Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jobney

In sump moving bed filter(k1) vs trickle filter

11 posts in this topic

Should I try to double the use of the sump tank and also make it a moving bed filter with K1? It would mean not having to build and plum a trickle filter. I guess the air added to the sump to move the k1 should add DO into the system. The pump would also be dropping water into the Fish tank. I could also put air in the fish tank as well but with a waterfall I'm not sure it's needed.

I think all I need to make a standard sump/pump a moving bed bio filter is k1 media and a divider to keep the k1 out of the pump.

Let me know what you think.

I think the K1 is a little large to be sucked up by the pump. Of course I have not seen your pump to know for sure. I know Gary uses K1 in the sump pump setup. But if you use a aeration tank for mineralization like what you spoke of and a moving bed filter, no need to place trickle filter too. A moving bed filter process so much more waste water than a trickle filter. I have to worry about my neighbors here everyone lives so close to you. so almost everyone is very quiet. not sure what is going to be said when my backyard system gets going.

Hi Jobney,

I plan to add another 200 litre "sump"(44 gallon Plastic drum) to my system in which I will have 50 litres of K1 media With a manifold placed on the bottom with an airline attached to it. That It will have to wait until I get a high volume Hi blow air pump to cope with the extra air demand for the moving bed bio filter and the amount of air required for my Trout or Barramundi.

I will have 3 or more 200 litre drums, the first 1 or 2 will act as purely a sump in which a pump will live, prior to that/them, I will have another 200 litre drum with the moving bed bio filter and, prior to that, I will have my solids separator, so water will come from the fish tanks, to the grow beds, to the separator, to the bio filter, to the sump/s then be pumped to my fish tanks, to start the cycle again.

I intend to have a separate bio filter, as you will need plenty of air to agitate the K1 as air and water mixed together can be detrimental to a pump.

IMO if you can rig your pump so it sits well below the air manifold and no air can get into the inlet of your pump then you should be fine, but personally, I would still do what I could, to have a separate sump.

Also if you can have a trickle filter as well as all the other filtration, that has got to be a plus IMO.

Cheers.

Have you used a HiBlow air pump before? How do you like them?

Hi Jobney,

That It will have to wait until I get a high volume Hi blow air pump to cope with the extra air demand for the moving bed bio filter and the amount of air required for my Trout or Barramundi.

Hi Jobney,

Should I try to double the use of the sump tank and also make it a moving bed filter with K1?

The dual purpose moving bed bio-filter and sump tank is a feature of my Queenslander design.

Gary

Hi Jobney,

No I haven't used a hiblow before, but from all reports they seem to be a very attractive way to go when aerating systems my size.

I know the Sonic hiblow pumps 125 litres per hour at 85 watts

the Hi Blow pumps 100 litres at 100 watts

The Airtech pumps 95 litres per hour at 62 watts

All on 240 volts so the wattage will be more on 110 volts.

It all depends on how much you want to outlay initally I think.

Hey Guys, Gary out laid a system he thinks would be the best option for me, But it looks like I am going to need some serious pumping action. So do you guys have any ideas on what I should get, Medium range would be nice.. I have to aerate a FT, Moving bed filter and a mineralization tank.

That's the same issue I'm having. I too want to have a small Moving bed filter and mineralization (aeration tank) and can't get info on how many liters per minute I need to work it. I was planing on not aerating the fish tank and using the water from the pump to aerate it. I could transfer air from the mineralization tank to the fish tank if the water pump failed or get an air pump with enough extra capacity to do all three. (like your system). I have a thread here asking the same questions you are. http://www.aquaponicshq.com/forums/showthread.php/6035-Air-and-Water-Pumps At post #9 I lay it out. I'm stuck at air pump selection until I can get some kind of pall park answer. I have a feeling it's 60 or 65 LPM I need but I'm not sure. I'm going to attempt to avoid air stones and just use small holes drilled into PVC.

Hey Guys, Gary out laid a system he thinks would be the best option for me, But it looks like I am going to need some serious pumping action. So do you guys have any ideas on what I should get, Medium range would be nice.. I have to aerate a FT, Moving bed filter and a mineralization tank.

You could try wood aerators, or one of those fancy bladder aerators, But I will stick with air stones, Think I will find the largest one I can afford I saw a pond aerator something like $250.00 that looks like it would do the job. I think I would be better off with more than I need than not enough.. The one I am looking at is called Alita I think it is a AL-100 or AL-250 I just remember that it was green. Here is the link to there page.

http://www.alita.com/airpump/index.php

Looks like alita is the maker for hakko, as they said they are willing to do OEM for others. You should check their air diffusers you may like them I do..

Oh the Alita is made in Taiwan so the quality is going to be very good.

Funny but great minds always think alike ....LOL