Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gary in Texas

Planning first system in Texas

92 posts in this topic

Before I left, I reduced the 2" stand pipe to a 1 1/2" with an adapter up to 2" and it still didn't take. When I get back into town I will run an extra water line to that bed which should solve the problem.

My mother-in-law has been diligent about the system and reported this morning that

pH at 8.3

Ammonia at 5.0

Nitrites at 2.5

Nitrates at 0

She wants to know if she should continue adding the urine and what can be expected in the next few days.

she can stop adding urine..

wait till the ammonia drops to 0 before dosing again (high ammonia can inhibit the nitrification process)

nitrites will continue to rise, and then the nitrates will start up... then the nitrites should fall to 0 as well..

you're cycled when you dose your system and ammonia and nitrites are back to 0 (or close) 24 hours later

after you add fish, continue to monitor your tests and go light on feeding until you see your system is handling the fish (they produce ammonia from their gills while breathing and they are fine without food for several days)

Yes, it definitely looks like everything is headed in the right direction. Great job!

Just keep waiting looks like it is going the right way at this point, just let keep cycling. Don't do anything just let it run..

The system is running fine and all three bell siphons are working well.

There was an auction yesterday and I was the high bidder on four 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks and an ULTIMA II BIO-MECHANICAL FILTER. I plan on selling the stock tanks on craigslist and installing the filter between the fish tank and the grow beds. Is there a better place for the filter?

Edited by Gary in Texas (see edit history)

I would think you would want to install the supplemental bio filtration between the fish tank and the sump tank.. or between the solids separator and the sump tank. However I don't know what your system design is. So I can't say for sure.. Just my thought on the subject.

I'm by no means an expert but i'd suggest you stick the bio filter before the fish tank, that way the growbeds will have removed the solids to some degree form your water, which will then not clog your bio filter as much, this leaves scope to add solids removal at the point water leaves the fish tank. Hope that makes some sence

Just tested the water and got...

pH 8.2

Ammonia .1

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

It's been near or over 100 F for three or four weeks. Everything is hot even the water in the system. Does the temperature of the water affect the growing bacteria colony and am I ever going to find fish that like hot water?

Looks like it is time to start lowering your PH..(slowly) Is your system is sitting in direct sun light? This could become problematic for you down the road.

Yes, it's in the direct sunlight. If the heat let's up for a day or two I'm going to install the biofilter I bought and build an enclosure (with an opening lid) around the fish tank, sump and filter to eliminate/reduce the problem. what other options do I really have?

Pole shed, over the filtration and fish tank. wouldn't do anything for the winter wind but it would keep the sun off you fish.. The way my system is setup the water is pumped from the sump to the growbeds and the fish tank at the same time. Then the water returns from the growbeds to the sump and the water from the fish tank goes through the filtration system then to the sump.. so much easier that way.. :)

It's been a while. Hope everyone is doing well. My system is up and running. I will try and post some pictures. For the record, I have a sump mostly buried in the ground (275 gallon tote) which feeds a manifold. As of today, the five valve manifold feeds the fish tank (fifteen adults and about 50 brand new fry tilapia) and three 3'X6' grow beds (with bell siphons). I have a swirl filter installed between the fish tank and the sump. Everything seems to be running smoothly. I'm into my system for around $1,500. It's starting to get hot again so we will see what happens to the fish. The thermometer claims the water temperature is about 81.

post-4570-13795790034651_thumb.jpg

The three grow beds.

post-4570-13795790035538_thumb.jpg

A decent cantaloupe.

post-4570-13795790036134_thumb.jpg

Green beans

post-4570-13795790008942_thumb.jpg

post-4570-13795790036721_thumb.jpg

I don't know what this is. The seed package was wet and name tore off when I pulled it apart. We will see soon.

post-4570-13795790037294_thumb.jpg

Basil

post-4570-13795790037881_thumb.jpg

Baby praying mantis

post-4570-1379579003847_thumb.jpg

Tomatoes