vihalvor

Idea for 1 hectare farm ...inputs needed

18 posts in this topic

Hello guys , girls and everything inbetween..

ok... so im eyeing this farm lot of 1 hectare outside Manila, to help my family become self sufficient....and as an experimental lot for future corporate farming...

My guy to take care of this is an electrician ( engineer without the title) , who also happens to be VERY interested in modern, sustainable farming.. So . im thinking as follows..

Since for us westerners , raw materials and workforce is pretty cheap in the philippines, i was thinking of light intial investments, but with significant returns..

a 30.000 litre fiberglass tank, about 1m x 3m, x 10 m ( about 10x10x90 ft ) ..

Which would then give atleast 30.000 litre growth area around ..

I have access to pumps and growth beds etc... im thinking 1 tank with duckweed, they grow in near stale waters as far as i understand, so i dont need to include it much in the growth bed calculations....

Then ...

15 growth beds for about 2000l capacity of growth media, about 30-40 cm deep, with the needed flood/drain systems, ( im thinking something close to a simple auto-siphoning system .. filled with a combo of coconut choir and expanded clay pellets. Ive heard that's an optimal mix ...

The fish will be tilapia, fed with shredded leaves / lettuce , duckweed , grubs ( from black soldier fly, should be plenty of them here in Philippines), and fish feed, but im considering if also crayfish would be doable as a combined species... they fetch a higher price in the market....

So .. so far.. how am i doing ?

( electricity, pumps etc are already considered) ...

-vidar-

Welcome to the Philippines! So how long have you been in the Philippines? I not sure about putting a farm in the middle of Typhoon central. Luzon is always the main island that get hit and is flooded a lot. I am not sure about feeding Tilapia shredded leaves but everything else sounded okay. I have never seen crawfish in the Philippines. I do love to eat them. Maybe that would be something new for Pinoy to enjoy.. great idea.

Hello and thanks for your reply. I was hoping to find filipinos here that knew the aquaphonics systems :)

Ive been living here for nearly 2 years now.. moved down 2 weeks after Ondoy... :P

Luzon doesent NEED to be the area where i end up getting some land, but im a bit too white, and a bit to cowardly to set up shop in mindanao :P .. those pesky "revolutionaries" just love a whimsy guy like me :P ...

have you got a setup of aquaponics, or are you perhaps running a small scale for you a/your farm ? .. if so, then id love to hear how youve set it up, or even see pictures of it.

I have plans and hopes to help the other local farmers see the use of this and help them become more financially stable, rather than how i see many are doing their farming to day .. sow, weed, pray ... :P

-vidar-

Honestly the NPA is not interested much in White guys. Which I am Kano to like you.. I'm married to a Filipina but I am working in Taiwan right now. After a lot of research I found a place in the Philippines where we can live happily that is Bacolod City, It is expanding fast. it is on the island of Nergros. Still very affordable for now. I am building a system here in Taiwan right now and planning an Aquaponics farm and Quail farm combo in the Bacolod city area.

I built my first house in Mindanao and lived there for 3 years, and never did I have a problem with NPA. My problem came from family and crabs. So I transferred to Bacolod city.

i was actually thinking about the abu sayaaf terrorist ... but you are corrrect about bacolod.. its a good area.... visited the city last year.. loved it :D will definitely look at it in the future :D

anyway.. it willl be interesting to see what we can do to plan systems that will work :)

ill be uploading drawings later on...

-vidar-

Abu sayaaf are in the far corner of Mindanao in a remote area, and generally not a issue for everyone in the northern half of Mindanao.. stay in the North and no problems, Go to the southern half of the island and anything could happen.

Hi,

.....filled with a combo of coconut choir and expanded clay pellets. Ive heard that's an optimal mix ...

Coco coir will suffice on its own and it should be very cheap (if not free) in places like the Philippines.

The fish will be tilapia, fed with shredded leaves / lettuce , duckweed , grubs ( from black soldier fly, should be plenty of them here in Philippines),......and fish feed.....

Tilapia need a balanced ration if they are to grow at the rate required for a commercial operation. While they will eat some of what you've mentioned, they will grow much slower than a properly formulated ration. I'm not even sure if tilapia will eat BSF larvae. If they do, the fat content may be an issue.

