Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pugo

Taiwan Chronicles

549 posts in this topic

As the fish are feeding very slowly, I haven't replanted the other grow bed, but it is still moving a long kind of..:( all that space going to waste.

radompics364.jpg

Oh !! my volunteer papaya tree is doing well. It even has papaya's growing on it..:)

radompics366-1.jpg

I remember when I bought my fish they said something about them being red Tilapia, But I didn't think they were correct. But now I see that they do have touches of red in there fins. But they still look like blue Tilapia to me Maybe they are some kind of a cross breed..??

Nice looking fish,

Thanks for sharing the pic update with us:)

Thanks for the information on the red Tilapia..Jobney

Hi Pugo,

Welcome back!

I hope your visit back home was enjoyable......so tell us about it.

Did your system survive your absence OK?

Gary

Well, everything looked okay so far. I had friends come and add water every couple of days while I was away. I have not found any dead fish, the plants have doubled in size. My wife planted sweet potato stems which nothing more than the left over that you don't eat, they all now have leaves on them to my surprise. The system is as solid as it has always been, other than the minor maintenance that is required.

Funny, Some people consider my system to be an advanced system. To me it is a basic system without all the bells as whistles. but it does a great job with little problem. My fish are breeding and I now have more fish than I started with. I only have to do three things, clean the brush filter and pump, feed fish, plant vegetables. the rest takes care of itself. Gary I am very proud of the system we build. Thanks for the design help.

The trip to the Philippines was interesting to say the least, saw a lot of my old friends still there, there has been a lot of improvement in Gingoog City. I went home to take care of my land title which I have been working on for the last seven years. I am almost finished I just have a couple more fees to pay and it will be completed.

Then the fun starts building a wall around my land and putting up a quail barn, still working out my aquaculture issues. but I have started thinking about raising milk fish in cages, cage farming really does seem like the way to go in the Philippines the elimination of all the land based issues is a huge plus in my book. So I guess I will have to start looking into cage farming a little more and see what I have to do. if I go that route.

Hi Pugo

Nice to see you back.

I think what matters is that a system is functional and mangeable, basic or advanced is irelevant IMO.

cheers

sounds nice.. keep us upfated o that :D ..

as for cage farming.. there will be a lot of LGU fees and " rent" for that too.. the govt and middlemen always find ways to squeeze cash from the honest working businessman...:P

LGU what the heck is that ? Do you mean local government units by chance. And what kind of rent can they charge? But you are right they rape everyone they can :(

local government unit, yes :smile: ..hehe..

i HEARD .. and mind you i might be totally wrong on this.. that there are provisions that allow local government to charge "rent" for caged fisheries... one way or the other they always find a way to get the extra dough...you know... they mayor needs another palace for his mistress-es .... :P .. and he has to finance the palace of the chief police's mistresses ... and so on.. :P

It probably runs under the environmental provisions for fisheries and agriculture, which give the local government rights to demand " MISC-fees", not required to be detailed nearer than " misc Environmental fees" in their original receipt .... something like a legalized robbery for their own (political or private ) money chest...

Well, did my system maintenance today after two weeks of vacation, everything was pretty good over all, just one thing I found a fish in my suckaruppa again. I know this can't swim into it. the cap was on it couldn't have jumped into the top of it as it only has a 1/16 inch gap between the top and the suckaruppa. So I seem to have fry that swim out of the tank and then grow in the pipes until they are large enough for me to catch them.

Hi Pugo,

So I seem to have fry that swim out of the tank and then grow in the pipes until they are large enough for me to catch them.

I had a similar thing happen in the big Nexus system. I removed a strainer in the bottom of the fish tank (to flush the centre drain) and a heap of small fish disappeared down the hole.

It took a heap of effort to remove them (about 13 in total) and things were getting decidedly septic by the time I removed the final one - which had attempted to change direction in the pipe and got jammed......and died.

Gary

It is nice to know I'm not the only one with wayward fish. Oh I reached a new milestone tonight when I got home I went out to check the system as always and what did I find my PH was at 6.9 I thought it would never happen in my system. So I check the temp and it was 25c. Then I checked the water, Ammonia was 0.25 , Nitrites were 0.25, and the Nitrates were 5.0.. Looking good in my book I know my wife is over feeding them again.

Hi Pugo,

Once, we had a jade perch jump out of the tank and disappear under a bench. We found it several months later and it looked like it had been mummified.

Gary

Well time for a little update..

I had an aeration problem the other night. I got a call from my wife saying that my air pump had stopped working and the fish where at the top of the tank trying to get air.. So right after work I rushed home to figure out what happened. the rubber baffle fell apart in the pump, So i went to get a new part. I found that the shop doesn't keep them in stock. So I was forced to buy a new pump.. So I bought a better pump 80 liters per minute.

indoor, outdoor.

radompics068.jpg

radompics067.jpg

Then I had to build a new manifold for the air lines. not the best work but time was limited during the repair..

radompics069.jpg

Edited by Pugo (see edit history)

Now my plants are doing very well right now, as the fish are not feeding as they should because of the cool weather. But here are a few pictures.

My wife planted camote tops in my growbed, which are nothing more than sweet potato greens, they were nothing more than the stems left over from the grocery store.

radompics070.jpg

The chives are doing okay. Mixed in there is a egg plant that just didn't die.

radompics071.jpg

Then the celery which is growing great guns..

radompics072.jpg

The lettuce is gone, I have eaten it :) just a few green onions left. waiting for the weather to turn before I plant. As the fish are only feeding lightly not much in the way of nutrients in the water, So no rush to get things in the beds just yet..

radompics073.jpg

Hi Pugo, Enjoyed reading your thread and have taken alot of information from it. Understanding that you are using constant flow for your grow beds, could you let me know how often they flow? 15/45 or more or less.

I'm just re doing my whole system and have previously used Flood and Drain, but I also want to run some constant flow beds and also some NFT tubes(even going as far as trying F&D NFT Tubes for extra aeration to the roots) , just wanting to get the details right this time as my last system ended in disaster. Thanks for your time.

Matt

Continuous flow means just that.. The water never stops it flows in and flows out continuously, But remember the water has to be highly oxygenated for this to work. The level of the water is controlled by the stand pipe. So if you have seedlings you raise the water level to 1 inch or 2 inches below the media. As the plants start to mature you lower the water level. Until it is about 2 inches at the bottom of the growbed at that point you stop lowering the water and just let it grow.

Here is a picture of the stand pipe.. you just make interchangeable pipe sections to lower the water and to raise the water.

radompics003-8.jpg

Happy to help.. No dumb questions in my book. :)

hey Pugo I was just wanderng what kind of water pump you use for your system.i see you use 2" pipe which is what I want to use. Mine is going to be a litttle different in that I am going to have 2 swirl tanks, filter brush tank, moving bed media tank, and sump tank. Probably about 600 gallons of water total. 300 for the tank and 300 for the other tanks.

Thanks