids at the bottom. Gonna see if it works!

My other project I started was the stand for the gutter grow bed. When it gets finished, I'll have my water from the fish tank pumped to the gutter and it will then water the strawberries or lettuce and make its way to the swirl filter and end up dumping back into the grow bed hopefully a bit more cleaner.

IMAG0379.jpg

It really isn't easy to see now, but I can see it in my head. I hope to finish this in the next week or so.

Then...time to build the raised garden.

I took a trip to the local nursery today. I picked up some good things and signed up for a good thing. I signed up for the program Plant a Row for The Hungry. http://gardensgardens.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/plant-a-row-for-the-hungry-raleigh-north-carolina/ I think for my row I am going to plant yellow squash. It will feel good to do something nice for others. Plus, you get a tax break! I met a lady today who donated over 1000 lbs. of food, and has plans to expand her garden.

Well I picked up some plants. I have Romaine Lettuce, Head Lettuce, Broccoli, Carrots, Celery and Mint.

DSCN7343.JPG

In the aquaponic growbed I transplanted Celery, Broccoli, Romaine and Head Lettuce. In that order from the left.

OH MAN! Doesn't it look better with bigger veggies in it?!? Even though they are just transplants?

Tomorrow, I finally put together the raised bed (I know, I know). I have been slack on getting it together. I have decided not to stain it, but I will be putting in some posts so I can put up a small greenhouse over the cooler months. Once that is done I fill it up with soil and plant, plant, plant!

Additionally, the strawberries I purchased have been planted in a little row planter. I can't wait to see if they will grow.

I signed up for the program Plant a Row for The Hungry. http://gardensgardens.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/plant-a-row-for-the-hungry-raleigh-north-carolina/ I think for my row I am going to plant yellow squash. It will feel good to do something nice for others. Plus, you get a tax break! I met a lady today who donated over 1000 lbs. of food, and has plans to expand her garden.

Looking great mate.

I think those local community food programs are a worthy event to be involved in. I know many of my friends contribute excess food stuffs grown at home to local food banks and community groups.

If people have plans to feed the world, home gardens, aquaponic or otherwise fit the bill really well. Charity starts at home yeah?

I have added the Swirl filter and the water trough! I now just have to fill it with plants and get it more stabilized!

It is currently on a 14:30 second cycle, but I will shorten that as I have to shorten my stand pipe another 1/2 inch or so.

The swirl filter seems to be doing its job so far. I will just wait a week to see what it gathers.