There are many of us that would like to find a substitute to commercial rations.....and one day we might.....but pellets are the way to go at this stage.

...a 30.000 litre fiberglass tank, about 1m x 3m, x 10 m ( about 10x10x90 ft ) ..

Have you considered using smaller tanks rather than one large one? A tank with a diameter of 90' is going to be an animal to harvest.....and what happens to the plants when you do harvest your one large tank.

I'd be using a number of smaller tanks so that you can stock different age groups for consistency of nutrient availability and strength. Managing fish in smaller tanks is also much easier and provides for more effective risk management.

Gary

Gary,

The smaller tank ideal is perfect, I have seen them in hatcheries in the Philippines. four tanks built together. So there is a big square divided into four smaller tanks, and I believe I saw a group of eight tanks divided into four smaller tanks. All about a meter deep. So that was 32 fish tanks. Far more than I would want to build.. I was thinking something like 16 smaller tanks..under a pole shed.

Gary .. you pose a VERY good argument i hadn't quite thought of.. risk diversification is something i SHOULD, as im currently studying this in finances... *slapping myself* ..

so .. if we discard the long tank idea .. and break it down to "islands" of fish/hydroponics, it should present us with a multitude of opportunities while reducing total failure probability... :) .. im learning quickly ..

I guess the increased cost in pumps and aerators easily outweigh the cost of total system failure ( another reference to lake taal problems :P .. for those who dont know what im talking about, just youtube or google Lake Taal Fishkill..)

Pugo .. your idea for a setup also sees sound to me .. im going to have a lot of fun planning this out... probly NOT so fun paying for it :P

Velkommen Vidar (Halvorsen?)

Nice to see a fellow Norwegian join the forum.

I noticed your conversion in this post 1m x 3m, x 10 m ( about 10x10x90 ft ) is probably confusing(wrong) for ouer US/UK members it should be

about 3x9x90 feet.

I have a posible Idea for a system or part off such for you. I'w woorked as a HSE (health safety environement) Officer offshore and then instructor onshore (last 25 yrs). Over the years I got my hands on a number off RFD's for free (RFD means Rescue Floating Device).

Last year I got 8 (6x 35 person and 2x 25person), they are scraped when ships or oilrigs are getting rebuildt/scraped or do to expiery date on the RFD it selfe.

There is numors differente manufacturs Viking most common in Norway but Firestone, Dunlope............ also common.

They are normaly stored in a fiberglass capsule (two halfs) so there you have to growbeds and a inflatebale raft (pool/pond) in one RFD.

The raft is made off the same material as rigid pond liner (EPDM) only armoured and double layer so it's much better(solid) than pondliners.

They have been stored dry in the capsule since manufacturing date only picked out and recertified ewery 2-3 year, so its actually brand new, by the time off scraping.

Here(Norway) it's fairly expencive to scrap them, so I'w got them transported for free to my house. You would have to contact someone within shiping/oil or safety training localy to get your hands on them.(And you have to be able to guaranty the RFD's get out off circulation)

Again welcome aboard

PAUL

PS http://www.vannihagen.no/forum/ er et norsk forum med gode DIY tegninger på filter/dam/etc

hey paul .. yes...im vidar halvorsen ( do you know me.. or .. me you ?? :P ) the idea with the RFDs are nice.. but im thinking actually here in the philipines where the idea is soon to settle down and enjoy a little less hectic day than corporate life back home requires :P .. hence the idea of corporate agriculture, aquaphonics.. fish primarily to sustain and aid the farmer who'll do the farming itself ( or farmers, depending on how big this ends up being ) ....

thanks for the links to vannihagen... ill definately look into it :D

If you have pics of your systems, im sure the rest of the forum would love to see it .. me too ofcourse..

Where in norway are you located ?

-vidar-

hey paul .. yes...im vidar halvorsen ( do you know me.. or .. me you ?? :P ) the idea with the RFDs are nice.. but im thinking actually here in the philipines where the idea is soon to settle down and enjoy a little less hectic day than corporate life back home requires :P .. hence the idea of corporate agriculture, aquaphonics.. fish primarily to sustain and aid the farmer who'll do the farming itself ( or farmers, depending on how big this ends up being ) ....

thanks for the links to vannihagen... ill definately look into it :D

If you have pics of your systems, im sure the rest of the forum would love to see it .. me too ofcourse..

