Fordy2110

My slim line aquaponics system

152 posts in this topic

G'day. My name is **** Ford. I have recently started an aquaponics project in my backyard. Its my first system but I have been aware of the process for many years.

I will post some development picture as time allows but I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself and describe my system.

I have a decent backyard but once you allow for the shed, swimming pool, chooks, BBQ area, decking, garden, and room for the kids to play there was not much room for an aquaponic system. Other than the above restrictions I needed to find an unused area that received enough direct sun. After alot of thought I looked at the narrow side access. Running north south it seem to have enough sun but the area was long and narrow. I needed a long and narrow system and I wanted it to be at least 1000lt. (can someone direct me to the easiest online photo storage and I'll be able to post some pictures).

I looked at prefab systems but no product was suitable. Other restriction on my new system was the strange looks from my wife. I think her comment was "I don't want an ugly fish tank in my backyard and don't spend too much money".

With all of the above in mind I proceded with contruction. As I have mentioned I will start to post some picture shortly.

Current status - I have just completed planting and now am waiting for the system to cycle and expect to be stocking with fish in two weeks. I looking forward to keeping you all updated.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the administrator of this site, its been great reading.

Hi Fordy, welcome.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your system.

Cheers,

Shane.

G'day. (can someone direct me to the easiest online photo storage and I'll be able to post some pictures).

Hello,

Try http://photobucket.com/, they provide free imaging hosting and easy ways to post into online blogs.

Look forward to seeing your pics

Cat

Welcome to APHQ! I endorse the use of photobucket, I use it myself. Easy to do just post the img link on your post and wala you have it.. I think you will enjoy yourself here a great bunch of people.

Thanks for the image link. I hope this works. This is the frame of my system. I have used steel tube. The grow beds are recycle bin bought from Bunnings. 6 in total plumbed into two groups of three.

IMG00047-20110423-1459-1.jpg[/img]

The idea of the exercise was to have a neat low cost system. The steel was left over from a job and the recycle bins were $20 each. Plumbing cost a bit and I still didn't have the fish tanks.

IMG00048-20110423-1500.jpg[/img]

The above show the total grow bed area. Each tub is 40 litres.

Below shows the standard flood and drain system.

IMG00049-20110423-1500.jpg[/img]

Once all the plumbing was fitted and checked for leaks I was able to move the system into position. The frame and grow beds were an easy carry for two people. I have now ordered the tanks. Because of the odd shape I ordered glass tanks ($$$).

IMG00050-20110423-1633.jpg[/img]

Looking from the other end. The intention is to clad the frmae in decking boards. It all begining to take shape.

IMG00052-20110423-1720.jpg[/img]

The first of the two tanks arrived. This one is 5 foot long. About 400lt. There was a delay with the second tank as the glazier cut the glass to the wrong width. As the system is effectively two systems connected I will still be able to start this end and plant when the silocon cures on the tank

IMG00060-20110507-1419.jpg[/img]

Wow, I love the wood work , looks very professional. Very neat and clean plumbing as well, good job.

Wow. Most of us start with something that looks like Frankenstein's monster. Yours is beautiful! And it sounds like you've planned it very carefully. I'm impressed.

Yup!, very nice indeed.

Although i'm a bit concerned about the space you have to work with your fish. and your siphons plumbing.

Gotta love the wood detail!

Although i'm a bit concerned about the space you have to work with your fish. and your siphons plumbing.

Most of the plumbing you see in the first photos is to allow for each grow bed to fill evenly. I will take a photo to show the detail of the siphons. The whole system is up and running now (without the fish)

Room to work was always a concern. I have automatic fish feeders on both tanks so daily access requirements will be limited. Design of the tanks and room between the bottom of the grow bed and the top of the tank was considered. I took a practical approach to the initial measurements - I got my old fishing net out of the shed, took it to the tank builder and said when the fish are big enough I need to be able to catch them with this net.

At the end of the day space was always going to be limited. I couldn't afford to see this as a problem,, and have designed the system with this in mind.

:) i really like this, see this is the kinds of idea that sells. What woman wouldn't want one of these in their backyard. :P haha it's us guys that get suckered into buying it for them cuz it looks really good. Also what type of wood are you using.

:) Also what type of wood are you using.

The timber is 'merbu', an Australian plantation hardwood. Normally you would use a wood oil to protect and keep the colour. I haven't because of the chance that the oil finds its way into the system.

Great looking system,

& excellent use of the minor space you had available..congrats !

I'm hoping your neighbours don't make any complaints about water noise..as they are very close in proximity.

Cheers,

Shane.

Oh..& I forgot to ask,

What sort of fish do you want to run?

Cheers,

Shane.

Great looking system,

& excellent use of the minor space you had available..congrats !

I'm hoping your neighbours don't make any complaints about water noise..as they are very close in proximity.

Cheers,

Shane.

Neighbours can be bribed with the promise of fresh fish and vegies. I have managed to reduce the noise so you only hear the final gurrgle when the syphon breaks. The only other noise is the constant hum of the aerator.

As for fish - it will be either rainbow, murray cod or barra. Given the temperature at the moment I'm thinking cod. I reluctant to look at perch due to my preference in taste.

Well, Congrats on the system looks very nice, Have the same issues here with neighbors being so very close. can't do anything like waterfalls, dripping water so on and so forth. So I will build a continuous flow system and try to find the quietest aeration unit possible.

Neighbours can be bribed with the promise of fresh fish and vegies. I have managed to reduce the noise so you only hear the final gurrgle when the syphon breaks. The only other noise is the constant hum of the aerator.

OK..thats great if noise & the neighbours aren't going to be a problem for you.

As for fish - it will be either rainbow, murray cod or barra. Given the temperature at the moment I'm thinking cod.

Do you intend to heat the system over winter for Cod or Barra?

I reluctant to look at perch due to my preference in taste.

Eel-Tailed Cat's are another possibility for down here also.

Cheers,

Shane.

Second tank arrived and is now up and running. Basically I have two systems running that are connected. This may have advantages when it comes to stocking fish. As well as being able to rotate the plantings I will be also able to rotate the fish stock or stock two species. Effectively I have doubled up on all equipment. Including solar pumps for water circulation

IMG00073-20110604-1245.jpg[/img]

IMG00085-20110604-1254.jpg[/img]

Both tanks have been set up. They are joined by some simple plumbing. I have stored all the electric cables in an off the shelf outdoor electric box ($30)

IMG00078-20110604-1247.jpg[/img]