Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dealman

AP newbie in the Midwest

11 posts in this topic

:o

Happy to have found AquaponicsHQ

In the last couple weeks have a 40 Gallon Aquarium with 40 feeder GOLDFISH, pumping to TWO 35 Gallon floating raft grow beds. Soon hope ad a BIO sediment bin, some vermiculture and a 4 row NFT, all for veggies. All setup in storage area of our laundry room in the basement with 4 grow lights.

Hopefully it will expand from their.

Any tips on siphons that do not require drilling containers would be great, as I am currently pumping up to grow beds and siphoning back down to aquarium.

:o

Happy to have found AquaponicsHQ

In the last couple weeks have a 40 Gallon Aquarium with 40 feeder GOLDFISH, pumping to TWO 35 Gallon floating raft grow beds. Soon hope ad a BIO sediment bin, some vermiculture and a 4 row NFT, all for veggies. All setup in storage area of our laundry room in the basement with 4 grow lights.

Hopefully it will expand from their.

Any tips on siphons that do not require drilling containers would be great, as I am currently pumping up to grow beds and siphoning back down to aquarium.

Dealman,

Welcom. You sound like you are well on yhour way! I myself started with a basic circulating set up that worked, added rafts but am still in the process of getting plants planted in my raft even though I have the fish already. The most critical part for the fish is enough air and food. If the wastes arent able to be processed by the biofilter and the plant beds, you can always change some of the water. In my case water is not a problem as I have a well. I experimented on an airlift filter that works so well that I need to now build a bigger settling filter plus bio filter. This way I can just open a spigot to drain off the sludge and wastes. I am currently working on building the big filter.

So you see you don't really need to have all the things worked out perfectly to get started. I find that I am constantly tweaking, adding components, adjusting food etc...thats the fun of it!

Kingjam

overflow.jpg

Adjust your water level by adjusting the height of the tee.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I could be very wrong, and hope i am but my understanding of siphons was that to start them the water must rise to the point which it stops air entering. If your line goes above the top of the tank this can't happen. The most basic example being a loop siphon, but the highest point on that must be the top of the loop, which ever way my mind tries to figure it out i can't see how water can naturally rise above the height of the tank to start the siphon off with out getting the floor wet. Cedar, could you explain how the diagram you have drawn would work if the thank ends before the top U turn.

Hello Dealman,

Welcome to APHQ! Great to see another Missourian join. There are actually quite a few active folks on the forum who live here in the Show Me State, so you should be able to gain some solid advice pertaining to our locale.

Again, welcome aboard, and let us know if you have any questions. We're a helpful bunch! :-)

I could be very wrong, and hope i am but my understanding of siphons was that to start them the water must rise to the point which it stops air entering. If your line goes above the top of the tank this can't happen. The most basic example being a loop siphon, but the highest point on that must be the top of the loop, which ever way my mind tries to figure it out i can't see how water can naturally rise above the height of the tank to start the siphon off with out getting the floor wet. Cedar, could you explain how the diagram you have drawn would work if the thank ends before the top U turn.

It's a simple overflow syphon. I guess I should have mentioned that you need to remove all air from the top loop. Some folks shove air tubing into the loop and suck the air out, I just dunk the whole thing in my fish tank and tip it around to remove any air. Once the air is out water will be held in the top loop by a vacuum, and the water in the fish tank will seek to equal the level of the bottom of the tee.

Wow thanks for all the tips, very excited about getting everything running smoothly...The wife just wants to know when we can start eating the veggies...hehehe

Cedarswamp thanks for the picture and description, that really helps...Since I have 2 separate side by side containers with the floating veggie rafts, can I just T the two together and then put the loop in to go done to the aquarium or do I need to make 2 separate pipes, also how do I keep the water level balanced between the 2 veggie tanks. Trying to do all this without making holes in the containers and just go over the top without having water spill on the floor. Cedarswamp I also like your idea about sticking the air tube up their to get the air out, at this point I had to get a mouthfull of water to start the siphon.

Wow thanks for all the tips, very excited about getting everything running smoothly...The wife just wants to know when we can start eating the veggies...hehehe

Cedarswamp thanks for the picture and description, that really helps...Since I have 2 separate side by side containers with the floating veggie rafts, can I just T the two together and then put the loop in to go done to the aquarium or do I need to make 2 separate pipes, also how do I keep the water level balanced between the 2 veggie tanks. Trying to do all this without making holes in the containers and just go over the top without having water spill on the floor. Cedarswamp I also like your idea about sticking the air tube up their to get the air out, at this point I had to get a mouthfull of water to start the siphon.

2 side by side tanks with the same water level you just use the top loop and both drops, the bottom loop and tee are unnecessary in that situation. The mouth full of water is why I don't do it that way, I prefer the fish effluent not wind up in my mouth. LOL