Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smea87

sexing tilapia

17 posts in this topic

What is the best way/ method of sexing blue tilapia? How do you vent sex. Or can you tell by coloration or behavior? I have 4 tilapia between 3-4 inches in a 55ga for a breeding tank as breeders(they're still young I think), but I think they might all be males. Any advice would be helpful.

They are virtually impossible to sex by appearance, except that males tend to grow a bit faster than females, so are often a bit larger. They can be "vent sexed" reliably, but it is fairly difficult at first, and takes some time for most people to perfect the practice.

An "easier" way for home growers is to put a small group of tilapia in an aquarium of suitable size with some aquarium gravel on the tank floor.... and then just watch them. Males will dig "nests" and defend them aggressively. Females will tend to hide or stay away from the nests unless they are spawning. Every time you see a male doing this "nesting" behavior, net them out and place them in a separate tank. After you no longer see any "nesting" behavior with the remaining fish, it is fairly safe to assume that you have only females left in the tank. Now, go back to that tank with the males you pulled out already, and select the biggest, best looking specimen to put back in with your females. Now you've got a breeder colony! :-)

Edited by kellenw (see edit history)

I currently have blue tilapias digging pits and chasing each other, but i have 2 in 1 pit, a dark chasing male , and a lighter smaller one which i take as a female. She (?!) also helps dig the pit, spitting out gravel! I think their reproductive organs ( both hanging out) are also different shaped? The male seems to have a forward facing spike , and the supposed female has a more rounded protuberance?! guess they must be close to the main event lol.. as this is my first time viewing tilapia cycles, can anyone conform this is corect? thanks , regards

I have a IBC tote that is about 45" deep containing about 6 large wild-caught tilapia and really can't see very well down into the bottom of the tank. Is this tank unsuitable for breeding? What is the best set up for observation and breeding?

Kingjam

With just 6 fish in an IBC, they should spawn just fine. They really aren't all that picky usually.

glass fronted are the best for observation (aquarium or diy glass panel in tank or pond ). I view mine in an aquarium at night with no lights on in the room, and led moonlight effect bulbs strip blue colour in the aquarium. they seem less skittish when they cant see me staring at them . stage fright lol

Edited by mopa
spelling (see edit history)

glass fronted are the best for observation (aquarium or diy glass panel in tank or pond ). I view mine in an aquarium at night with no lights on in the room, and led moonlight effect bulbs strip blue colour in the aquarium. they seem less skittish when they cant see me staring at them . stage fright lol

They just like the romantic mood lighting... ;)

its a bit dry but i recorded a presentation at my last meetup.

how to identify gender in tilapia or how to sex tilapia

Interesting video, the sound of running water, birds and I think I heard a donkey someplace in there:) but it was informative. Thanks for the post.. :)

Vent sexing works great once you know what you are looking for. Two holes its a male. Three its a female. Some magnifying spectacles definitely makes the job easier. The larger the fish-the easier and quicker vent sexing can be. I have heard that use of a dropper with some food coloring can help-never tried it myself as magnifying specs were enough (you may want to try it if you are pushing the limits on size-less than 100grams?).

I'm a member of aquaculture hub. It's a cool site, but more geared towards commercial aquaculture, and a lot of the focus is on Hawaii in particular.

I could probably use your help Kellen As I need to design a 40,000 liter fish farm, for growing Tilapia. I am planning 4/10,000 liter fish tanks, I want to run the system on one pump. Designing tanks, filtration, whether or not I build growbeds is kind in the air right now. and it will be high density as possible. This well be built in the Philippines. planning on building the tanks out of concrete.