Tilhappia

Cheap tank sources

41 posts in this topic

Where can a person find a good cheap fish tank for Aquaponics. About 250 Gallons or so. I see no sources of food grade IBC's in my area. Also for grow beds.

Yeah get a 300gal rubbermaid stock tank. I've also looked at local feed stores, and they carry polyethylene tanks from 150-650 gals. You may end up paying a tad bit more, but polyethylene is awesome, all you gotta due is use a heat gun if you ever have to fix a crack :P But yeah bust wishes to you man.

Shoot you have it easy.. Every time I try to order something on the internet. I get sorry we don't ship to your area..

Edited by Pugo (see edit history)

*cry* The guys upstairs are mocking me .. im in the philippines, and right now a guy in my next county back home is GIVING away a BRAND new 11.000 liter plastic urethane ( or whatever its called) water storage tank ... and noone can pick it up for me .. whaaaaaaa ...:cry:

-vidar-

wxfreqrs likes this

OK I have a Tractor Supply near me that carries those. I was looking to do this as economically as possible, and got a little sticker shock from those Rubbermaid tanks, although they are nice. But if the Rubbermaid is all I can find I will do it. I had planned to follow the Aussie DIY plan with the addition of some sort of filter in front of the grow beds to keep them clean. I am also a believer in BIO-Wheels to get rid of ammonia and nitrite, I ran one for years in 2 - 55 gallon tanks slaved together. I need to work out a formula for size vs gallons on the homemade BIO-Wheel. I'm thinking of a 55 gallon drum for the sump. I will probably use Perlite or Lava to fill the grow beds. Any ideas on containers for the grow beds?

I have the perfect idea for grow beds, go to your local feed store or online and order feed trough beds. You can buy a 2ft by 8in by 8ft for 40 bucks! And it's polyethylene. Only thing is they have two drain holes, one at the bottom at each end, but all you have to do melt polyethelene pieces into the holes, or run your bulkhead fittings in :P

I have the perfect idea for grow beds, go to your local feed store or online and order feed trough beds. You can buy a 2ft by 8in by 8ft for 40 bucks! And it's polyethylene. Only thing is they have two drain holes, one at the bottom at each end, but all you have to do melt polyethelene pieces into the holes, or run your bulkhead fittings in :P

Hi, Mean and Green

I did a Google search for "feed trough bed" and was unable to come up with a product for purchase. Is there a more specific name for this or can you provide a hyperlink to a supplier. Thanks.

I've run a system using a couple of feed troughs as growbeds. It worked out pretty well all things considered.

Got it. Feed troughs. Thanks for the link. For a 300 gallon tank how many Tilapia can you have and how many square feet of 6" deep grow bed will it support, assuming you have the system cycled. I want to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, and melons as well as some leafy veggies, and have a near maximum fish load. The system will be in a temperature controlled greenhouse year round. And thanks for any ideas that reduce cost but still result in a working system.

For your fish tank, have you considered using an IBC instead? They're roughly 275 gallons. You can find them used and refurbished here:

http://www.usedibctotes.com/

They usually run between $100 and $300 for food grade.

(I can't answer your questions on stocking density or FT:GB ratio. I'll leave that to experts.)

do you want to try making your own? ive made tanks out of EPDM liner (LDPE or HDPE is food grade) and out of iso resin (food grade)

Yeah i'm pretty sure they are food grade! They are polyethylene so they should be :) but yeah I ran across some at a feedstore and I was like hey that would be a great growbed! And they are very modular

M&G - I'm in the Dallas area - found a guy that has food grade cageless IBC totes for 40$ each - you might want to consider that over the bunk feed liners as you could make two GB's as deep as you want (not that I'm any AP expert but I have read countless posts that 12" is the minimum recommended gb depth) - and when your cutting your own IBC totes you can easily go 18" and have two 4'x4' gb's - though full disclosure I would say that his totes all previously held corn syrup so cleaning that out on a hot summer day wasn't the funnest thing in the world >_< should have taken pictures of the big globs of clear sticky goop...

M&G - I'm in the Dallas area - found a guy that has food grade cageless IBC totes for 40$ each - you might want to consider that over the bunk feed liners as you could make two GB's as deep as you want (not that I'm any AP expert but I have read countless posts that 12" is the minimum recommended gb depth) - and when your cutting your own IBC totes you can easily go 18" and have two 4'x4' gb's - though full disclosure I would say that his totes all previously held corn syrup so cleaning that out on a hot summer day wasn't the funnest thing in the world >_< should have taken pictures of the big globs of clear sticky goop...

That is very reasonable. How many gallons are they, and could shipping for say, 5 of them be arranged to Jefferson City MO? I have no problem with the Goop as long as its food grade.

check craigslist in your area for IBC Totes, they come in (usually) 2 sizes, 275 gallon and 330 gallon..

try to make sure that whatever was in them was food safe.. i've read about some folks using totes that had contained detergent with no problems, but the final call is up to you..

i've seen them for anywhere from 20 to 150 online

Yeah i'd love to go up to dallas and pick them up, but i literally don't have any time to go get them. And freighting would cost an arm and a leg.

The only Craigslist posting regarding this in the last 3 months in my area has been for IBC's that contained dry cleaning chemicals. I feel I must construct this system of entirely food grade materials as I will eventually sell some of the fish to the general public. But I will keep watching Craigslist, its a super place to look for such things.

M&G, My meaning for food grade is a container that was previously approved by the USDA and used only for food. Ideally, what you suggested would be my first choice, if in budget.