Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vihalvor

Vidar's system log

174 posts in this topic

.. so .. i had my first fish death today... noticed the smallest of my Koi's had died..... for some reason it looked as if the koi had lost the scales on the back part of its body.. could the tilapias be aggressive and pick at it , thus stressing it to death ???

Vidar, from what I have read tilapia do establish a pecking order and are more aggressive when they're younger. I don't have ANY first hand experience though. How are the sitaos doing? Are you going to run the beans along a trellis? BTW, congrats on the system!!! Looks great!!!

Vidar, from what I have read tilapia do establish a pecking order and are more aggressive when they're younger. I don't have ANY first hand experience though. How are the sitaos doing? Are you going to run the beans along a trellis? BTW, congrats on the system!!! Looks great!!!

.. well.. i dont kow about that in tilapia.. but.. the other kois outstrip the tilapias 5-7x .. so .. the tilapia need BALLS to take them on :P ... hehe

the sitao and kangkong are doing well.. the lettuces... not at all .. i think i found the reason today.. i got peeed that they really havent grown at ALL the last 2 weeks, to i uprooted 5 from different locations... ALL of them .. had NO root branches.. just one long single root stem.. not the slightest trace of root branches.. i guess thats what i get from seeding directly into the GB ..

The next trials will be nursery grown lettuces with developed stems, then transferred to GB when they have developed stems.....

Well, I sow seed both ways from the nursery and directly to the bed both work just fine for me. I have never seen a single except for one plant, but that was a white radish.

Well, I sow seed both ways from the nursery and directly to the bed both work just fine for me. I have never seen a single except for one plant, but that was a white radish.

well... i dont know what else it can be ... 0 growth now for 2 weeks .... 0 !!! ... anyone else have an idea ?

So what are to readings in your system? As your system is just starting you will have better luck with nursery plants I think. I know when I first started my system, that is what I did for no reason, started planting straight to the growbed just because I was lazy and no time to go to the nursery to buy plants, be sure that your plants are getting enough light too.

Sometime I have plants start of well then slow or stall for a while then they take off, don't why but it does happen.

the readings now are PH 6,8, Nitrate 10, nitrite 1 ( or vice versa ) .. and ammonia 0,25 i believe ... so it SHOULDNT be too bad....

but.. ill see...

Introduced some 50 worms today.. my cavite family brought a bucketfull.. unfortunately.. they had been dug up yesterday, and sorta stamped into a bin.. the 50 i introduced where the only ones of maybe 300 that survived.... but at least i know there are live worms there now... dropped 3-4 into the fishtank.. the fish, kois especially, had a ball .. all the remaining 3 kois were swimming happily around with a large worm sticking out of their mouth :P .. the tilapia fingerlings were on the other worms as piranhas.. :P ....

Other notable changes... built a new shelf for my filtration, didint like it was sitting right on the LID of the fishtank... also sawed out a smaller , more manageable lid in the main lid of the fishtank, now about 1/4 of the full size, and fitted a mosquito net over, in case the fish decides to start jumping.. think i read somewhere the tilapia can be prone to accidentally jumping out of the tank... no chance for that now..

The Cavite family came by ( with the worms) and are loving the setup ... will make a full setup for them over new year.

Also - sent " barrelponics" manual and some general information to a some professors of mine, and a friend in the government here... all of them are seriously impressed by the simplicity and the eco friendliness of it. One of my professors are building a trial system with an army(senior officer) buddy if his over new year, as trials for commercial growing.. have told them to take it easy as not to get in too deep only to see it falter... cost of electricity is a MAJOR cost constraint here...

Told them in VERY clear words that i am no expert, far from it, and that in fact i have problems myself.. i believe they are following several forums on AP now, to learn as much as they can...

A government buddy of mine is also asking me to help him set up a backyard system with him, so his kids can see and learn from the "natural recirculative process"...

