Fordy2110

My slim line aquaponics system

The new build is progressing well. Clading now finished

P1000735.jpg

You can now get a better appreciation of what the final product will look like. There is an access hatch to the FT which doubles as a seat. (This system is located right next to the BBQ so the seat will come in handy)

P1000736.jpg

P1000737.jpg

The side of the system also has two access hatches.

P1000766.jpg

The hatch under the GB will allow for access the the pluming including under the syphon. It will also provide storage for bits and pieces.

P1000767.jpg

The hatch behind the FT provides access to the IBC drainage tap. I'll also use this area to store the fish food and electrics.

P1000768.jpg

Both of these hatches and secured shut with a simple toggle latch

P1000769.jpg

Well, Fordy

My wife loves your project, now she wants something like that. I just laughed and told her to call you for the pretty stuff.

Nice looking systems :) hopefully I can get something similarly visually pleasing.

How will you get your fish in and out of your IBC now it is all boarded in?

Access to the FT is under the seat. It is hinged so the seat just lifts up. It will all make sense after this coming weekend. I'm up to the plumbing stage so the next lot of photos should make it clearer

Once again, your displaying your talents with your manual dexterity & eye for aesthetics.

Well done....looking just beautiful:)

Thanks for sharing the build with us.

Once again, your displaying your talents with your manual dexterity & eye for aesthetics.

Well done....looking just beautiful:)

Thanks for sharing the build with us.

Thanks Shane. I was hoping to get to the plumbing this weekend but time got away from me. I spent alot of time cleaning out my first system, getting rid of the catapillars, and setting the beer traps for the slugs. On Friday I counted 3 Murray Cod in one tank and 8 in the other. On sunday I could only count 2 Murray Cod and 8 in the other tank. I wasn't able to determine were the lost fish was until the biggest of the cod appeared (with a guilty look on its face) with a fat gut. You could almost make out the shape of the poor fish inside. I'm not sure if the Murray Cod were a good idea!

Anyway, I'll hopefully finish the plumbing next weekend and should have the water circulating. With a bit of luck I might even get some winter plants in

Hi Fordy,

Your use of hardwood decking certainly allows you turn sow's ears (IBC's) into silk purses. Great work!

I'm not sure if the Murray Cod were a good idea!

They can be an awkward fish to get along with......but you'll get to take your revenge eventually.

Gary

All up and running through the cycle stage. I have 'seeded' the water with some water from my other system. I'll monitor the readings over the next week or so. I might put a sacrificial goldfish in if the cycling process appears slow.

post-4582-13795789707959_thumb.jpg

post-4582-13795789707457_thumb.jpg

Fordy,

Your system looks like it could win a beauty contest. Thanks very much for my Mrs stating " Why doesn't our system look anywhere near as good as that one when I stupidly showed her your photos.

Seriously very aesthetically:biggrin: pleasing

Just discovered this thread. An impressive system Fordy. Those growbeds are a neat job and I like the whole integrated look with the timber and doors for the FT. Just beautiful, like a craftsman built piece of AP furniture.

Cheers

dave

awesome looking setup Fordy - do you think that you had enough grow bed volume for say two people?

I can get my hands on a 6x2x2 glass tank for nothing, and this would be the perfect usage scenario...

also, do you have any piping schematic for how you plumbed the grow beds?

Cheers,

Andrew

awesome looking setup Fordy - do you think that you had enough grow bed volume for say two people?

I can get my hands on a 6x2x2 glass tank for nothing, and this would be the perfect usage scenario...

also, do you have any piping schematic for how you plumbed the grow beds?

Cheers,

Andrew

6x2x2 is about 750lt so you could have 750lt of grow bed or even more. I've only got 550lt of grow bed. Enough to grow lots of stuff but I still need to go to the fruit and vegi shop. I need to feed four people though.

You are most welcome to come around and have a look at my system. Just send me a message.

Cheers

Hi Fordy,

Throw the feed into them and harvest them when the weather gets sub-optimal.......regardless of their weight....lest you lose them.

Do you have filtration on this system?

Gary

Hi Fordy,

Throw the feed into them and harvest them when the weather gets sub-optimal.......regardless of their weight....lest you lose them.

Do you have filtration on this system?

Gary

No filtration on this system. I have set it up with water circulation that amasses solid waste into the corner of the fish tank. Its a one stubbie job every second or third day to siphon the solid waste. I have rigged up a siphon system where all I need to do is turn the tap on for a few seconds and the solid waste is gone. Seems to be working ok at the moment.

Hi Fordy,

No filtration on this system. I have set it up with water circulation that amasses solid waste into the corner of the fish tank. Its a one stubbie job every second or third day to siphon the solid waste. I have rigged up a siphon system where all I need to do is turn the tap on for a few seconds and the solid waste is gone. Seems to be working ok at the moment.

It doesn't matter how solids removal occurs, so long as it does.

Do you find that much gunk accumulates under your syphon arrangement?

Well done!

Gary