Fordy2110

My slim line aquaponics system

152 posts in this topic

i'm not sure about issues, except if you make too big a change to the ph, that will affect the fish (stress them)

Anyone want to speak out against using vinegar? I did a little research and the only places where I people we speaking poorly about using vinegar was hydroponics forums where they claim it cause bacteria growth. Bacteria growth is desired in aquaponics so I don't see it as a problem.

I think it has to do with the vinegar being unstable and breaking down somehow causing the effect to not last very long. Although I have no personal experience using vinegar, just what I've read on the forums.

I also heard the same thing about using Lemon juice, Don't use it. But why I really don't know..

Same reason as vinegar. Come to think of it I might have read this on the cannabis forums, those folks know their hydroponics. LOL

Hi Fordy,

Very nice looking system there,

Re - Your pH at 7.8.

I cycled my system at pH 7.8 and did not use anything to bring it down. Once cycled, it drifted down on it's own. It got to stage where I was buffering it up every 1 or two weeks with slacked lime.

If I were you, and I know I'm not.Like Shane, I wouldn't touch the pH at all. Because If you adjust it down to 7.0 it will mean you will only have to start buffering your water up sooner.

If you must adjust your water down, then most people use Hydrochloric acid, but please be careful and protect yourself and eyes when using it. Lemon can be used but most folk prefer Hydrochloric acid.

Cheers.

I couldn't help myself. I went ahead and made the doors to my system.

IMG00095-20110611-1548.jpg

IMG00097-20110611-1552.jpg

I have also added some solar lights. Not so much for the fish. More for me so they can be viewed through the portholes.

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. If I ever start over with a new system, I'm going to hire you to design and build it.

Really wonderful looking system. You outdid yourself my friend! Makes me almost ashamed to post my cobbled together system! I am going to have to hide this thread from the wife ;-)

Thanks again for such beautiful workmanship!

Finished. No fish yet (should be getting to the hatchery in two weeks). Planning to put 10 rainbow trout in the bigger of the two tanks and 6 Murray Cod in the other. No major problems with the system other than the possums getting into the grow beds. I've had to put up netting to deter them. At the moment it seems to be working.

Below shows the finished product

IMG00101-20110620-0756.jpg[/img]

..and with the doors open

IMG00103-20110620-0758.jpg[/img]

I've also installed solar lights

IMG00104-20110620-0758.jpg[/img]

Fordly's Elegant slim line system. looks very cool. congrats.

Nice looking setup! I also used six separate bins, plumbed into two sets with ABS plumbing parts. I used shower drains with stainless steel filters in each bin. It has been performing really well with no perceptible delay in draining. My system emphasized space available and looks way more industrial than your lovely setup.

Hi Fordy,

Your system goes from strength to strength.

Have you considered starting the cycling process prior to the arrival of your fish (fishless cycling)?

Any further thoughts on integrating filtration into your system?

Gary

Love your setup ... hope you can share systems drawings with us .. this looks like the type of system we all would love to have on our patio, or even in basement ( with sun lights :smile: )

i sure would love to have drawings of it , so i can set up something like this when i get back home ..

-vidar-

Love your setup ... hope you can share systems drawings with us .. this looks like the type of system we all would love to have on our patio, or even in basement ( with sun lights :smile: )

i sure would love to have drawings of it , so i can set up something like this when i get back home ..

-vidar-

Hoping to find time to draw up the plans. If you can point me to an application (free) that would be suitable it will save me some time.

Hi Fordy,

Congrats..you've built both a fantastic looking slim line AP set up & a chookhouse that also utilises the available space to incorporate a water tank.

I think we're all wondering..what are you going to use those great carpentry skills of yours on next?

Cheers,

Shane.

Hi Fordy,

Congrats..you've built both a fantastic looking slim line AP set up & a chookhouse that also utilises the available space to incorporate a water tank.

I think we're all wondering..what are you going to use those great carpentry skills of yours on next?

Cheers,

Shane.

If I can get my kids accommodated in the hallway I'll have two whole rooms for new indoor ap systems

If I can get my kids accommodated in the hallway I'll have two whole rooms for new indoor ap systems

LOL...we'll look forward to watching your 'Building bunk beds in the hallway' thread then:)

Cheers,

Shane.

My wife read your post.. I heard the loud "WHAT?"

She had me ROFL I swear she thought you were serious.. funniest thing I every seen was the look on her face... Good one fordly

Hi Fordy,

Your system goes from strength to strength.

Have you considered starting the cycling process prior to the arrival of your fish (fishless cycling)?

Any further thoughts on integrating filtration into your system?

Gary

Thanks Gary. I consider my system cycled. No ammonia or nitrite and nitrate rising. I've had no time to make a trip to the hatchery so have put 10 goldfish and 20 baby yabbies in (< 1cm in length). No recordable change in ammonia readings.

I've no additional filtration however I have put in two power heads for water circulation. Any solids now remain in the water colomn and eventually pumped back into the gb's. I'll monitor the quality of the water and add mechanical filtration if needed.

I'm still having trouble with possums. Starting to take orders for my new winter clothing range.

Brilliant work in making your system compact and presentable. I think you are on a winner there. I will certainly keep watching this thread to read about your progress. Good luck with it all.

First 'real stock' have arrived. 15 Rainbow Trout. THey have been in the tank for a week now and all doing well. Click on image to watch the video. Trout - week 1 in the system <a  href=th_VID00002-20110710-1231.jpg' alt='th_V