And lastly... a Classmate of mine who are into feeds, are , thanks to the information on moringa, BSF and others, looking into using BSF and moringa as complimenting feedstuff to decrease cost while retaining protein and overall quality in their feeds... ive told him to be careful, but feel free to experiment... if nothing else, there will be data to suggest maximal usability from the experiments....

So all in all.. im spreading the concept, and people seem to catch on..

Hi Vihalvor,

.. so .. i had my first fish death today... noticed the smallest of my Koi's had died..... for some reason it looked as if the koi had lost the scales on the back part of its body.. could the tilapias be aggressive and pick at it , thus stressing it to death ???

I have had Koi and Tilapia together for quite some time - they do great together. I believe I recently read DaveOponics say that he also had the two species living together peacefully. They are as compatible as it gets I think. That said, if any fish becomes sick or even behaves the slightest bit different, any species will begin picking away at it. For me it's the other way around - I've never lost a Koi, though cycling (I've never tried fishless cycling) or disease. Though pretty tough, the Tilapia have been less tolerant than the Koi. I am a little concerned about this Koi/Carp disease (KHV) going around. It's all over Europe, it's been found in the States, as well as here in Asia.

I'd love to sell some of my Koi, now that they are getting big and thick. Unfortunately, I bought a large quantity of the "less attractive" variety because I was looking to establish the pond and then recently, the AP setup. Had I bought the pretty Koi, I'd have a nice little investment going! Now I have too many kilos of Koi for the pond to support - have to find a nice home for them.

Cheers

" less attractive." ? .. hmm . maybe i should find some small ones of the REALLY pretty ones and breed them.. ive hears 2-3 kilo kois go for 15-20.000 peso here ....:P .. but focus is on tilapia.. gotta feed the family.. heheheh

Yes, the color pattern is the big factor in their price. My guys were the cheap ones - sort of bland in color. They've been great - done everything I asked them to.

I feel the same way about Tilapia. My family goes through a lot of them. I need to find a home for the Koi so I can throw Tilapia in the tanks - Got a new batch of fingerlings growing up quickly.

Cheers

Question.....i need some help to in theory set up a system, with basis on electricity consumption....

If i have 1 kwh, or 1000watt available ..optimize for best sustainable operations... what size and equipment would you suggest i get for the system ?

the reason why i ask is that i have a friend who is interested, but who wants to limit the power consumption to 1 kwh ( which he will "cut" from one of his other closing projects....)

ok... have been a while since i updated my log here.

The fish are growing and thriving...

I had a mishap and my small airpump went to its forefathers in the heaven of airpumps, and i ended up spending 1900 peso (42USDD) on a 20LPM hailea pump with 6 outlets.. absolutely fantastic... my fish seems to love it also ..

The plants is a whole different story.. all the KangKong seems to have stopped their development, far from the results our member in CEBU have, even though my KangKong now is near 3 weeks old....

The Sitao and the tomato Bellpepper seems to grow nicely, i also have a cucumber recently replanted, and it seems to have made transition well .. What i DID notice today was a small area on the edge of a leaf ( cucumber) was a small uneven spot of gray/white ... not sure if that has any meaning... i also note other plants are starting to have withering colors on some of their leafs...

I have torn out ALL the lettuces... they simply refuse to grow... even the few thats uniquely in my HP setup AND the ones in soil are refusing to grow... im guessing its the heat ... growing in the veranda at 25th floow in manila/makati is probably not the best spot in terms of heat...

So im gonna focus on stuff i KNOW take the heat... Tomato, Sitao, cucumber...i have a chili plant coming up ( 3 actually...), and i see a small beginning from an eggplant coming in the "nursery" ...

All measurements a 0, the PH was 6.0, so i put in a sock of shells to slowly increase PH to 6.8 ....ill give it a few days and see ....

any feedback or advice is very appreciated....

Ok .. so .. update.. its been a while since i updated here, and my plants have grown nicely since last ... most of the kangkong i had to throw, they didn't seem to like it much.. some however... did.. but they're thin and stringy.. not like the member in Cebu's . i think its because it really don't get ANY direct sun...

while my tomato plant is gaining.. it seems to be attacked by.. something.. i have enclosed pics here, and hope you guys can help me figure out whats eating it...

