Fordy2110

Fordy's Chicken Coop

15 posts in this topic

As promised I thought I would share my design for a chicken coop. As with my aquaponic system, room for a chicken coop was an issue. I like to use my space wisely.

The choice I had for the space in mind was to put in a water tank or a chicken coop. Why not have both! At this point you might think ducks would be better suited.

All to often when we are planning something in the garden we all think horizontally. We rarely look at vertical options. Vertical planning also played a big part in my aquaponics system.

Simply, the idea is to put things that don't move at the bottom and things that do move at the top. The more layers you have the more room you save.

IMG00025-20101215-1833.jpg[/img]

I wanted chickens for eggs, not eating. Mainly the chickens were to provide the kids with the experience. Again the garden was to be maintained so chooks that scratch up the ground were out. I settled for pekin bantams and although their eggs are small thay are regular layers. I also wanted to get 5 or 6 bantams with individual colouring so the kids could easily identify each one.

IMG00022-20101215-1817.jpg[/img]

This view shows the coop. All raised to allow for the water tank (1000lt) to sit underneath. The bantams are free range but do have food in the coop. Also water, laying boxes and roost.

IMG00036-20110303-1917.jpg[/img]

From the front (below) you can see my work shed on the left. All water for the storage tank is collected from this roof.

IMG00019-20101215-1815.jpg[/img]

Looking from the back you can see the water tank sitting under the coop. Every thing was designed around the water tank.

You can also see the little hatch to access the egg boxes. The whole side were there is wire mesh can be removed for easy cleaning.

IMG00038-20110304-0728.jpg[/img]

Extremely nice coop you built.. I really like the design and craftsmanship that you put in to it.. Well Done !!!

That looks nice! Can the baby chicks make it up those steps? I have a small A frame on the ground that my chicks stay in for about a month until they can make it up into the main coop.

nice coop...I like the idea of having the chickens above the water storage container :)

That looks nice! Can the baby chicks make it up those steps? I have a small A frame on the ground that my chicks stay in for about a month until they can make it up into the main coop.

They were two weeks old before being let out. I only had to monitor their progress on the first day (more so to make sure the dog didn't harm them). Only one had trouble on the first day. Its amazing how mobile they are at a young age and even more determined. Once the mother hen called them in to eat or sleep it was a mad rush up the stairs.

Another great looking result using limited space..congrats again!

Cheers,

Shane.

Our local regulations prevent me from letting the chickens have the run of the yard. I do a combination of chicken tractor and paddock. The chicken tractor is 4' x 6' in footprint with a second story under the roof where they nest and roost. It has wheels on one end and a handle on the other end. I move it once a day around the lawn and they love to eat the dandelions and other broad leaf weeds. I use a mower to tidy up but the chickens do a good job of fertilizing and cutting the grass. I let them into the paddock now and then and hose down the chicken tractor. The paddock is 10' x 4' in footprint, and covered to keep them from flying out. The paddock is a strip of ground where they can scratch and dig to their hearts' content. coop.jpg

Edited by Patchu
resize image (see edit history)

Hi Fordy,

Great chicken coop......and a great response to anyone who says that they don't have enough backyard space to keep chickens.

Gary

I love chickens. I do feel for the truckloads of them that go by here in subzero temps with no protection from the windchill factor as they go down the road at 60 mph. I know they are going to be slaughtered and have no problem with that, but I'm not one for making animals suffer. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
Old Prospector likes this

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

I love chickens. I do feel for the truckloads of them that go by here in subzero temps with no protection from the windchill factor as they go down the road at 60 mph. I know they are going to be slaughtered and have no problem with that, but I'm not one for making animals suffer. 

Not only freezing temps, but think of the ones that are in middle of the bottom of the stack, they may be warmer than the ones on the outside, but they get Peed and Pooped on from the ones above.

So if you were one of those chickens, were would you want to be on the stack?

My preferred position is on the outside front. The cold freezing air would put me in a brain freeze, just before I get whacked. No pain, No gain.

Cecil likes this

On 30 November 2016 at 10:40 AM, Fordy2110 said:

It seems my chicken coop photos have also disappeared

photo IMG00036-20110303-1917.jpg photo IMG00019-20101215-1815.jpg 

photo IMG00025-20101215-1833.jpg

Hi Fordy,

Good to hear from you again.

We lost all of the forum photos several years ago during an ill-conceived attempt to upgrade the forum software.  We subsequenty recovered them but, by that time, it was impossible to restore them to their original positions.

I remember both your aquaponics and chicken projects as being aesthically-pleasing and innovative.

Gary

Edited by GaryD (see edit history)