Fordy2110

My slim line aquaponics system

152 posts in this topic

After all my careful planning I have made the first of no doubt several errors. The fish feeder. I couldn't fit it in between the top of the tank and the bottom of the grow bed.. An easy fix, I just had to move the access doors up 1 plank.

IMG00077-20110604-1246.jpg[/img]

'Thats my dog Macca. He will be an expert in aquaponics by the time this project is finished.'

IMG00087-20110604-1331.jpg[/img]

Not long now before the fish go in. I think I go for rainbow trout (15) in one tank and murray cod (20) in the other. I'm more than happy to take advice on this.

IMG00086-20110604-1330.jpg[/img]

This photo shows Macca again, plus the space I have to access the tanks.

Wow you've outdone yourself there man, what an awesome system. Umm cod will do great, as for the trout just make sure the water temps stay somewhat cool, i do they can live in very warm water like 35C, but the grow a lot faster in cooler temps, but it looks that they will be well shaded so you shouldn't have a problem. Have you thought of what food you are going to feed them?

Brown Trout, they do very very well for him. He harvested some not to long ago at about a pound and a half. Also they are legal in the states, so finding them shouldn't be to hard.

Here's the video of him introducing the trout into his system.

I asked him in a pm what his water temps where due to it being summer in australia, and he reported back to me bewteen 28-35C and he said sometimes it would go days with it being 35C water temp, he just made sure the trout had some shade and also fed them in the evening due to it being to hot in the daytime. Hope this helps, if you watch more of his videos you'll see by video 49 that he harvests them.

Nearly finished the cladding on the front of the system. I'm looking for advice. My idea is to have another set of 2 doors that fold down. The pros for this are

it will protect the glass in the event of any unforseen accident

it will stop the dog harrassing the fish

it will lessen the visual movement outside the tank that may scare the fish

it will help with noise suppression

The cons are

less light for the fish

Having to open the door to check the health of the fish.

Here is what it looks like at the moment

IMG00088-20110605-1248.jpg[/img]

Such a beautiful system, Are you planning any filtration for it??

No filtration at this stage. Each grow bed (6 in total) in the system can be removed for easy cleaning. If I am disciplined with my stocking rate I'm hoping additional filtration will not be needed.

I think it'll be fine, is the side with the glass facing the wall of the house? If so i'd keep it just like that, you need some sunlight for the fish, but just not to much or you'll have major algae buildup.

Hi,

That's a lovely piece of craftsmanship you've got there.....well done! I look forward to seeing it in action.

Am I correct in assuming that you can run the unit as two separate systems?

Do you plan to incorporate any mechanical and supplementary biological filtration into the system?

What fish do you plan to run?

Gary

PS......

Try http://photobucket.com/, they provide free imaging hosting and easy ways to post into online blogs.

You can also post directly onto the forum. The instructions for doing so can be found......here.

Hi,

Am I correct in assuming that you can run the unit as two separate systems?

Do you plan to incorporate any mechanical and supplementary biological filtration into the system?

What fish do you plan to run?

[/url]

The system can be run as two seperate systems if needed. I can certainly have two species of fish at different two different sizes which could be an advantage.

I'm not thinking of any additional filtration, although I have kept a marine aquarium for many years and have more that enough filter hardware in the shed if I need it.

My thoughts on fish - rainbow trout to start. Maybe murray cod in the warmer months. I will monitor the temp over the next six months to see if I can predict water temp in relation to air temp. At this stage the temp has not gone over 10c.

Thanks to all for the kind words on my system, lets hope it performs well over its first year.

Gary,

I remember that guy who wrote something about every system being ugly, I would love for him to see this one.. that would shut him up. Because this has to be the best looking system I have ever seen. Not that yours aren't, they are great, But Fordy2110 has taken it to the next level..

Thanks Pugo. As I said at the start, I wanted something that was practical but looked nice. If things aren't neat and tidy in my backyard I'm in trouble with the wife and I'm not allowed to play.

As for the finishing touches to my system. Thanks to all for the advice, but in my mind it justs seems unfinished. I have the timber but know if I clad the whole frame it will reduce the light to the fish. So what I intend to do is put some perspex port hole in two more doors. THis should allow enough light and also allow the kids a me to view the fish from time to time. This will be my weekend job. (For those that are interested I'm going to start a new thread showing my 'slim line' chicken coop)

Current state of my system below

IMG00090-20110605-1249-1.jpg[/img]

Two questions I have. Where do I buy rainbow trout close to south eastern suburbs of Melbourne?

Currently my pH is around 7.8 - In a thousand litre system how much white vinigar will I need to bring the pH reading down to a acceptable level, that is if white vinigar is the best option?

I've never done the calculations myself, probably should, but I've read that 1mL per gal (3.6L) should drop your pH by 0.3. This is only true if you don't have a lot of reserve alkalinity (basic buffer). I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to drop your pH as it should come down naturally over time.

I should also add that I'm just finishing putting together a new system and my media was bringing my pH up off the scale. So i put about 50 mL of pure white vinegar into a 200 gal system and ended up with my pH dropping from over 8.4 to about 6.2. I have no fish in the system right now so I can get away with rapid pH swings. Still, it was impressive how such a small amount changed the pH so dramatically.

For Rainbows, AFAIK, you'll probably have to go to either Macclesfield, Buxton or Ballarat.

pH..I can't help..I just let my drift down naturally then forever keep buffering it up.

I look forward to your 'coop' thread Fordy 2110.

Cheers,

Shane.

To adjust your pH to around 7.0 using hydrochloric acid (or similar). I'm not sure why but they discourage the use of vinegar. But I am sure others will will chime in on it. As you have lots of tanks and few grow-beds, with no filtration you will be playing the PH balancing act as an on going thing. However everyone does anyway with filtration but it is buffering up as the bacteria produce acid which naturally lowers the Ph.

As mentioned I have posted some details of my "slim line chicken coop"

Forum MICRO-LIVESTOCK CHICKENS FOR MEAT & EGGS Fordy's Chicken Coop

You should use the name of Mr. Slimline.. you are really good building slim line stuff. :)

To adjust your pH to around 7.0 using hydrochloric acid (or similar). I'm not sure why but they discourage the use of vinegar. But I am sure others will will chime in on it.

Anyone want to speak out against using vinegar? I did a little research and the only places where I people we speaking poorly about using vinegar was hydroponics forums where they claim it cause bacteria growth. Bacteria growth is desired in aquaponics so I don't see it as a problem.