Where in norway are you located ?

-vidar-

No I don't know you just made a gues from your forum name (vihalvor).

As for now I'm not running a traditonal AP setup do to a nuber off reasons but mainly the new regulations(2006 water directive) here, that only alow goldfish/koi in outdoor systems, witout a comercial license.

I have a open loop system running pics of construction phase here http://www.vannihagen.no/forum/threads/andedammen.161/.

I'm in the process off building a slow sandfilter for polishing water 6x6x4 m, 144m3 (144000 litre) so the dimensions or scale is beyond the normal backyard setups.

Anyhow I will newer turn comercial you can't compete with open chage aquacultur here, and I droped out off that in 1987, still I help out or give a hand when needed last time it was 30.000 2kg seatrout runaways (torn chage).

The chages is anchored beetwen some isles that belong to my farm.

I'm mainly intrested in AP do to the sustainabilyty reasons, I'm a fan off permaculture, and have been inwolved restoring creeks (spaning habitats) and natural waterways/ponds/lakes, since the 70's (acid rain) .

I did classes on aquaculture early 80's (trout/perch/ell/charr/mussels) but I took a strong dislike in the lack off regulations towards polution(nature), better now but still a long way to go IMO.

Fishing wild fish is free here as you know, and growing season for wegetables short, so to me this (AP) is a hobby(big) related to my love for nature and wild life.(IMO RAS onshore with AP is the sustainable way to do AQ)

I have a big shed I'm slowly converting in to a year round AP set up, but it's a 5-10 years project, and DIY and primarely free building materials, so it might take even longer?

PAUL

hmmm... i looked at your place.. its seems STRANGELY familiar... i did for the last... 8 years live in kristiansand... are you far from there?

... and seeing from that forum post you had there.. i will NEVER opt for an outdoor thing in Norway.. hehehe.. but.. since i have access to the family farm ( cllosed ) .. then i have no problems converting the old barn to an experiment of sorts :P .. that farm is in bergen however.. so .. :P

vihalvor

Even with multiple tanks can be run with one Pump. The one pump can also provide aeration too.

hmmm... i looked at your place.. its seems STRANGELY familiar... i did for the last... 8 years live in kristiansand... are you far from there?

... and seeing from that forum post you had there.. i will NEVER opt for an outdoor thing in Norway.. hehehe.. but.. since i have access to the family farm ( cllosed ) .. then i have no problems converting the old barn to an experiment of sorts :P .. that farm is in bergen however.. so .. :P

Hei Vidar

You might have been around my place it's only 20-25 min car drive from Kristiandsand central station and my home has prety much allways been considered a institution amongst friends/folks so you might have been here? and/or ouer paths might wery well have crossed? lets PM on that matter?

Paul

Hi Vidar,

If I was considering a venture on this scale, I'd probably separate the fish and plant growing operations. I'd put all of the fish tanks onto a common filtration module (or two) so that they functioned as a recirculating aquaculture system.

I'd use the water from the fish system sump tanks for the plants.

Gary

yeah ... i watched the " secrets of aquaponics" by Murray Hallam yesterday, and i realized the need for sump and filtration tanks from there :D .. an industrial scale aquaponics system must definitively be with sump tanks, integrated filtration, and separate fish tanks...

I realized that for something like that, i will need to do a lot more research and invest a lot more... so .. i will research and experiment for a few years to come yet :P ... the farm itself i might buy a few years from now, but i realized there is no way i can set up and run an industrial AP farm for a while to come yet :P .. might just start with HP first to learn ...

I must say thou.. i learned a LOT yesterday from that film alone.. im born and raised on a farm so i know the concepts of farming, the physics and physiology of plants, and a fair bit more, but i saw that i will probably have to start differently than i thought...

... so from where i stand, a floating raft HP system is probably the way to go, with adding fish later.. fish will not be the moneymaker anyway :P

To Vihalvor,

Let us meet when you are here. I am residing at Tangub, Bacolod City Tel 034 458 7262 or 09434961441. 

I am 73 years old and graduated from the University of the Philippines in Diliman.