2011-11-29+16.39.11.jpg

-

2011-11-29+16.39.29.jpg

-

2011-11-29+16.40.43.jpg

Picture is kind of fuzzy, looks like those white aphids I have to deal with.. always kills everything. You have to remember that a growbed has to mature before it really start to work well.. so it all just takes time my friend :)

oohh. aphids... thats not good.. is it ? .. not something i can do away with using garlic/chili spray, eh?

-vidar-

edit: i had a check on aphids on google.. and.. theres no insects in the GB except that of some small ants... the small marks looks more as if the leaves are being eaten from within......

edit 2: .. could it be mildew ? ... other members please chip in....

Edited by vihalvor (see edit history)

The Chili spray gets them to leave but they come back after a few days, What I think the mildew looking stuff is eggs of some kind.. first I see the aphids them those show up.. then before long the plants start dying.. they killed my tomato plants and my egg plants. They also tried to kill my Kangkong but couldn't do it.. So I shifted what I was growing for a while planting stuff they don't seem to like.. yet.

it is kinda hard to see in your pic's... but the white spots could be powdery mildew..you can use a milk and water spray on that.. 1 cup milk (whole milk) to 9 cups water..

could be "leaf miners" on the bottom pic, but they usually leave a pretty defined path..

okey .. i tried water and baking powder yesterday on selected leafs.. will see how that works, then try milk on selected other leafs...

thanks for the tip :)

well.. its been a while since i posted... really have been so busy with real life that my little system has had to run itself ...

Im feeding the tilapia a mix of koi food and poultry growers food, so they get a nice balance of fatty feed and proteinrich feed. ...

The "garden" is starting to wither a bit, i think its because i have , as an experiment, let it grow wildly, and now nature is killing off what doesent have the right of life.... im considering ripping out whats left , cucumber, that wont grow well, and Pole bean(sitao) that i dont eat anyway), to make room for a new experiment - chinese cabbage, with the help of a sun-mirror on the opposite wall( where i DO get some sun, 30 min per day) ..

Another happy news is that my 7 tilapia ... have reached sexual maturity... my wife suddenly called me "iiiik - you have worms in your tank! .... no .. way.. they have eyes... aaaahh. we're grandparents!!! " :-) ...

ill let nature take its way there too ... i dont have the resources to handle fry :P .. maybe stick down a little grid or something so the fry can hide within.....

Congratulations! :-)

My experience with tilapia fry is that they are very robust. I even tried transferring them to a different tank without aclimatization, so far almost all of them are still alive. 50 all in all.

yeah.. ill see how they all turn out... do i buy this brine shrimp for their feed, or ... how does that work ? ... ive thought of getting one of these fry-pens.. or whatever theyre called ....a floating small cage that sites in the main tank, so that fry doesent get separated from the other fish...

any idea on that ?

ehhh... well .. i noticed today that one of the tilapias are " chewing" on one of the internal filters i have .. .a vertical cylinder i have filled with netting scrubs .. you know.. the ball of plastic netting your wife like to buy for the showers... i have a bout 7 of them in a thin plastic culinder, with ait at the bottom, thus giving airlift... the top has some of the netting sticking out, and i notice one of the tilapia were kissing it continously... my theory is that either theres some algae it wants there, or.. its trying to spit out some frys into it. I therefore took out the top netting, hung it on a floater, somewhat near to where the recirculated water comes down. This to ensure frys will always have a good amount of fresh aerated water ....

From thereon .. i have NO idea what to do :P ..

Thinking of buying a floating cage for the frys to stay, sheltered from the adults ... but im not sure what food to buy.. i know frys can survive a while on their own,.. but not for long...

should i buy some brine shrimp `?

any update on your system sir? been a while now :) but i have enjoyed reading the entire thread :D