Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vihalvor

Vidar's system log

174 posts in this topic

Ok lads and ladies... ill be posting my log here along with questions i have.. hope ppl can offer some fine feedback ( of course you can.. hehehe )

so.. i have this micro setup:

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

Its doing well,.. sorta... the AM, Nitrate and nitrite are stable, but kind of on the higher side, with normal test results as follows:

PH 6,8

Nitrite: 5,0

Ammonia: 2,0

Nitrate: 10 ...

I have one set filled with Sweet Basil, whom have had a great run.... now they are starting to wain and get small discoloration.. im assuming thats due to old age...

whats more worrying is that the new lettuces i transplanted, are also having lighter spots of green in their leaves....

so... question is.. how come theres discoloration ? .. what can i do ?

I heard somewhere it could be due to iron deficiency, so ive had a few tablets of iron into it ... not sure if that will help.....

Edited by vihalvor
entered extra picture (see edit history)

I am also interested in the iron pill idea, so let me know how it works out.. as your PH is low, it does appear to be a deficiency problem. But most young systems have this issue.

Hi vihalvor,

I'm assuming that you have fish in the system.

• Cut back on your feeding - allow the ammonia level to drop to 0 or thereabouts.
  • Add salt at around 1 - 2ppt - this will help to address any stress arising out of your nitrite levels.
  • Boost your air

Gary

more ait ... already have 1dual aerator, and one single aerator there = 3 airstones ...

feeding .. yeah .. will do that .. have a nagging feeling the wifey gave gone "oooohhh... but hes so hungry looking!! without me presence :P ...

salt ... had half a teaspoon in it a while back ....how much d\should i put in in a 55l tank ?

I heard somewhere it could be due to iron deficiency, so ive had a few tablets of iron into it ... not sure if that will help.....

Hi Vihalvor,

What sort of iron tablets are you using?

Haha! Use Stresstabs, multivitamins + iron. If it's good for you, it may be good for the plants too:)

yeah.. hehe i have some ... centrums lying about .. might drop them in .. i DONT think they can harm anything.. heheheh..

Truth be told.. im playing with the thought of redoing the whole system, when i come backfrom my norway vacation in September.. there are always some sale at the hardware store, so im thinking of getting a 200 Liter tub, reinforce it with some chicken wire and black ducktape, and redesigning the 2 round towers to 4 square vertical towers.. if only i can find the correct supplier.... Do you know of anyone selling square rain-downfall drain pipes anywhere near ? ...

Check Ortigas home depo. The nearest I can give you where there is a sure stock of the pipes is in ACE SM Pampanga, 2 hrs from manila. Why not use horizontal round pipes (cut to the length that will fit your space), just like NFT, mounted stacked on your wall in a zigzag pattern, and save you the trouble of looking for parts that are hard to find? Vertical towers tend to clog easily.

well... i have round ones already.. and they arent space efficient ...

If ACE SM Pampanga have those, then the local ace should be able to get them ... ill check with the one here in makati....

As for clogging, i dont have that problem at all ... i threw a rough sift in the bottom of the pipes, so no stones could get into it... works like a charm :D ... if at all that would become a problem, il simply change to a bigger outlet... but the sift really makes a difference...

For the squared ones, ill make a bulkhead fitting with a sift or any other preventive measure... should stay unclogged for the next year i need it to ... heheheh...

ACE Pampanga is different, It's ACE builders, a branch of ACE that is like Home Depo style setup. Its different from the ACE here in Manila. The design is really up to you, but base on the availability of supplies here, sometimes I just look for the next best thing. Goodluck on finding the pipes;).

hehe. yeah i know.. i just HATE not to get what i want.. hehehehehh..

I might end up with the same old round ones.. will go to ortigas.. probly on wednesday.. only an MRT ride away anyhow...

thanks... Will let you all know the result of my findings.. heheehhe

OK .. todays reading are

PH6,8 .. thats not too half ass bad, ive read.... so im gonna keep it there....

Nitrite NO3 - Still at 10 ...

Ammonia 1,0

Nitrate No2 5,0 ..

So its pretty much the same... im guessing my new plants arent really soaking up much to make much of an impact yet.. so im dieting the koi a few days, and adding half a spoon of salt to help in the nitrification.... i have a 55L tank .. maybe i should put more salt into it ????

humm... i just read on another AP forum (backyard AP )about someone using 1g salt per liter of water to battle nitrite.... can anyone help me as to how much i should put in my 55 L tank ? ... i dont wanna kill off anything.. 50G seems ... much ....

yeah i actually emailed them... no answer thou... ill try again.. heheh

btw ... havent seen you much on the forum .. i see youre in manila as both me and Madodel are... what city in manila are you from ? ( makati here )

I'm not proficient in metrics but 1mg/l is 1 ppm, 1g/l sounds like a bunch of salt, I think you're shooting for 2-3 ppt, not ppm.

Salt won't affect nitrites, but helps the fish better deal with them.

ah.. ok ... my koi is a tough puppy, so i might ease up on the saltiness then :D

but... what WOULD help with nitrites ?

im reading on PUGO's system .. my PH is 6.8 .. should i aim to increase it to 7.0 or even higher for the benefits of the plants ? .. if so .. how ?...vinegar ???

No, your PH is perfect. It is really just where I would like mine to be..I am only using vinegar as I don't really have anything else to use right now. As soon as I find some acid I will use that instead..

think pugo is right, your PH seems fine, however if you were tying to get from 6.8 to 7 you would need to add a base not an acid as an acid would lower your PH.

Fish and plants live at optimal pH levels. For fish, this would be around a pH of 6.5 to 8.0 and for plants, around a pH of 4.5 to 6.5. Therefore, Aquaponic systems are a compromise between the pH requirements of the fish, and those of the plants. The best pH to run at is around 6.7 to 6.9. This is O.K. for the fish (as it protects against ammonia toxicity), and is O.K. for the plants (as it allows them to uptake the nutrients they require for growth).

Edited by kellenw
url removed (see edit history)

OK ... so i figured my small fish tank could have been a part of the measurement issues i had... and... i really wanted a GB system rather than the vertical towers... so .. as i bought the wife a Wii game system, i argumented i could go spend 50 $ ( 2000 peso ) on some noew playtoy for me .... i..e .. new tank and stuff...

so i tripled the Liters from 55 to 165, and poured up 40 liter of GB to suit.... since its still a small GB, i didnt expand the amount of fish... i have the 1 feeder/poopoer machine ( koi), until i can find a better way to increase # of GB ...

the new Fishtank.. securely fixed with black duct tape to shut out sunlight...

IMG_2715.JPG

The Finished GB , with drainage and pebble-filter...

IMG_2716.JPG

GB with the old basils already fitted... they LOVE their new home...the square markings you see on the FT is the feeding hatch i cut out for the koi... it needs foor too every now and then... hehe.. and its an easy way to get water for the tests from ....

Its also fitted with perforated pipes, as you might be able to see in the GB .. the water is squirting in the picture....

IMG_2717.JPG

And the new recruits for the new growbed.... some 20 assorted lettuces... to be transplanted end of next week.....

IMG_2718.JPG