Fordy2110

My slim line aquaponics system

152 posts in this topic

They seem to look happy, I like the video link, keep up the great work..

3 weeks since the trout were introduced to the system. All survived and growing well. I'm still having trouble with rats or possums getting into the GB's. Its starting to look like Fort Knox, however I am starting to see some excellent growth. I thinking of putting a permanent roof over the system something that would resemble a glass house. This would allow me to cage in the area which should eliminate access to whatever is eating the plants. Again any further works will have to get approval from my landscape designer and stylist.

DSCF9651.jpg

DSCF9652.jpg

Looking great fordy, Sorry to hear about the pest problem. I am sure you will remedy that is short order. :)

I think I have the possums under control but clearly the rats are still getting to the plants. For the last two weeks I have reverted to the traditional snap traps with little success - until this morning.

IMG00120-20110728-0743.jpg

Still having a little trouble with the rats but starting to see some great growth. Things will only improve as we move into spring. Apart from the rats I have another pest issue. Aphids. They have restricted themselves to the spring onions and garlic so apart from eating my plants they also have really smelly breath.

IMG00147-20110822-0801.jpg

I recieved a new camera for farther's day so I tested it out on the aquaponics. As for an update - I have eliminated the aphids by totally removing the effected plants and I used the extra grow bed area to put in tomatos. I've also added some extra filtration to the system - I'll post some photos soon.

As for the trout, I think it will be a race against the warmer weather. While the biggest is not far from the pan, the smallest is some months away.

P1000090.jpg

The warmer weather is helping with the plant growth though.

P1000040.jpg

It seems like forever since I heard from you... Welcome back. I am in the same boat aquaponics is great, insects are a pain in the neck.. In American a 6 inch trout was called a pan-ners which meant for us it was legal size for eating and they do taste great at six inches.. breakfast trout. Yummy !!! They have a something that can be used from what I have heard read the quote below. I can't wait to get my hands on some of this stuff..

Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is an insecticide with unusual properties that make it useful for pest control in certain situations. Bt is a naturally occurring bacterium common in soils throughout the world. Several strains can infect and kill insects. Because of this property, Bt has been developed for insect control. At present, Bt is the only "microbial insecticide" in widespread use.

Just don't know if they have a strain for killing aphids..

Latest update. Trout are coming out as the menu dictates and I have put in 12 Murray Cod fingerling. The cod are only an inch long an may have to keep them over two seasons. They have been in for a little over a week with no loses. Not sure if they are eating but they become very active when the food settles on the bottom of the FT.

Plant growth is amazing at the moment. Tomatos have taken over but I haven't seen any fruit setting yet.

P1000433.jpg

Its all looking great, you need to eat some more vegies though;)

Have you overcome the rat problem Fordy?

Where did you get the small order of Murray Cod from?

Its been a while since I've last posted to this thread - well overdue for an update. My first system is now just under a year old. First lot of fish came out some months ago (before Christmas). Currently I have 12 Murray Cod in and 3 eel-tailed catfish. All going well heading into autumn.

The big news is that I've started to construct a second system. Again the final product needed to look attractive and blend into the existing garden. The next few posts will track the progress of the build.

The new system will comprise a 1000lt IBC and 200lt GB

To start I needed to create the space. The IBC will be set down into the ground by about 500ml

P1000694.jpg

To ensure the IBC was set on a solid base I poured a concrete slab including a simple drainage pipe set into the ground (aggie pipe)

P1000698.jpg

P1000700.jpg

Time to see if all my measurements were correct! This photo start to show how high the FT will be compared to the existing deck.

P1000702.jpg

I've positioned the new system as close to the first system as possible in the hope to connect the two. If I do I have a total of 2000lt and about 450lt GB

P1000703.jpg

THis new system will have the same look and feel as the old one. To do this I had to create a frame to support the timber clading. This photo shows what the finished system setup will look like.

P1000706.jpg

Frame finished and painted with rust guard. Hopefully I've enough support under the GB to hold the weight.

P1000710.jpg

P1000711.jpg

I want to try and insulate the FT. To do this I used polystyrene boxes and filled in the the gaps of both frames.

P1000712.jpg

I used a sharp knife to cut the boxes.

P1000713.jpg

Long time no see Fordy, Glad to see you are still around.. I see you are hard at with your new project.. Looking stellar as always :)