Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gfunk1127

Single Barrel System

106 posts in this topic

Yes, a more elaborate design than what space I have for.

Thanks!

If all goes well, when I get a bigger house with more land I am going to IBC the whole thing!

I do believe I would like to use some fish native to my state in my system so I know it will be acclamated to the water temperatures we have here.

What state are you in? If state laws allow you to have them tilapia are a great choice. They're very hardy. They can take a wide range of temperatures. As long as temps don't get below 50 degrees fahrenheit they'll do just fine. Some breeders offer all male tilapia in a batch, which is a loophole for some places that don't allow tilapia. I'm partial to tilapia just because they grow so fast and are so hardy. There are a lot of freshwater fish that'll do great in an aquaponic system.

I am in North Carolina. I will look at the regulation. I was just thinking blue gill and sunfish due to them being native to the state and their easiness of catching. I also have heard of others' worry about bringing in disease from caught fish subjects.

I do like tilapia as a food source and their hardiness as reported by lots of others. I just don't know how cool my water in the tank will get on the back porch. I do plan on investing in a digital thermometer and heater of some sort.

Yeah thanks! That is one of the first places I had looked for fish suppliers. I just think they need a more user friendly way of getting around it...or it could just be me.

Species: black crappie, bluegill & hybrid bluegill, bream, blue tilapia, channel catfish, fathead minnow, triploid grasscarp, hybrid striped bass, large-mouth bass, redear(shellcracker)

I think I'll stick to the smaller breed fish with the limitations of a 55gal. drum.

The bonus of going with something native is that you know they'll be fine in the climate. A lot less regulation, as well. I would purchase the fish from a reputable dealer just because of that chance of introducing a disease from caught fish. If it weren't for that then catching your own would be a great excuse to get a lot of fishing done.

The bonus of going with something native is that you know they'll be fine in the climate. A lot less regulation, as well. I would purchase the fish from a reputable dealer just because of that chance of introducing a disease from caught fish. If it weren't for that then catching your own would be a great excuse to get a lot of fishing done.

I do love me some fishin! I have harvested enough rain in one hour from hurricane Irene to fill my system to where I need it to be.

I got home this morning and to my surprise I found 4 total sprouts! The chive plant I put in there is doing well and the young tomato plant hasn't yet taken off but it is looking good as well.

Gfunk1127

Glad to see you system is coming along.. congrats :)

Thank you! I just added 10 goldfish into the system today. Up next I'll be buying a digital thermo/heater for the fishtank, as well as a light!

I used my maglight to see the bottom and I have some sand collected at the bottom. I am going to rig up a water vacuum and suck the stuff out of it.

Lost one last night :(

I think I'll get the pH meter this week. I know the electric thermometer/heater will come in after the 9th. The goldfish are staying at the bottom of the barrel mostly.

Sorry to hear you lost a fish.. always a perplexing issue. Worrying about temp and heating does need to be at the top of the list right now. But you are right the PH would be an issue for sure. I lost a fish the other day too, and still really don't know why. But the rain did give me a few problems for sure. It did disturb bacteria and sent them in to shock, then my PH was bouncing up and down for a few days.. really hate typhoons. But it is all part of the game my friend.

Well I lost the second fish yesterday. Oh well. I do have very clear water to report and the goldfish are swimming around more and are feeding. They aren't yet coming to the surface but the are eating when the food falls to the bottom. I have uploaded a video of the new growth I found here

IMAG0037.jpg

I finished my first test of the water.

The 7.5pH is right where the goldfish like it (that is what the pamphlet said.)

Ammonia 2.0 ppm

Nitrite 0.25ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

I have also noticed in my GB another sprout! I still don't know what kind it is because it doesn't smell like a tomato or basil. I think it may be a green bell pepper because that is the only other seed I can remember throwing in there. I think I'm going to try to plant some lettuce and broccoli.

Until next time!

Looks like your system is starting to cycle... This is good, But you need to remember The PH is good right now, for bacteria and fish, BUT! it isn't very good for plants. Plants like a lower PH than fish. So you need to strike some kind of a balance between fish and plants. When your PH reaches 7.6 you are at what is called nutrient lock out. So no matter how much nitrate you have your plants can't use it. The idea PH is 6.8, However to date the best I can get is 7.2 but it seems to work OK at that range as well.

Don't worry when you see you ammonia keep going up it should get to something like 4.0 and stay there for a few days then start dropping as the nitrites begin to rise to 2.0 then they well start to drop and the nitrates will begin to rise at that point you have cycled. then it is how many plants you have in your system to what your nitrates level will be.

Not yet, wait for your system to cycle first.. this is the most important issue right now.. once you system has cycled your PH should start to drift down naturally bacteria produces acid as its waste, which will start to lower your PH. don't mess with the balance of your system just yet.. let it work it self out naturally.. for right now.

Once you have completed this step then you have the long wait of grow-bed maturing now that is when you system well become very productive..:) Funny not body talks about that part..

Well, you can grow plants during the maturing and they will do okay. You may have some nutrient deficiency which will need to be addressed. Which most will recommend that you get Maxicrop plus Iron, which will help out with that issue. But maturing takes 12 months or more. after that smooth sailing.. As I can't get Seaweed extra here in Taiwan, I had to go another route. Which isn't something I wouldn't suggest to anyone, Unless they really knew there stuff when it came to Aquarium products and understood the additives that were being used. But I buy trace elements for plants from the aquarium shop, but some of them can't be used and some can. this is the part where you need to research all the ingredients and know what is safe for humans and what is not.. So you are way better off just using maxicrop..

I have brought some pics and an update.

IMAG0058.jpg

New Lettuce sprouts. Iceberg here...

IMAG0066.jpg

Salad Lettuce here...

IMAG0067.jpg

Video Here:

Glad to see you are having fun, I think it is a lot of fun just watching my system doing its job. Always feel so relaxed just listening to the water run..

Isn't it though?!? I saw the sprouts and really was giddy!!!

I next need to make a small 2.5x2.5 foot green house to protect them from the cold cold weather. I am also going to make a skirt to go around the bottom of the GB so I can shield out some of the cold wind as well. Plus, with a skirt it may make it look nicer too. Just don't know yet.