Fordy2110

My slim line aquaponics system

152 posts in this topic

Nice Fordy,:)

Was that one the largest ? or did you just grab one randomly ?

Nice Fordy,:)

Was that one the largest ? or did you just grab one randomly ?

Random catch. There are clearly bigger fish in the system. One in particular is about 100mm longer and clearly a better swimmer because he didn't come up in the net.

Hi Fordy,

Congratulations! One's first home-grown fish dinner is a special occasion.

Gary

This fish was given to a work mate who has put up with me going on about aquaponics for the last few years. At some point I must of promised him a fish and he has reminded me monthly. I'm sure he will enjoy it. I'm having friends around this coming weekend for the first spring BBQ - they will be eating smoked trout.

Forgive me father for I have sinned.  It has been 4 years 2 months and 20 days since my last post.  Please stop sending me emails to remind me.

My systems have now been running for 6 years.  Four years ago I put some murray cod in one tank.  10 fish went in at a size of about 2cm.  Today one survives, and she's about 40cm long and would weigh well over 1.5 kg.  She has a personality that surprises me daily and as a result I treat her as a pet rather than a nice meal.

Over the last year I also managed to keep alive four trout through a Australian summer.  Each is now well over the 1.5kg and I suspect one would be over 2kg.  These I consider 'not pets' and I think one or two will make it to the Christmas table this year.

Lessons learnt after 7 years in the hobby - never ever over stock your systems with fish.  If the literature suggests you're system can handle ten fish then only put in five.  As the old saying goes "one bad apple can spoil the bunch" - its the same in an aquaponics system - if you over stock and one fish dies there is a good chance other will as well.

ande, Caca and kellenw like this

Hi Fordy2110

Thanks for your update :)

You have to disable the email in your profile to avoid the emails  after the forum upgrade, your settings where all auto reset :lol:

A lot of your posted pics is lost in the thread :( such pitty IMO 

I hope you find time to post some new pics within the next 4+ years :lolu:

cheers

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2011 at 4:48 PM, Fordy2110 said:

Thanks for the image link. I hope this works. This is the frame of my system. I have used steel tube. The grow beds are recycle bin bought from Bunnings. 6 in total plumbed into two groups of three.

IMG00047-20110423-1459-1.jpg[/img]

a>

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2011 at 4:48 PM, Fordy2110 said:

Thanks for the image link. I hope this works. This is the frame of my system. I have used steel tube. The grow beds are recycle bin bought from Bunnings. 6 in total plumbed into two groups of three.

IMG00047-20110423-1459-1.jpg[/img]

a>Early stages of construction

Edited by Fordy2110
Trying to reinsert photos (see edit history)

@Fordy2110

Thanks for the update!  Sorry about the multiple emails by the way.  That shouldn't happen again.  The email queue was a bit misconfigured following the latest major update we did to the forum software.  All fixed now. :)

Thanks for sharing.  I'm looking forward to more updates!

Hi again

Great stuff thanks for sharing

cheers