Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vihalvor

Aquaponics not so easy ...

59 posts in this topic

Did you wash the gravel before you put it in your growbed?

If so why?

How many is still there(fish) off your original stock?

Cheers

Oh "no one" tried to incite a argument.

Vihalvor merly stated "AP not so easy"

hahaha ande did you miss my meaning or have you not read the transition of the thread?

No I didn't and I lost 3 fish within the first 24 hours none since

hahaha ande did you miss my meaning or have you not read the transition of the thread?

No I didn't and I lost 3 fish within the first 24 hours none since

No i didn't miss

I'm impressed 1000 l ibc tank yade perce lost 3 and started with?

cool on you

Still Vi halvor stated it's not "so easy" an it ain't.

How ever it's not that complicated either, just have to do "right"

Cheers

Why didn't you wash the grawel?

Aquaponics has been easy for me. And I stress the "for me" part. I've taken courses on the subject and have read into it in depth. I've also worked with several commercial sized raft bed systems. All the background I have in it means I've accumulated enough knowledge to where things make sense to me, which always makes things easier.

In my opinion, a well designed and maintained system will be a very easy system to run (if you know what you're doing). I believe solid removal is just a good idea and I'm a fan of system designs that allow solids to be flushed before being introduced to the hydroponic aspect of the system.

In example: the commercial raft bed systems I worked with were very easy to maintain and took very little effort to run. Flushing solids from the mineralization tanks and testing water quality were the most important aspects of maintenance. On the other hand, I've helped set up media bed systems based off the Murray Hallam design that did end up with anaerobic activity due to a heavy buildup of solids. And removing the media to clean out the bed is not very fun.

Solids will break down into ammonia and other minerals, but (as I understand it) the majority of the nutrient load is provided by fish urine and ammonia excreted from gills during respiration. Having a ton of solids in a system isn't necessarily a good thing.

My opinion is that it is easier to build a filter and a means of flushing/removing solids from the system than it is to put together a seemingly much more simple system that will end up needing more difficult maintenance down the road. And education in some form is key for the success of any aquaponic system. If a person learns, however they learn, about AP then running a system will seem like a breeze because it will be run correctly (stocking, maintenance, etc.).

Hi TA,

I agree with you......if you acquire the necessary knowledge and skills....and you build or buy a good system....then it will be easy.

The suggestion that it wasn't easy stems from the "just add water and shake" approach of some retailers who more concerned with making sales than meeting the expectations of customers.

Tell us more about the commercial systems you've worked on. The idea of going commercial appeals to a lot of people but, in Australia, most attempts at commercial system just haven't been viable.

Gary

Honestly, I did the research, I asked questions. Got expert advice from members of the forum and Gary of course. The system went together, the only problems I had were the availability of some items, I needed to get, 99% of that was worked out. but never did find ammonia, so I was forced to use feeder gold fish, So I used a couple hundred of them to cycle. and what? only three of them died and they were very small fish.

I have had no problems with the system, it started, it cycled, and is in the process of maturing now. Was it hard NO!! It was easy. Now if you don't do the research, and you don't listen to advice given to you. The problems you have are of your own making, So many members here have been doing this for years and there are many designs that work, some better than others:) there isn't just one way, but there are many ways that just don't work, and many times I see people asking the same question get the same advice, then disregard it, they prefer doing things the hard way.. I guess it is just human nature.. you have to put effort into something you want to do. Is Aquaponics as easy as turning on a light switch?

No. But if you have the knowledge it isn't that hard either..:)

I am finding aquaponics a lot easier since completing my RAS, having an effective filtration system that is easy to clean is the only way to go.

Joey

Aquaponics is easy, even the "just add water and shake" approach will work "IF" you commit to the added maintenance of cleaning out the growbeds occasionally. Me, I prefer "lazy" so shy away from the "just add water and shake" approach.:D

hey guys.,.. just logging in from my vacation... wow... my subject line really stirred up a little hornets nest.. however.. its VERY educational... and.. ill still maintain that AP is not EASY .. nothing worthwile is... :) ... but i love it !! :)