Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tigerbronze

Help 21 DAY OLD SYSTEM

40 posts in this topic

thanks pugo,

Nice to know na may pinoy dto sa forum, im suspecting limestone in my gravel, do u think its time to dispose them while it is cycling for 3 week now. or just leave it there, and just add more grow beds.

I think it has to go or you will never get your PH right.. Sorry to say that. But look for river rock or you could even use coco husk as media if you can't get river rock.. or if you want to spend money find hydroton..LOL Nag trabaho ako isang maestro, ang sarap ng pakiramdam na di ako nag iisa dito. Salamat na andito ka nag join sa forum na ito.

Salamat Pugo,

Just to update others

Its Day 23

ammonia = 0.25ppm

nitrite = 0.5ppm

nitrate =40 to 80ppm

pH =8.4

fish = 20 pcs

FT = 200liters

gb = 40liters (planning o add more)

growmedia = charcoal/gravel

temp = 24C

i added water with pH = 6.4 (about 12liters) to the FT, does not have much effect after 2 hours,

pH still 8.4

post-4340-13795788313201_thumb.jpg

I don't know for sure, but I think it has to be the gravel, But as your nitrates are so high I think your system has already cycled. But one thing for sure you need more growbeds. As the plants aren't removing the nitrates. I can't see 20 large Tilapia swim in that tank it looks a little small for that many fish. I know they are small now but later it is going to be a large issue. Then I don't think you want any breeding going on I would remove the fish hides, but that may not stop the breeding but it may slow it down.

thanks kabayan,

i'm having problem with the box below, i cannot make it a growbed cause i have

no location for mt sump

so i'm planning to use the box as the sump for additional grow beds.

i have a picture below that i modified for u to see what i'm planning to do.

propose additional grow will be 6 x 20liters =120liters plus the existing 40liter GB =160 liters.

i'm planning to add tower GB in he future.

post-4340-1379578831378_thumb.jpg

Hi Tiger,

Could you reconfirm how much fish tank and grow bed media you have please, also do you have any other type of mechanical filtration?

Cheers.

musta kabayan

(For the sake of our non-Tagalog speakers, what he said was "how are you my countryman?")

I haven't had much time to get the project going. I still have to buy some growbeds and figure out the mechanical filtration part of it. I'm currently torn between buying food-grade 35L storage containers or a 150L tub for the growbeds. I have yet to find out whether the tub is food grade or not. Nice to see that you're already cycling.

Just like bigdaddy, I'm also curious about the overhead filter you mentioned on the first page of the thread. Does the water go through the gravel in your planter boxes then to the overhead filter before it returns to the tank?

I'm from Bacolod city..
Pugo, your username and your avatar is a dead giveaway that you can speak Tagalog. By the way, my wife is from Dumaguete. Edited by cdelapaz (see edit history)

Did you cycle it with all 15 fingerlings?

Once you get the limestone out and the system is up and running give us the area of the grow bed.

Grow bed size (area) needed is not determined by fish tank volume but by fish weight, stocking density, and how much food the fish are fed. I'll assume your fish are fingerlings at the moment. Since you are adding grow bed space anyway make sure it's enough for the fish when they are at their maximum size.

An old "rule of thumb" based on volume might get you close enough to work but if you really want to know what you need it's not as simple as a single ratio.

There is a nice tool. http://www.aquaponic.com.au/backyard.htm

My wife is from Mindanao. As for myself I have been converted over the years, I'm American but the thinking is Pinoy these days.

Good day guyz,

I just found out, that the cause of the rise in pH of the water in FT, it is not the gravel that i'm suspecting but the charcoal.

I have tested the tap water before introducing a gravel and charcoal separate container. tap water pH =7.4

Then i put the media in the container with water, after 2 days tested the water from the container with gravel pH=7.4 and

the water in the container with charcoal reads pH=8.8.

I'm planning to add more grow bed with the sump below.just like in the photo.

Thanks

What is your charcoal made of? Glad you found the source, I have charcoal in all of my Aquariums it has never caused a Ph spike So this is interesting, I even use charcoal with my orchids, however I never checked PH with my orchids. Sorry about miss leading you.

Affnan's is the Guru of the Bell Siphon, he is pretty good. He does none stop experiments with on his Aquaponics systems. he has now started experiments on prefilter systems, As there isn't much left for him to do with bell siphons.

Hi Tiger,

Could you reconfirm how much fish tank and grow bed media you have please, also do you have any other type of mechanical filtration?

Cheers.

Yes there is a overhead filter(aquarium filter with filtering cloth)the water from the FT is pump to the filter then back down to the FT , fish = 20 red tilapia, grow bed media = 2/3 gravel, 1/3 charcoal each grow bed = 20liters

cdelapaz,

(photo) what i'm planning to add

post-4340-13795788317454_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigerbronze (see edit history)

What is your charcoal made of? Glad you found the source, I have charcoal in all of my Aquariums it has never caused a Ph spike So this is interesting, I even use charcoal with my orchids, however I never checked PH with my orchids. Sorry about miss leading you.

Affnan's is the Guru of the Bell Siphon, he is pretty good. He does none stop experiments with on his Aquaponics systems. he has now started experiments on prefilter systems, As there isn't much left for him to do with bell siphons.

No need to apologize Pugo,

The Charcoal i use is made from hardwood , "kaingin" as they call it. No chemicals,they make from just lighting those wood in fire from the forest.

thanks

Yeah, I didn't think about that, sorry lagi. So where are you at with your system now?